“Still needs work to be done”

Sheraton Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #78 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Spent two nights in this hotel because the website stated renovations would be complete by the end of May and I am giving it an average rating instead of poor because it was clean. First the good...the lobby was decorated lovely and the room was very clean. However, two of the elevators were under repair so the wait for one that was working sometimes took longer than expected. The hallways on the 2nd floor were freshly renovated and looked very nice. The room itself was nicely decorated but with a few issues. The HUGE floor to ceiling wall mirror was not firmly attached to wall and could have falling out at anytime. The door to the adjoining room had no lock or handle on it so anyone in the other room could easily walk into mine. We requested a new room since we didnt feel that was a safe idea. It was also missing the remote control. The second room was fine, the bathrooms are rather small with a huge sink that didnt belong in that space and didnt have fans in them. The water was extremely hot and very hard to get to a comfortable temperature so be careful not to just step in. The second night we went for ice and someone had thrown up all in the ice machine and floor...disgusting and very unsanitary and looked like it had been there a few hours so we had to go to another floor to get ice. Called to the front desk and the gentlemen didnt quite know what to do about our concerns, Not sure if they charge for the water they put in the room so we didnt drink it and they do charge for the internet and self parking. The parking lot was a but sketchy and of need a new paving. The lady at the desk when we checked out was very helpful and apologetic but we probably would not stay there again..its downtown but not really in walking distance to restaurants. I wasnt expecting the Ritz but I was expecting better than what I got. Hopefully once all the repairs are made it will be a nicer hotel but before you go I would call and ask if ALL renovations are complete.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank disneyfamily
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Charlotte Hotel

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We were wary to book here, due to the construction for the renovation, but it was completed by the time we arrived. The new decor is beautiful; very uptown chic, with a Manhattan vibe, yet comfortable. The staff was very nice, the location is great for seeing the city; you can easily walk to the parks, Nascar Museum, restaurants, and more.
We were given a parking pass, took our things to our room, and got ready for bed, since we arrived later in the evening. The room is beautifully redone; lots of style, nice view from the room, and a good tv and very comfortable bed. We did experience some problems with the air conditioning turning into heat, seemingly on its' own. There is no way to open a window, so we did work with the controls, and eventually got it to work well enough to fall asleep. I did call down to the desk and report it, and stated that we were too exhausted to change rooms, due to the late hour, after a busy day. It seems as though the trick for the air conditioning is to Not turn the thermostat above 68 degrees; my husband is an engineer who said this is probably a whole unit thermostat problem, but it should have been ironed out before this time, as renovation has taken the better part of a year here.
The next morning, we spoke with the front desk, who was extremely accommodating, and they gave us a free breakfast, and points towards our spg account, which was appreciated. The breakfast buffet was not set up that day, so we were able to order from the menu. The breakfast we had was very good, freshly made, and our waiter was a wonderful young man who had been in the Marines, and decided to stay in the area to work, after his stint in the service. This young man really elevated our stay with his great personality and amazing customer service! I did get his name, but sadly erased it from my phone,but he has an unusual name, and you will know him by his great attitude!
They do have some issues to iron out, but we would stay again. Test your a/c before bed, but come for the refreshed decor, nice staff and good amenties!

Room Tip: higher floor; hotel is quite at night, but view is best from upper floors
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Yvette B, Director of Front Office Operations at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Thank you for taking time out to give us a great review. We are truly appreciative and hope that you will allow us to service you again in the near future. Thanks and have a pleasant day!

Warm regards,

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The room was lovely as they are always at Starwood hotels, but whoever runs this place ought to be fired because so many little things are mismanaged. When I arrived I was instructed I had to walk all the way out to my car in the rear of the parking lot to put a payment voucher in my window. That was on top of an outrageous 20 dollar charge for self parking in a huge lot. I went to the elevator bank to find my room but the number didn't exist. When I went back down and asked, the check in guy said, "oh, that's the elevator for another hotel". Might have been nice to tell me there were two hotels operating in the same space. I get to my room and no writing pad or pen. The elevator is shabby with a sign saying it is being remodeled his summer. The gym is a little room, despite this being a vast hotel. Frankly, I've never experienced a Starwood property this shabbily managed. Usually they're quite good. This reaffirms my loyalty to Marriott.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Alec S

Dear Alec,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your visit with us. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We have made some major changes and improvements that we are so excited about. I would love to share this excitement with you. Can you please reach out to me at 704.626.3649 or at yvette.bullock@sheratoncharlottehotel so that we can speak further about this. I look forward to connecting with you.

Regards,

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are said to have been recently done over, but the bathrooms are strange. The sinks are too big and the shower does not have a full door and no ventilation. The room I was in had a balcony, but the sliding door came off its tracks and I fixed it myself (that needs to be renovated). Parking is $20 per night for parking in an unsecured surface lot and the charge $10.95 per day for in room internet access. It is free in the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and giving us your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Glass half full: Construction aside, the hotel aesthetics were very nice and the view of the city skyline was beautiful. Also, Mario Lopez at the front desk was awesome. He exhibited the proper balance of professionalism and humor while building a rapport with his customers. Mario made us feel absolutely welcome.

Glass half empty: Now the bad news, we found dried blood on our bed sheets. (They made up for it with a future comp, but eeeewww!) Grossed us out! Mario did his best to handle this but it was upsetting to say the least.

On top of that, they charge you extra for EVERYTHING! Parking - $20/day; WIFI - $11/day...Geezoy!! It's like your pocket is being picked, all day!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank William S
Dick T, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear William,
Thank you very much for your candid feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to address and correct the issues you identified and are grateful for your compliments about our staff. Many thanks for choosing our hotel!
Kind regards,
Dick Turner

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked last minute, and upon arrival discovered we had been upgraded to a suite. Mario Lopez at the front desk really hooked us up! We had just flown in and had a ton of luggage, but luckily we were saved by the bellman! Come stay here if you are looking for friendly service in a convenient location in Charlotte.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed here for a seminar and was pleasantly surprised. They are finishing up a renovation and the lobby was under construction during my stay. Nonetheless, my renovated room was spacious, clean and modern. Ideal for doing work and comfortable. Very hospitable front desk and restaurant staff! This hotel is located in a quiet section of the city not far from the NASCAR museum and an easy walk to the city's center full of restaurants and a few notable museums. It's located about twenty minutes from the airport and the bellman will readily get a cab for you.
Starbucks coffee and bottled water were free and readily available throughout the hotel too.

Room Tip: An upgraded renovated room is worth the price increase!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business