“Is there a category below terrible?”

Sheraton Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #82 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Staff is awesome. That's where good thoughts end. Location is not in main part of city requiring taxi rides everywhere. Desk has one available plug close by. Best part of stay was the ice cold shower in the morning. Avoid this place at all costs.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Msiran
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. We appreciate the kind remark about the staff. We are truly working on providing the best service possible in an effort to off-set some of our other short comings. Please accept my apology for the issue you experienced with the water temperature. During your stay the boiler was off-line temporarily unfortunately leaving the building without hot water for a short period in the morning. The problem was rectified but not before affecting some of our guests. The hotel is undergoing an extensive renovation that will not only change the appearance of our public areas but there will be a major refresh of our guest rooms, including replacing all of the furniture. The new desk will have multiple plugs to accommodate our guests’ electrical needs. We do appreciate your patronage and your patience with the hotel during this difficult period. We also hope that you will return in the future to experience the warm hospitality and service that the Sheraton brand is known for. Warm regards.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

As a Lifetime Platinum SPG member and major road warrior I have never stayed in a hotel like this which clearly is not ready to be opened and host guests! The major construction is evident everywhere, and service was non existent! The details ...arrived to the hotel to be welcomed by loud construction sounds in the lobby making conversation impossible....our reservation was cancelled for unknown reasons, however the desk clerk reinstated them .. Was assigned rooms on the 3rd Floor of the Charlotte Center Hotel ( To be a Le Meriden Property) only to arrive to the rooms and discover we were on the same floor as the construction workers were staying ....The rooms have been redone, however mine was dusty, lights out in the bathroom, and the shower control knob broken along water in the AM! When I contacted the front desk on the hot water issue, they said engineers were working on it....time went and still no resolution...called back and they assigned me room in the Sheraton Tower to shower in that had hot water!! Staff promised to deliver room keys, have engineers come to my room, etc and none were delivered...I had to go to the front desk to get matters resolved in person! Never seen an operation so not ready to be opened! The construction I might add is not quality work as evidence by my room with plumbing issues, new wallpaper coming off the wall, and no electrical sockets by the desk. It is is very evident that this property is a total wreck, and highly recommend avoiding it completely! This really should not ever be a SPG property...it is doomed from the start! I complained at check out to the Manager and was credited for the nights stay in full.... WARNING AVOID AT ALL COST!

Room Tip: Avoid this property at all cost!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your honest comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. Also, thank you for your patronage of Starwood Hotels and Resort as a valued SPG Platinum member. I cannot apologize enough for the myriad of issues you experienced during your stay. The hotel is under renovation but some of the problems you encountered could have been avoided had we concentrated more on the details and follow-up. I understand that it does not erase the experience but I am pleased that we were able to recover somewhat prior to your departure. Obviously we didn’t do enough and we will continue our efforts to improve so that we are worthy of the Sheraton name. It is my hope that you will give us an opportunity in the future to regain some of your confidence in the hotel by returning. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and warm regards.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I spend five nights in business in Sheraton Charlotte. The hotel was under construction and some days even getting the elevator required some creativity. But renovations need to be done, and they are not continuous. But the other service was terrible.

Cleaning rooms and cleanliness
I spend days from Wednesday to Tuesday, housekeeping visited the room the first time on Monday. Not even a trash bin emptied in the first five days - even I asked it from one housekeeping lady, who promised to send somebody. In this category any hostel and motel is better organized.

Laundry service
Laundry service, which should take 12 hours took four days, good that I happened to have a long stay, otherwise I would have lost my favourite jacket.

Breakfast
I had reservation including breakfast, which was served at "The club". And it was served, but the key to the club did not work, and my room number was not listed in there - none of the mornings. As coming from the old continent I am used to trust that hotels know, what they have been selling and which kind of reservation they have accepted. I really don't want to start any price negotiations at check in or during the stay.

So, according to my opinion nothing else than price met Sheraton level, and I need to consider careful, if I ever return to any Sheraton if they accept this kind of service level.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to the Sheraton Charlotte. Please accept my sincere apology for the issues you experienced with various services throughout the hotel. I will certainly follow-up with our Housekeeping Department as to why you didn’t receive consistent service during your stay. We did run into an unfortunate situation over the past couple of weeks with weather during which we restricted service to the guestrooms. I apologize if your stay coincided with one of these periods and you weren’t notified. Also, the laundry service would have also been affected so I can only assume it was weather related. As noted, some of our reservations do include Sheraton Club access which should have been recorded on your file. Again, I can only apologize and review the current system for its accuracy. We do appreciate your patience during this difficult time and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you when your travels bring you back to the Charlotte area. We would enjoy delivering a true Sheraton experience. Warm regards.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I booked a rsvp to stay at the downtown location for Valentine's Day aka the day after the big snow storm in Charlotte. Charlotte was in a frenzy and so was I.nonetheless, I was greeted by patient and friendly doormen and i was impressed by the upscale decor despite mild signs (and dust)of renovations. Although my room wasn't ready because of the delay in checkouts related to the snow storm, Mario Lopez, front desk, assured me that it wouldn't be a long wait and provided my with a complimentary cocktail while I waited, wooooooo whoooooo! While I waited, I chatted with Mrs Yvette, hotel manager, who gave me more information regarding the upcoming renovations and the many things to look forward to at this location. Again, I was very impressed. When I got to my room on the La Meridian side, I was blown away. Super clean, luxury room. Black, white, fawn color scheme. It was beyond my expectations. I would definitely recommend staying at the downtown location and I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments about your visit to Sheraton Charlotte. It will by my pleasure to personally thank both Mr. Lopez and Ms. Yvette for the wonderful, accommodating service they delivered to you during your stay. They are excellent service professionals and we are fortunate to have them on our team. The hotel is undergoing a transformation and will be completed within the next couple of months. I do hope that you will return next year to experience our new hotel and warm Sheraton service. Thank you for your patronage and warm regards.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the hotel for a dance convention last weekend. It was a trip that we had looked forward to for some time. Upon arrival, things seemed nice. The employee that handled our check in was helpful & had a great personality. Arriving in our room it seemed very nice-remodled & upscale. I must say I was disappointed to learn that we had to pay extra for a small refrigerator, microwave & coffee pot but we were able to do without those amentities. We called the front desk on Friday evening & asked what floors had ice machines since the one on our floor was still in the BOX! I was told there was ice on two particular floors. My daughter went to both floors & returned to say the machines were in boxes on those floors, also. I called back to the desk & was finally able to find out where to find ice. (Not a huge deal to begin with) On Saturday, we went up to our room to find that our thermostat had an error message that we must insert our keycard in the slot next to the door. The key was in the slot. I called the front desk & asked what I could do to resolve this. They assured me they would send someone up immediately. They did not come & 2 hours later, nothing. I went back to the front desk & the staff member called again. They determined that they could not fix it, they would move us to another room and send a bellman up to move us. We went to our room, packed up our belongings and waited for the bellman (after calling twice) NOBODY EVERY SHOWED UP! We moved ourselves. I asked that the manager please call me & I NEVER received a phone call. The next morning I asked for a late checkout due to the convention & was told that there were no more late checkouts available. I was speaking to the manager & expressed that it was the least they could do for the trouble I had & he was very condescending. I told him of my disappointment with the management in the hotel and the lack of communication. He said he was sorry but it was obvious he could care less & felt that my concerns were invalid. I was finally given an extra hour to check out.
As part of the dance convention, we were supposed to be given a discounted rate on the parking from $20 per day to $13 per day. I was overcharged at check-in and only realized the mistake after talking to other parents at the convention. I was able to get that adjusted with the gentleman that had done my check-in.
On Sunday, there was no hot water for guests to take showers!! Requests for coffee pots that were made on Friday at check-in were never fulfilled. Friends went out and bought instant coffee but could not even make that because there was no hot water!
I realize this hotel is under rennovation but they should have NEVER been open to such a large event when they were not capable of handling it. It all goes back to poor management which this hotel suffers from. No excuse for not responding to guests needs. This was not a $60-70 per night hotel!! When you pay this kind of money you expect a little bit of decent service. This is one hotel that we will never visit again along with the many dissatisfied guest that were complaining the day of check out. Sad.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 934Lisa
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel. I am both embarrassed and concerned that we were unable to fulfill our service promise. Please accept my apology for the issues you encountered with the guest room and service. The hotel is under renovation included in this project is the installation of new ice machines. To date all of them have not been installed and you should have been advised. During your stay the hotel did experience a problem with the boiler system which did leave us without hot water for a short period. The problem was resolved quickly but did impact some of our guests, you included. Renovation or not there is no excuse for bad service or for us not following up on a request. I can only apologize for these oversights and tell you that we are working every day to become a better hotel. Thank you for your patronage and I hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our hotel during a future visit to the Queen City. Warm regards.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed there on 01/28 due to winter storm in Charlotte and was not impressed especially for the rate of $179. The lobby is still under construction and there are signs about dust in the area. Not all of the elevators were working the night I stayed there. I could not not get the temperature over 68 degrees in the room no matter what I did to the temperature controls. The room had no information regarding hotel services and I had to call the front dest to ask where the fitness center was located. The water temperature of the shower/bath could was either too hot or ice cold no matter what you did when you turned the temperature knobs in the tub. On the positive size, the room had a comfortable king size bed and a nice big screen TV.

The next morning I went to the fitness center which was fairly small and with only a few machines (bike, step master). A young woman was trying to program one of the machines for a particualr type of workout and could not get it to work. I tried another machine and had the same problem. The both of us used the machines but it was not as beneficial because we could not use the machine to time our workout.

The front desk staff on arrival and departure had very little customer service skills or personality. I expect when I am checking out to be asked about my stay but just was handed the hotel receipt.

In summary, I would not recommend this hotel until rennovation is completed and there is some change in the front desk staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. First let me apologize for the issue you noted with guestroom and water temperature, and the fitness room. During the snow storm there was a period of time while you were in-house that the water temperature in one of our boilers fell below an acceptable level. This did cause fluctuations in the heating/cooling of some of the rooms and in the water temperature in some guestrooms. This was eventually rectified. The current fitness room is small but we need to do a better job of explaining it’s location and how the equipment works. As you also noted the hotel is in the midst of a complete renovation that includes public spaces, the restaurant, guestrooms and the fitness center. Once completed we will have the product that you expect along with a spacious, world-class fitness facility. We do appreciate your patience during this process and hope that you will visit us again after our renovation is complete later this spring. Thank you for your patronage and warm regards.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Normally we book the Sheraton Charlotte Airport, but when we called for a reservation while on the road January 29th, we were told there was only one room available, a king for $286. What? We're gold status SPG members, so we were shocked. We wouldn't pay it. The operator suggested the Sheraton Charlotte Hotel. We booked it for $119. Big difference. I read the negative reviews on the way there and I was prepared for a substandard experience. Don't understand the $20 parking fee.
After checking in, had the elevator experience. 9 pm & no elevators. We finally took the service elevator to the 12th floor, discovered our room wasn't there, waited and waited for an elevator to take us back down. I was in the process of calling downstairs, when an elevator finally arrived. I'm walking w/ a cane b/c of recent surgery and was getting frustrated at the inconvenience.
Turns out our room was in the adjoining building, which was formerly The Drake, and is in the process of being transformed into a Sheraton property. So therefore the growing pains.(?)
We visited the bar after we got situated and had drinks ( the bartender makes an excellent dirty martini) and had some food, which was good.
Our room was fine, but what saved this establishment from a mediocre review was the professionalism of Wayne when checking in, and by our server at breakfast (which was also good) the next morning, Jeremy Black. We had a very nice conversation with Jeremy and left the hotel with a very positive feeling, which I'm sure was due to the attitude of this young man. We would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the adjoining building - the elevators work
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. We appreciate your feedback as it serves to help make us a better hotel. It will be a pleasure to personally thank both Wayne and Jeremy for the fine service they delivered to you. We are fortunate to have both of these excellent service professionals. We are working on the elevator situation and we’re hoping to have them updated during the current renovation process. Thank you for your patience and patronage especially given some of the other reviews. We are certainly aware of them and we are making every effort to become a better hotel. We hope we can continue to be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to the Charlotte area. Warm regards.