“Don't be misguided by unfair reviews”

Sheraton Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #78 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Rochester, New York
“Don't be misguided by unfair reviews”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

When looking for a hotel in downtown Charlotte that was within walking distance of Bank of America stadium, the Sheraton Charlotte City Center caught my eye. The hotel is currently undergoing a renovation and many negative reviews complained about the condition of the hotel. Yes it is an older building that requires a bit of remodeling, but I can assure you that it won't interfere with your sleep. The rooms were pristine with gorgeous views of the city and excellent overall comfort. The staff was courteous, professional, and accommodating in every way, that includes the front desk staff, security personnel, maintenance, and room service professionals. The property has huge ball room and convention facilities that hosted a huge wedding that weekend so there was much traffic in the lobby areas but it wasn't problematic at all. The area around the hotel is primarily quiet office buildings and a park across the street. You are walking distance to some of the busier areas around town and some of the bigger attractions. I will say if you park in the rear garage it can be a bit of a maze getting to the main lobby, but again, you won't be too inconvenienced unless you have a great deal of luggage, in which case you should drop it around front. Overall this place is a solid 9.5/10, once the remodeling is complete, you got yourself a 10/10

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank madtv261
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. It’s refreshing to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the location and the service that was provided. The hotel is in transition and we are working to become better both as a physical product and as a service provider. We will certainly look for better signage to direct our guests from covered parking to the lobby as this is a great idea. We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will allow us to serve as your host in the future the next time your travels bring you to the Queen City. Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed January 22, 2014

long waits for checkin/checkout. long waits for elevator b/c not enough elevators to accommodate full occupancy. shower design is awful (you stand IN the shower to turn it on and there's no shower door).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent visit to Sheraton Charlotte. As I’ve noted in other reviews the hotel was unprepared for the majority of the attendees to arrive at the same time for the cheerleading event. It was a difficult lesson that we learned but we will certainly be better prepared in the future. Thank you for your patience and understanding. We hope that you will visit again to personally experience both the physical changes and service improvements that we will surely make. Warm regards.

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels

Johns Creek, GA
Reviewed January 19, 2014

If this is "Sheraton Quality," I will never book at Sheraton again. Elevators are worse than cargo-quality, and have paper signs warning not to load more than 8 people. Wait for 15 minutes to get an elevator, and then if it has more than 8 people, it sinks to the basement. The doors had to be pried open by a maintenance worker when we were inside. In my guest room, the phone, the heat, and the toilet did not work. Maintenance was called to my room three times. The phone was fixed but broke again, the toilet never flushed completely. The shower has a fixed glass partition, so you could never bathe a child in the tub or even start the shower without getting inside. If any room nearby is using the shower, you will have no water pressure or hot water for your shower. Although we were confirmed with our rate for room and parking, they tried to charge me $39 more per night at check-in had I not noticed their handwritten rate on my key folder. The first night, we were seated 50 minutes before our simple order of over-priced salad and soup was served. Had I not be required by our team to stay here, I would have packed up and moved to a different hotel. Sheraton, you should be ashamed to have this hotel open for business.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay here at Sheraton Charlotte during the cheerleading meet. Please accept our sincere apology for the unfortunately list of issues that you noted in your review. I cannot express my disappointment or embarrassment enough except to say that we are working every day to become a better hotel. We are currently in the midst of a complete renovation that will address many of the physical issues that you noted, including the elevators. We appreciate your patience and understanding, and do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to earn your business. Warm regards.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Was in town for the Panthers / Jets game... and I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. On the surface, the new facelift (which is still underway... but almost completed) was not done with the quality you'd expect from the Sheraton name. Quality should also be in the DETAILS and here it was not!!! Sure the beds were comfy and the room had a very nice LG smart tv (42")... but the newly installed wallpaper was already peeling in corners, the caulking around the bath tub was not the neatest I've ever seen. Then they painted it... in a color that didn't match... and it too was very sloppy. There were lots of little things like this that I noticed... but the worst part were the original elevators that were slow at best. Having to wait 15 minutes for an elevator that takes you everywhere BUT the floor you've requested... FRUSTRATING!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your comments. First let me apologize for the condition of the hotel and for our lack of communication. The hotel is currently undergoing renovation but the guestroom product has not started. Your experience was with the current room, with the exception of the before mentioned comfortable Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed (which is new). I also apologize for the elevators as they are also in the process of being modernized. I appreciate your comments and we are working towards becoming the Sheraton product that you’ve come to depend upon. I appreciate your patronage and hope that you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves when your future travels bring you back to the Queen City. Warm regards.
NC
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel is very convenient to Charlotte Medical Center in downtown Charlotte. It is undegoing renovations in the lobby and so I understand that. The beds are comfortable and the staff and tv are fine. The bathroom is very tiny and the workmanship is shoddy to say the least. The carpet does not meet the bathroom tile and so they have filled the crack with about 3 inches of concrete. The shower has a glass partition not quite long enough and water leaks on the floor when you take a shower. The carpet looked relatively clean but there was white specks that looked almost like paper mache around the carpeted area. Maybe they were renovating this room too, but it looked like this was the way it was going to stay. Sorry Sheraton but I expected better from you especially at the price.

Room Tip: we did have a good city view from the 10th floor, but I would not stay here again at the price.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. I appreciate your favorable words about the hotel’s convenient location, the comfortable Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and about our accommodating associates. Now, please accept my apology for the condition of the guest room especially the bathroom. As you noted, the hotel is undergoing renovation in the lobby and shortly we begin to renovate the guest rooms. The completed product should more than adequately address your concerns. Thank you for your patronage and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to be your hotel of choice during your next visit to the Charlotte area. Warm regards.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 12, 2013

l stay a this hotel last month some one went in to my room and took some items that didn't belong to them .it was $ 20:00 dollar and a ring. 1661 was the room number
l left my room about 11:30am to go to meeting came back to see two lady leaving my room.as l enter the room notice. that the money l left on the desk was gone.went back to door and talk to one of the ladys that l seen coming out the.she said that she didn't clean my room l just seen you come out of my room. so ow the police is involved. In it

• Stayed November 2013
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for the incident you noted in your review. The hotel did respond to your unfortunate situation and I’m hoping that the resolution was satisfactory. We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will consider this an isolated incident, not representative of the service we have been known to provide. Please consider giving us another opportunity to be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to the Queen City. Warm regards.
Napa, California
Reviewed December 12, 2013

As noted in other reviews, the hotel is currently under renovations. That being said, it has potential. However, for the time being, it's a little rough for the money spent. The rooms are small, but nice. My only complaint about the room is the eco-friendly electric system. You have to put the room key into some device on the wall to get the power to come on in the room. After a day full of travel delays, I got to my room at 11PM... the door closed behind me and it was PITCH BLACK in the room and I couldn't get any of the lights to come on, the AC was off, and it was hot and muggy. I had to take my phone out just so I could see what I was doing. I understand the logic - I'm as eco-friendly as anyone, however it would have been nice to arrive to my room that was ready, not dark and hot. My only other complaint is about the elevators. Only 2 of the 4 are currently working, which wasn't a problem until the other 2 quit working. After walking a mile back from the stadium, we had to walk up 11 flights of stairs to get to our room. The fitness center and spa are currently under renovations, too, but they have a contract with the aquatic center across the street.

All that said, the staff was great and the areas that have been renovated are nice. The lobby and bar/restaurant/lounge area are great. The bartending staff were all super friendly. Would I stay here again? Maybe when the renovations are complete. Until then, I'd pass.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank for your honest comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel. First, please accept my apology for the issues you encountered during your stay. We are working hard to improve our hotel and I’m confident that the changes that are on-going will address all of your concerns. As noted the hotel does utilize the Evolve energy management system which disables the lights and HVAC when the room is not in use but you are correct, we need to find a way to ensure you and other guests are not literally left in the dark. The elevators of the hotel will undergo a complete modernization but until then we have taken measures that will ensure their optimal operation. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will give us another chance to serve you in the future. Warm regards.