“Service excellent - Mario made this challenging event - comfortable”

Sheraton Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #80 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Atlanta, Georgia
“Service excellent - Mario made this challenging event - comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Over booked at the Westin , upset I had to move , ended up at this Sheraton , was very disappointed , it would had escalate had it not been for this awesome guy - went out of his way to control the situation , accommodate and deliver a great stay - love the Westin - but this hotel is definitatly better than the aloft -
with Mario and team delivering exceptional service - this is a huge diamond in the rough !
Thanks again Mario for making this a positive stay !!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Somerville, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

My title really says it all - the staff at this property was great. Every one of them says hello and smiles as you pass, they are all super friendly and very nice.
The hotel however, leaves a lot to be desired. As someone who flys around 100k miles a year and stays in hotels almost 90 nights a year, I have a TON of patience for little things and I'm a pretty go with the flow person. Even the most patient person can only take so much. I should've known better when I arrived to an enormous check in line wrapped through the lobby and when I asked for the SPG check in I was told - were renovating so there is none right now. I said ok, so about how long is that line taking and was told 30min. 2 hours and 10min later I got a room. At one point for over 40min the line didn't even move and the staff was telling us it was because they simply didn't have any more clean rooms ready and this was well after 3pm (the check in time) so that didn't quite make sense to me. Either way I figured well, large groups can be overwhelming so let's just give them a chance.
So I specifically reserved a nonsmoking room because it makes me physically ill to sleep in a smoked in room. I reconfirmed with the front desk agent when she gave me the key and she said oh yes this has always been a nonsmoking room so no worries. I got to my room and as soon as I opened the door it hit me like a smack in the face - stale cigarette smoke and the windows don't open - After blasting the air (which requires you put a key card in the system along with the lights so HINT get at least 2 cards!) and coming back a couple hours later it was cleared out enough that I wasn't feeling ill anymore.

The bathroom is compact - and that's the professional description. In reality you have to slide sideways between the counter and the toilet in order to close the door - and that's if you didn't trip up the hump in the carpet going in to the bathroom because there is no transition strip. Once in the bathroom if you happen to put the bathmat down to take a shower don't plan on opening the door to vent the room - because there is no fan at all - and because the door is not cut right so it will drag the towel and get stuck. Then if you decide to take a shower get ready to do yoga again because there is an awkward glass panel that does not move blocking the controls so you have to lean all the way in to turn the water on then try and jump back not to get soaked while you let the water adjust before you climb in. Then when you get in you'll notice the tile was never finished correctly and the escutcheons were not installed on the faucet so there is just a big hole behind each nozzle with mold growing behind from the water getting in. Gross! There was decent water pressure so I'll give them that. However, when I got out of the shower I noticed that the glass panel was clearly not sealed correctly or completely because the water had streamed right through the bottom lip and all over the bathroom floor (and yes, to be sure I did turn the water back on and it was running directly under the glass - not just bouncing out the back side) so I try to awkwardly dry myself, open the door and slide the bathmat at the same time because you can't do both you'll get stuck and get enough air to vent the mirror off so I can see what I'm doing without falling into the toilet because again you are balancing between them all here in about a total of 25" and when the door is open it's reduced to 2" - and go to hang my towel and well would you look at that there is no towel bar - none. Go to brush my teeth and there is no cold water. I'm not kidding, no cold water. There is hot water, hotter water and scalding water but NO cold water at all. Dasani to the rescue again. This bathroom is a disaster.

The room - the bed is ok, pillows are better than most hotels I've stayed in but the carpet is wet feeling to walk on. I thought maybe it was just me so I even put my socks on and then I noticed they were damp. A friend came to my room to visit and she said the same thing. The carpet is wet. Gross! No wonder the room smells moldy and stale constantly.
There is a decent size desk in the room and a decent size tv. There is no microwave and no fridge. The outlets are ill placed and I had to actually pull the entire bed 5" away from the wall to plug in my laptop charger. Two of the three lamps had burnt out lightbulbs. I thought it was just me so I kept messing with the card in the slot to power the outlets, etc. and turning them on and off using my phone charger in the same outlet as a test since it's easy to see if your phone is charging to know if the outlet is working...and no, two of the three, really? Doesn't housekeeping have a checklist for this type of stuff?

The internet access is $9.95 for 24 hours for up to 3 devices - I am a firm believer that in today's world the wifi should just be free and be part of the cost of the room however, this is the first hotel I've seen that the fee covers up to 3 devices. My advice - do what I did - I have a Virgin Mobile Aircard that has a flex plan (I bought it at walmart for around $65) and then I have unlimited 3g/4g access for only $35 a month and I can hook up, up to 5 devices at a time on it. It charges fast, works great and you can fund it through your paypal and even go as low as only $5 for one day use.

There is quite a bit of outside noise which is not necessarily the hotel's fault but something I think business travelers always want to know.

Lastly, the elevators are absolutely terrible. In three days I took the stairs from the 7th floor (up and down) more times than I took the elevator because the wait for one - that would come and be full anyways - just crazy. If you have the hotel at full capacity, you should have extra staff helping run the service elevators for guests as well during high traffic times. It shouldn't take over 30 min to get an elevator to my room and back down.

So - would I stay here again? Most likely not and more because of the bathroom issues and gross wet, moldy carpet than anything else.
The staff was wonderful and I can't say enough how nice and friendly they were - every one of them. I just really hope Sheraton can get this building in order because for $120/night there are some basic things that are just part of the class of service you expect and you don't get here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated tower - my friend who had a room on that side had a much nicer, much...
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Service and staff hospitality were great. However the place looks old. Didnt know that breakfast buffet was only served on >70% occupancy. Housekeeping staff sometimes came in late at around 5:30-6pm. No minibar.
Despite all that, once they renovate then it should be fine.

• Stayed September 2013
Marlboro, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

From the moment I checked in, the customer service was awesome. A special thank you to Mario Lopez who helped make me feel welcome, answered my questions & was very helpful. I will definitely be back!

1 Thank K C
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

When I arrived at this hotel I was excited as the lobby differed from most Sheratons and I appreciated that it had character, as Sheratons are often come across cold and boring to me. The front desk staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. They shared with me details of the upcoming renovations and seemed genuinely excited to be a part of all the changes.

Unfortunately as soon as I stepped in the elevator I figured everything wouldn't be quite as great as I'd hope, and the renovations are probably much needed. The rooms at this hotel are OK. The decorations are a little weird, and will probably benefit from the Sheraton makeover. The Sheraton bed is comfortable as always and the room is actually very quiet, which is an imortant factor when staying for business.

The gym is the worst gym I have ever seen in a hotel, it consists of three total pieces of cardio equipment. No dumb bells, no mats for ab workouts, just three pieces of cardio equipment, and those three pieces don't even include a treadmill!

There is a club lounge that was obviously an old guest room, but the staff in the club lounge are excellent and the food was some of the best I've ever experienced for breakfast, they had poached eggs instead of the awful scrambled eggs they normally have!

If you can survive in a hotel without a gym I think this is an excellent option as they get many important things right (excellent staff, quiet rooms, comfortable beds, great club lounge). However, I won't be back until they have updated the gym to Sheraton standards as that is unfortunately a dealbreaker.

Room Tip: If SPG platinum don't stay on the club floor. You can get access to the club lounge wiithout be...
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is the old Blake Hotel, re-flagged as the Sheraton. Sheraton has some work cut out for them here.

They are trying, but this hotel is really really tired. The fitness center is old, tile falling out, lots of holes in the walls from old wiring, etc...

My room was recently re-done, but that does not help the tiny size of the bathroom, the new sink that splashes up at you when you turn faucet on full and the inexplicable glass wall on the tub forcing you to lean into the tub in an awkward way to turn on the shower and get splashed doing so.

They did not even replace the ceiling registers, and only painted over the chips in the old bathtub.

My pillows were new, but far far too hard (and I like firm pillows).

My second time here, and fortunately both trips were super short. Next time its the Westin for me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I recently stayed here for a couple of days. I was very pleased with how well it's coming together. I stayed there when it was the Blake last December and Taylor took great care of myself and my family, so when I came back I was very happy to see her still there. She's one of the nicest people there. I've been to all different types of hotels and nothing compares to southern hospitality. Food is so much better! I recommend trying the food if you stay there. Can't wait to come back! Thanks again Taylor!

• Stayed August 2013