“Glad it was free, I would never pay to stay here!”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport
Ranked #139 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
SE Wisconsin
“Glad it was free, I would never pay to stay here!”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We got bumped off a flight and the airline provided us with a hotel for the night. The check in was fine, the desk clerk, Ample, was friendly and helpful. It went downhill from there. The room was the SMALLEST room I have ever stayed in, you could almost touch all 4 walls from the bed. It was a smoking room and there were burn holes in the window seat cushion & on the toilet seat. The carpet was old, worn and dirty, the entire room seemed very outdated & dirty. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luvdzny
NitaCares, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2011
Here at Microtel, we provide a much higher ratio of Quality-of-accommodation-and-Service compared to Cost-of-Room than most hotel brands. This is our MOTTO! All of our rooms have recently been thoroughly renovated, and our rooms are the "standard" size. The average "standard" room in the US is 320 sq ft (400 sq ft - the bath room) or 17'x17'. We offer smoking (33% of our rooms) and non-smoking (66%) rooms. The type of room is optional for each and every guest. Yet when guests are sent over by the airport it is usually after midnight, and our hotel can be nearly sold-out at such a time; this limits our ability to pick-and-choose room types. If anyone has any concerns or preferences about a room, please, immediately bring it to my staff's attention. We will then do everything in our power to make you happy. Thank you, James McGivern

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My young daughter missed her connecting international flight due to weather and I had to find accomocations from Kansas late at night. This hotel was close to the airport and offered convenient shuttle service. Doris, the night clerk, was very patient and helpful with all my calling and they even sent Robert, the shuttle driver, back to the airport at midnight when I thought she'd missed the shuttle. My daughter said her room looked nice and was clean.

I did not see the hotel myself, but the staff's help was appreciated and the room price was very reasonable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank aMom2722
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I normally don't bother with reviews but this stay I felt needed one. I always check out trip advisor reviews before booking with a hotel and they have never steered me wrong. However, this hotel was a huge disappointment. I usually take the bad reviews with a grain of salt if there are numerous good reviews. Well, I should have listened to the bad this time. First off, all staff that I encountered (except for a young lady that had only been there 4 months) were rude. We booked through expedia which advertised "free shuttle, free continental breakfast" at a special rate (which was $3 less than the sign outside the hotel when we arrived). We were given a room on the ground floor on a saturday night at about 8pm. We were surprised at the amount of people out in the halls and outside but we figured it would calm down. No such luck...folks were making all kinds of noise all throughout the night. There were a lot of young couples making out in the parking lot and with the mirror over our bed and the extremely small room, it made me wonder if there aren't a lot of "hourly" stays here. The bed was hard and uncomfortable and with all the noise, we were not able to sleep one wink. the small uncomfortable room with the hard bed did look clean but there was something splattered all over the mirror headboard (like soda or food or something) that made me wonder if they really cleaned the rooms ever. We were only staying for one night so we could leave the next morning for a flight to disney world. When we checked in we told the girl that we had requested the shuttle service for 7am. She said ok and wrote our names on some sort of list- not a problem. Also asked what we would have to do to get the shuttle back to the hotel and she replied- just call the hotel and we'll take care of it. Ok. Well, the next morning no one was at the front desk...we later found out he was the one setting up breakfast. When I asked him about the shuttle, he did come out and call the driver to wake him up. I also asked him if we just called them or how the process worked to get picked up. He said to just call. He was very short with everyone he spoke to. He was very strange (can't describe him) Anyway, there were 5 of us already out there waiting for him (he was supposed to be out there at 7am). The driver finally showed up at 7:30 to give us a ride (pretty darn tired looking). He must have also not gotten any rest from all the partying going on in the halls the night before. Anyway, we got the ride to the airport and there were no lines so no problems getting to our 9:30 flight on time. The real problem was when we returned. I called the hotel to get the shuttle back to where my van was parked. All of a sudden they have no record of me even staying there. Then the lady on the phone finally finds it and says "oh, you booked through expedia so you shouldn't have been allowed to park and shuttle without upgrading to our price" She also called my price "extremely discounted" even though it was only $3 less than the advertised price on their signage and it was I am pretty sure the crappiest room they had available. After hearing I might have to pay double what I paid to get back to my van which was already parked at the hotel, you can imagine I was pretty irrate. So I did mention to her that I got a discounted rate for a crappy room. She insisted that I had to pay the fee that the 2 employees before should have mentioned to me and made me pay before I left my van there. She asked that I pay that fee when I got back to the hotel and since I finally agreed, she did go ahead and have the shuttle man pick me up since he was already there picking up another couple. But she was pretty rude about it. Also, if you have small children you should know that the shuttle is more of a small minivan. I didn't think to bring a car seat for my two year old son bc I didn' know this. Next time I will ask the hotel what kind of shuttle. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend staying here at all but if you still decide to...just know that you will probably pay way more money than advertised. I watched a couple check in that morning and the cost ended up being $70 without any kind of park and ride service. The sign outside advertised $49.99 but with taxes and fees the front desk guy told them it was $70. Anyway, this review may not sound too bad to some and I guess I should have known better than to try to save a little money. However, after these reviews I felt like it would be a good place to stay for one night. Boy was I wrong. Nothing was as advertised and how can it be a good place for one night when everyone is making noise all night? No consideration at all. It was a horrible way to start our vacation...I should have just waken up at my house at 3am and driven 3 hrs to the aiport myself...it would have been better than paying for this hotel and not even getting to sleep there. Just not good experiences...I just want to save others from having similar experiences. Oh and the lady that made me pay extra was dissing expedia like crazy and I have always booked through them with no problems whatsoever. On the positive side, since we were standing in the lobby for 30 minutes waiting for the driver of the shuttle bus...I did manage to get a bagel to eat and get some fruit loops and juice for my son. The breakfast didn't start until 7 (a little after) though on the weekends. I'm wondering if those folks with good reviews stayed during the weekday and if that makes a difference. Maybe an upper level larger room, I don't know. But I will say that when we got there I kind of felt like the lady who wrote she didn't feel safe in this hotel. It was just the people hanging out in the hallway and the sketchy people walking up and down the road around the hotels. I kinda wondered if my van would be safe but the front desk lady just said not to leave anything valuable in it and that they hadn't had to call the cops for any incidents in about 4 months....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vtapril82
NitaCares, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am sorry you have had such a bad experience. Please allow me to explain our rates, the park-n-fly program, and our relationship with such companies such as Expedia, Travelocity, and others. By doing this, I hope to expel some of the confusion you experienced and to help others plan their future trips.

Our rates for a specific night can be found online, and the rates seldom change except for special occasions. The rates at the time of your stay were $55.00 for a standard room with (1) bed and $65.00 for a standard room with (2) beds. The rate posted on the sign during your stay, $49.95, was a “walk-in” special we were running while you were with us. From having read your review, I am assuming Expedia gave you a special of $46.95, which is $8.05 below our regular rate. Free breakfast and Free shuttle service is and was provided for everyone who stays with us. Yet parking your vehicle while you are not checked-in with the hotel is not. In order to park a vehicle while you are away on a trip requires the purchase of our “Park-n-Fly” program. Unfortunately, it seems Expedia’s website misled you to believe our standard room rate entitled you to our Park-n-Fly program. And often our charge for the Park-n-Fly program is only an extra $6.00 more, though it really depends upon how you book your reservation, either with us directly or using an online service such as Expedia. In the future I suggest everyone call whichever hotel they are interested in directly to inquire about prices before finalizing an online reservation.

Our control over outside companies such as Expedia, Travelocity, and others is nearly non-existent. Those companies control their websites, and often a person can be misled or charged more for a stay or service than if they had dealt directly with our hotel. And when speaking to one of our Guest-Service-Agents you can ask questions. If you are still confused, please, ask even more questions. We are here to help you.

Concerning the noise, I am guessing you stayed with us during either the NCAA or CIAA tournaments. Many, many, hotels were booked full during those tournaments, and though the people are wonderful, they do tend to keep late hours during the tournaments. I apologize you were disturbed. We normally have a very quiet and respectful hotel.

Concerning the hard mattress, I apologize. All of our rooms have Pillow-Top mattresses, and I am normally inundated with complements concerning our mattresses.

Again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please, let me know.

Yours truly,

Nita Shah
NitaCares@hotmail.com
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2011

My sister and I stayed at this hotel so we were near the airport for a early morning flight. The shuttle was only available on the hour and it was a van, so fortunately only 7 of us showed up for the shuttle at 6am - otherwise others would have been turned away. The details of the hotel indicate there is a coffee maker in the room, we did not have one and the room reeked of cigarette smoke even though I requested a non smoking room. The hotel details also indicate a business center which looked like one computer in the lobby, and when I asked about a printer to print our boarding passes, they didn't have one. There were so many other choices nearby, I would not stay here again. Granted, I could have gone back out to the desk and said I wanted a coffee maker and a different room, but was so tired I just wanted to go to bed, and I think when these items are clearly requested or shown as amenities, they should be provided. Period.

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Guest,

I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay. Our hotel is manned 24/7 with a Guest-Service-Agent (GSA), and it is their job to ensure you are happy. After reading your review, I wish you had brought your concerns to our GSA while you were with us.

Everyone staying with us is entitled to use our Free shuttle to and/or from the airport. We organize our shuttle runs with a chart our GSA keeps. Guests are required to inform us as to when they will need the shuttle; this is usually done when a guest checks-in, but can be done at any time. We strive to accommodate everyone, and we organize our shuttle runs to leave on the hour, such as 5am, 6am, 7am. . . Yet if an hourly run becomes too full, our GSA will create another run such as at 5:30am, 6:30am, or whatever time is needed to ensure our guests get to the airport on time. We want to make everyone’s trip as stress-less as we can.

Concerning the coffee pot, none of our advertisements include that feature. We offer Free coffee 24/7 in our breakfast area. Outside online booking companies can often mislead guests about a hotel’s amenities and/or services. If you ever have any concerns or questions, please contact our GSA. We are there to help.

Our hotel offers non-smoking and smoking rooms. We segregate these room types by keeping the smoking rooms on the top floor of the hotel. The non-smoking rooms are completely isolated from the odor. I apologize you smelled smoke in your room. Another guest must have violated our do-not-smoke rule for the room you were in. Again, our GSA would have been happy to relocate you to a fresh room if only you had let us know.

I apologize you did not enjoy your stay.

Please contact me if you have any more concerns.

Yours truly,

Nita Shah
NitaCares@hotmail.com
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This place has THE BEST option for out of towners flying out of Charlotte. Our early flight required us to go the night before, thus our stay. Don't know if it will last, but right now they offer FREE car parking for up to three weeks, plus free transfers to and from the hotel...all this for staying just the one night. Our car was in a safe, well-lite lot. The van was ready at our desired time and took us right to the departure gate. This was WAY easier than parking in the remote lot! On our return, we only waited about 5 minutes for the pick-up back to the hotel. The hotel itself is clean. The breakfast was all we needed, bagels, cereal, etc.
We looked at other park and flys that were over double the price. This is a good bargin!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed February 5, 2011

The room was as comfortable as some that I have stayed in that cost much more. It was clean, with everything in good condition. Also, the desk staff was very helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2011

If you are looking for a clean room with friendly staff this is it. I received exactly what I paid for a small budget room that was clean, inexpensive, and came with friendly service. Nicer than most of the one or two star class room I so frequently stay in.

• Stayed January 2011