“Incredible front desk staff”

Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel
Ranked #34 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
“Incredible front desk staff”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times in the past and always had a good experience so when I was unexpectedly stuck in Charlotte due to flight cancellations I checked the Marriott app and was pleased to see a great rate for this hotel. The check-in was efficient and friendly. When I got to my room I realized didn't have my cell phone. Using the find my phone app, I realized I had left it in the taxi. Front desk staff Tammy McCoullough and Yvonne Rumley quickly volunteered to call the cab companies to get in touch with the driver to retrieve the phone. Here's where Yvonne really stepped up. She refused to quit, even driving me over to the airport at 1:30am to get the phone when the cab company was uncooperative. I was blown away! She had a can-do positive attitude and made it clear that she would do anything in her power to help a hotel guest. Prior to this experience, this was my preferred hotel. Thanks to Yvonne, this is now the hotel I will use every time I come to the Charlotte area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Charlotte C
General M, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay, and the service that our staff provided. I am fully aware that you have many choices in hotels, and we are happy you have continued to choose our location. We welcome the opportunity to continue serving you again in the near future. Thank you for selecting our hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
SC
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed here before and after a flight. On the front end, being Marriott Gold I was upgraded to Club Access and had a few issues with the room (none of which I mentioned until I checked out). The thermostat would not lower the temperature below 73 degrees (too warm for sleeping), a used washcloth was hanging from the shower rod, and the coffee cream was past expiration which I did not realize until it curdled in my coffee. On the return (after the Club Lounge had closed), I was given a coupons for a drink and appetizer in the bar (thank you Derrick!) and I was on the Club level. The small problem was that one TV remote control did not work (but since there were two TV's, the remotes were interchangeable). The Club Lounge was at it's best--new, friendly staff and generous offerings both evening and breakfast. This is my "go-to" airport hotel for the parking which used to be free, but is now $6 (recently reduced from a "trial" rate of $8/day). Check-in is always efficient and the staff welcoming.

Room Tip: Club Lounge access is a good value (considering breakfast and evening offerings). It is also open w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank DemandingGuy
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay, and the service that our staff provided. I am happy to hear that your inconvenience was handled in a timely manner. We welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Thank you for selecting our hotel!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at the Renaissance Suites Hotel - Charlotte, NC from the beginning of September to mid November 2013 while we were relocating and buying a house in Charlotte. As difficult as it was to be relocating and starting new jobs, we can honestly say that the staff at the Renaissance Suites made life pleasant for us and actually became like family to us. You will NEVER walk past a staff member at this hotel--bellman to front desk clerk to manager where they will not greet you with a smile and speak to you. They are very accommodating and truly want you to have a pleasant stay with them.

The food in the restaurant was delicious--especially the grits! The hand rub in the restrooms was amazing! The hotel was super clean--never felt like I had to wear shoes in my room. The fitness area is always clean, full of various types of equipment, TVs to pass the time while you work out, and nice touches like fresh apples for you after your workout. The indoor pool is kept clean and is very refreshing after a long day at work. The atmosphere of the lobby is extremely relaxing with a nice waterfall setting the tone. Every afternoon the hotel has some type of snack (cookies, chips, nuts, etc) and tea or other type of drink. in the lobby for the guests.

The hotel is very quiet. We never heard any noise from any other guests staying near us. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. Cable TV was great and rooms were spacious. Even though this hotel is near the airport, it is far enough away where you do not hear any air traffic noise.

We would like to especially thank the following employeees for making our stay so enjoyable: Nabil, Vee, Derrick, and Toni. Without them, I am sure we would not have enjoyed our stay as much.

We can guarantee that if you stay here, you will not be disappointed! Renaissance Suites, thank you for being so great!!! We love our new home, but we really do miss you guys!

Carol and Eddie Winslett

Room Tip: All rooms are good! No worries about staying near the elevators--you will not hear any noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank EnjoytravelingNC
Comfort while away from home is key to travelers, and Iam happy that you where able to find that at our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about the lasting impressions our staff members left you with. I will surely pass your comments to along.
Camas, Washington
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have stayed at this Renaissance many times over the last few years and the highlight is the staff. They model 'focus on the guest” There are many that stand out especially Yvonne who takes care of things at night, Evelyn in the bar and restaurant and many others.
They make the time away for home tolerable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Guest satisfaction is one of our major goals, and I am happy that our staff was able to make your experience with us enjoyable. I will pass your comments along to noted personal and thank you for your continued patronage with us.
Torrance, California
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here for a business trip and I was bummed that there was nothing within walking distance and nothing much around it. Thankfully the friendly staff at the Hotel had great suggestions. The front desk and informative shuttle driver (Varian) appointed me to take the metro rail into town. Spending several days with Varian, he was very friendly and helpful! I truly appreciated his help.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards the service that you received during your stay at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel. Your comments will be passed to noted staff member. We welcome the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed at the Renaissance on business after the airline lost my luggage. Staff was very accommodating in helping me to try and track it down, taking me shopping for replacement items, etc. When I left I forgot my Kindle but Stanley Young tracked it down for me and made sure it was returned. Great service.

• Stayed January 2014
I am happy to hear that your inconvenience was changed from a negative experience to a positive one by one of our staff members. Guest satisfaction is one of our major goals, and we are happy that Stanley exemplified this. I will pass your comments to noted staff member, and welcome the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Due to a flight change, I had to make a last minute booking on Dec 30th at a hotel near CLT. I chose the Renaissance because I’m loyal to Marriott properties and it received high TripAdvisor reviews for business travel. I was impressed by the grounds and entrance.

At check-in, I asked if any room upgrades were available for purchase because the Renaissance website only showed two room options. I was told there were no differences between the rooms, they are all suites.

The room I received (on 6th floor) had a broken cabinet (the door was unhinged and lying on the floor), very loud running pipes from the next room, all lamp outlets were broken, and a live beetle was crawling on one of the pillows (I killed/flushed it immediately). After I called the service desk, an engineer arrived to repair the cabinet and inspect the lamps; I had to insist that he replace at least one of the lamps with a functional one. When he returned, another beetle was crawling on the bedroom phone (he killed it). My request to change rooms was denied. I didn't see another bug the rest of the night but I didn't sleep well.

The free Wi-Fi in the lobby was adequate. I was worried about the noise from the large open lobby, but it was quiet in the room.

The following day, I was offered a complimentary breakfast I couldn't accept because of my early flight. I did receive a prompt and pleasant shuttle to the airport.

I almost didn't post this review, but I received a bill from FedEx for a box I shipped from this hotels FedEx shipping center. I was charged $50 by this hotel for shipping the box but FedEx didn't receive that money. Disgraceful!

My experience would say this hotel is subpar for business travelers and does not uphold the standards of other Marriott Hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Olivia W
Nabil W, Assistant General Manager (Room's Division) at Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel and for taking the time to write a review. Our goal is to provide excellent service and comfortable stay. At your earliest convenience please e mail me at nabil.wissa@jqh.com so we can look up your stay and assist you further. We appreciate your business.