“Good times!”

Ranked #30 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Pennsylvania
“Good times!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

This was one of the nicest hotels Ive stayed in, in a while. There was some renovations going on but it didnt bother anyone or anything. The place is lively, classy and welcoming. The food is average, but overpriced. The bartender really knows how to make you enjoy happy hour. The crew was polite and very helpful.
The pool facilites were nice and so was the gym, except that I didnt use it. A shop for souvenirs was open till very late, but instead of colecting keepsakes, I indulged in the variety of yummy snacks and drinks they carry. Also HAAGEN DAS! what a treat! The chick who works there is hot too.

bottom line, good place, worth the money.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Packerzzz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
sc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2008

This hotel was far from what I have experienced at Renaissance hotels, from ck in to ck out.
We stood in front of the clerk at the front desk for several minutes waiting for him to 'notice us' ie. greet us, nod, anything while he tapped away at his computer.
My son couldnt get the TV to work as the remote was broken, someone came up to fix it, after the 3rd attempt I said enough.
Room service forgot so many items they also had make 3 visits I was so sick of answering the door!
We soon discovered that the walls were so thin we could hear conversations as people walked thru the hall; but the worst was when a shrieking came from the bathroom in the middle of the night, apparently it had something to do with the water pressure as it ceased when we shut off the water supply to the toilet.
Upon ck out I related all this to two ladies at the desk and they stared at me blankly, and mumbled an apology.
When we went to our rental car someone had thrown some sort of ice cream drink all over the hood.
Not a place I will return to -ever.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2008

I will admit it – I was nervous that this would be like the other Renaissance hotels – in need of a visit from Extreme Makeover, Hotel Edition. But the Marriott promotion of a $100 coupon for a future stay lured me to the Renaissance Charlotte and also redeemed some of my faith in this Marriott brand. The front desk is actually a series of uncluttered tables that signals this is not every other hotel. The interior design is reminiscent of the Embassy Suites chain – open and square - but with more character. The holiday decorations certainly contributed to this sentiment although the lighting and greenery suggest more than a regular Embassy. We were upgraded to an executive suite which, for all intents and purposes, differs from the other suites in that the executive suite has a boardroom table. The suites offer extra space versus a hotel room – the sitting area works well if dining in – and enhances longer stays. Families and business travelers will also find the extra room beneficial. The downsides to the hotel include a charge for internet use (standard at Marriott and Renaissance hotels), a business center with free internet but malfunctioning computers, a brash front desk associate who discounted my claim that my key would not open the business center, and a location that is not within walking distance of anything sans a series of office parks. A car is essential although for layover stays the airport shuttle and restaurant would suffice. Despite these interruptions, the Renaissance Charlotte Suites did what no other Renaissance has – exceeded my expectation. Yes, I was downtrodden after several Renaissance stays and entered with low expectations, but this one is better than the rest. Overall grade: good but far from excellent.

• Liked — The spacious suites at the price of a hotel room
  • Disliked — The location and service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

Requested an early check in (normal check in is at 4:00 p.m.). The hotel booked at least two large conventions and was unable to handle the massive number of patrons. At 4:00, the room was still not ready and people were lined up waiting to check in. All were being told to "check back in 30 minutes." Ice machine was broken on my floor. The telephone in my room did not work. Only has one restaurant on the property; two computers in the "Business Center." And they charge $10.00 a day for Internet connection. I would never suggest a stay in this hotel.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Disliked — The rooms not being ready on time.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank ncsu_rn
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

This was my third stay in this hotel and it will probably be my last. Were to start... It took 30mins to check in. The food was subpar and the prices were outrageously high. I reserved three rooms. One was fine, one we couldn't get in, and one had water all over the carpet and smelled like mildew. It took 2hrs to get someone to fix the door to the room that we couldn't get into and I had to request another room without a wet carpet. The staff was somewhat helpful. The rooms were not as clean as before.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank briny319
Huntersville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

My first impression of this hotel is that it reminded me of an Embassy Suites, but a step up. The hotel had anopen atruim with glass elevators when you first walked in. The suites were clean and modern and I liked the subtle touches, such as nice throw pillows on the sofa and warm dark wood around the fridge and microwave. The bed was very comfortable and included a pillowtop mattress. I'm happy to see that hotels now understand that beds are top priority when staying away from home!
We had access to the club level and I was impressed with the morning and evening reception food. It seem to be more extensive than I have seen on other hotel club levels.
I had lunch a couple days in their restaurant and took advantage of the lunch buffets. It was pretty good, the service stood out more than the food. The servers were friendly, knowledgeable and seemed to be a step ahead with anything I needed.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely return if the need arised!

• Liked — I liked the look and feel of the suite
  • Disliked — Everything was great, if I had to pick something I'd probably like to have had the lunch buffet a little more upscale.
Stayed July 2007
McMurray, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

As soon as the sensored revolving doors wisked me into the grand foyer, I knew I picked a great hotel. Both reservations and check-in were quick and easy. There are three glass elevators, overlooking the atrium/lobby area, which has trees and rainfalls. The kids loved the quick rides on the elevator to our 5th floor room facing the front of the hotel. The kids loved watching out our window at the airplanes take-off from the nearby airport The hotel was quiet. In the Lobby, you only hear the waterfalls. The room and hotel were very clean. The room was tastefully decorated with neutral tones. When I asked for more shampoo and an additional towel, not only was it there in 10 minutes, but we received about 5 extra towel sets! The kids loved the pool - and the staff offered towels directly after being told all towels were used. The pool area did not have a chlorine smell and was pleasant in smell and temperature. We ate at the on-site restaurant for dinner and it was fantastic (try a desert if you're not on a diet, as they're GREAT!). The waiter (Mark?) was beyond super; he knew what we needed before we did!

• Liked — friendly staff, clean rooms, beautiful decor and great restaurant
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family