“Amazing hotel, poor location”

Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel
Ranked #38 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
“Amazing hotel, poor location”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel was immaculate. We stayed during a convention that we came into town for and couldn't be happier with the hotel itself. The only downfall is the location. However, the hotel did an amazing job of providing a shuttle to the local lightrail station where we could ride the train directly to the arena downtown. Overall it was a great experience!

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Virginia
Reviewed September 10, 2011

My biggest quip with this hotel is the fact that it does not mention in the reservation that debit card users are charged an extra 50.00/night for incidentals. Might be something you should add to your website Marriott as an FYI so people can plan accordingly. The room was nice and clean, very spacious. The AC was subpar and the circulation in the room was terrible. Room service was excellent although expensive, but that is to be expected it is room service! I guess my other issue is the fact that it took them 10 days to release the hold they had on the account. They kept blaming it on my bank, but I spoke with my bank and it wasnt on their end. I also dont like the fact that they dont adjust your initial amount held on your card, they charge the final bill amount on top of the hold amount. Other Marriott's adjust the hold amount and that is what is charged to your bank account. So my account held 1015.00 for our 4 day stay, I was not happy. This hotel should just explain their incidental charges up front instead of waiting until check-in and leaving the guest with no other choice, especially being last minute with other hotels booked in the area.

Room Tip: debit card users are charged an extra 50.00 per night
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Elkin, NC
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I travel constantly for business and only stay in Marriott brand. Renaissance is always a good choice. I have stayed twice so far and love the room quality. Everything is near perfect and spacious. I like the decor, the room layout, the bed comfort, and the bathroom. Everything looks pretty new. This is a great start to getting a high rating from me but ends up as average because of a list of negatives.

The food is top of the list. Hotels like this should have great food for the restaurant and room service. I ate there 4 times. Most of the food is below expectations except a salmon salad, which was good, though the salmon was tiny. The restaurant took about 25 minutes to deliver a simple turkey club plate, and I had to take it up to the room to eat, instead. I get better turkey clubs at the Charlotte airport. I ordered at the bar and the bar tender did not even seem to care about my simply turkey club taking forever. Nor was she even very attentive to ask me from another glass of wine.

The other list of negatives are:
1. Running toilet. Called it in and was never fixed correctly. (how simple to resolve)
2. Club lounge on 9th floor has poor food quality, selection, coffee setup
3. Poor room views (nothing to really view)
4. Manager was suppose to review my next reservation and never called me back or did anything. (This is disgraceful since the front desk told me that the Manager would address a reservation request.) For platinum status, I expext very responsive service.

I will try this hotel again but my exepctations are much lower on everything but room quality. I gave 3 stars, but if these other things are important to you, give it 2 stars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank John L
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This was our first time ever staying at Renaissance. This is a beautiful hotel. The breakfast was excellent. The rooms are large enough for families. I particularly like the fact that the beds are separated by a door making the bedroom private.

• Stayed September 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 25, 2011

From the moment I arrived, I was impressed by the Renaissance Charlotte Suites. I have stayed at this hotel on at least two or three occasions in the last several months and I have yet to be disappointed. The lobby and main areas of the hotel are immaculately clean and well decorated - the hotel commands an elegant presence even from outside.

The guest rooms are the real treat. Every room at this Renaissance is a suite and has at least a living room/sitting area with separate bedroom. The rooms are thus spacious and comfortable, and they are well-appointed and upscale.

The hotel's fitness center was sufficient - it was nothing spectacular but it was slightly better than the average hotel gym. While I didn't use the pool, the Renaissance had a beautiful one. This hotel does charge $10 per night for internet service, something I find obnoxious and an instant "ding" for any hotel. Parking, however, was free and not very easy to navigate.

I found the staff professional and courteous - while I did not have any negative encounters, they never did anything to go that extra mile or do anything particularly impressive either. The location of the hotel could, perhaps, be somewhat of a con - it did seem everywhere we needed to go was a bit of a drive compared to times we stayed at other Charlotte hotels. An elegant, pleasant place to stay and a true value for weekends spent in Charlotte - this hotel is consistently $99-$119 per night from Friday to Sunday night. You simply can't beat the price with what the hotel is offers. Superb!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Used by business travelers, but good for families with kids. Pull out couch/living area, great for kids. Separate king bedroom WITH door!
Pool is nice. Very clean

• Stayed August 2011
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here and loved this hotel. The room was huge, nicely furnished , and the lobby and common area was well maintaned!! The beds are soft and cozy with high quality linens. The bathroom had plenty of towels and was also a nice size. I can't stop bragging about how I loved this hotel for the price.

Room Tip: we booked the room through Priceline and was shocked at the value. More than our money's worth!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business