“Lazy lazy lazy!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #107 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Charlotte
“Lazy lazy lazy!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a wedding scheduled for the last day of Aug. 2013. Several ground keeping items were not done as promised we had to ask several times. Jackee was nice an helped a lot but was hard to find and didn't really seem interested in the event. The staff did not arrive until 3pm to start setting up and did not have enough chairs for the wedding party that was agreed upon. It did rain so the wedding had to be moved inside which was standing room only which sucked big time. Overall the location is beautiful but the experience is not worth it ...

• Stayed September 2013
      Rooms
10 Thank nikkinicole704
Billy M, General Manager at The VanLandingham Estate, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We're sorry that you were disappointed in your experience hosting your ceremony at our Estate. As you pointed out, it did rain and there was always a "plan B", in the even of bad weather. The rain plan was to move ceremony inside, into the largest room we had. When the rain came, that's what was done. We moved as many chairs into that room as we possibly could. Obviously this wasn't an ideal situation for you or your guests, but it had been contemplated and was the best alternative that you agreed to prior to your event date. Best of luck to you in your married life!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Mother's Day brunch at the VanLandingham has become a tradition for our family and this year's brunch was by far the best ever! The weather was incredible and the food selection was even better. Everyone at our table was thrilled with the food, this place should write a cookbook. The staff kept us happy between trips to the buffet, they were polite and courteous, and we couldn't have been more thrilled. My one regret is that I ate too much and only had room enough left to try 2 of the desserts!
I only give this a 4 star review because I always believe there's room for improvement, but I can't stress enough what a wonderful time we had!

1 Thank Altona J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our family really enjoyed the Mothers Day brunch again this year! This is our 5th or 6th year in a row attending and it seems to be better and better every time. My wife would probably be disappointed if I booked any other place.

The food was delicious, as always, and the roses you give to Mothers is a very nice touch. Our server was sweet and efficient and she even made my grandmother some cocktail sauce for her shrimp that wasn't as hot as the one being served.

We sat outside this year for the first time and wow did we get lucky with the perfect weather. Sitting in those beautiful gardens was really special.

I highly recommend the Estate for events of any type. It's a real Charlotte treasure!!

1 Thank Will J
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

My family and I attended the Mother's Day brunch at Van Landingham and we had an appalling experience. We were seated basically in the parking lot, in an area right by a dirty cigarette trash can. As a college student, I worked in bars where patrons throw peanuts on the floor, and we still cared enough to sweep up cigarette butts. I would have expected a clean space at the Van Landingham Estate. When we requested to sit outside, we thought we would be seated in the grassy area that is featured in the photos on the website. During our brunch, we went without drinks so long that one of us went to the bar to pour our own waters. We never did get coffee (a staple component of a brunch) because we were told there was none available until we were finished eating and plates had been cleared. Many of the food items were unavailable because they were not being replenished. There were no standard condiments (butter, syrup) available. Upon attempting to get a second serving of the foods that were available, there were no clean plates available so we slopped our leftovers onto one plate and took our dirty plates back to fill. One of us gave up on ever receiving coffee so we ordered one bloody mary and one mimosa to laugh off the ridiculousness of the experience. Then after a brunch of waiting around for standard items, some one came over and actually gave us a bill for the two drinks we ordered. Seriously. Now after paying $151 for four people to have a poorly executed "garden" brunch, we were offended at actually being asked to pay for a mimosa and a bloody mary after we spent the whole meal without basic drinks. However, we were very polite to all the staff throughout the meal because we were not really sure whose fault it was that it was such a poor experience. We had a group of four people, two of whom have worked as servers/bartenders previously, and we are generally the LAST people to be finicky or complain about meals. I also provided this feedback on their online comment form twice and no one from this place bothered to respond. HORRIBLE. Do NOT plan an event here.

5 Thank Kimberly820
We're sorry that your brunch experience was not satisfactory. When you arrived you made us aware that you weren't happy with your table assignment and unfortunately we weren't able to accommodate you at another assigned table. We would have if we could have. I think if you'll visit with us again sometime you'll find that your experience was uncharacteristic of what our guests have come to enjoy about our Mothers Day Brunch.

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Horrible. My assigned wedding director, Melissa [--], was unprofessional and unprepared. When my bridal party and I arrived, we did not have a room to get dressed in. Unbeknownst to me, Melissa had triple booked the venue. One bridal party was preparing in the carriage house (which was supposed to be saved for me) and one bridal party had the rooms upstairs. Melissa offed me the LOBBY to get dressed in! This was totally unacceptable. My photographer could not capture the shots she was hired to capture, as it pertained to my preparations with my mother and my bridal party. At the end of the evening, I was given the bottom of my wedding cake to take home. I specifically told Melissa that I wanted the top tier, in order that my husband and I would share it on our first wedding anniversary. I even had to gather up my belongings myself at the end, with your staff directing me intermittently with comments like, “oh, you left a box over there………..”; no assistance whatsoever. I cannot begin to tell you the heartache I have as a result of this. Having my dream wedding at the glamorous Van Landingham Estate was something I had planned for and envisioned for a long time. My family and I are saddened by the treatment we received from your staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
12 Thank normasaurus
We're sorry to learn of your difficulties. To be clear, the "triple booking" you refer to was over the course of a weekend, not on the day of your wedding party. We did have three events that weekend, but the prior two, on the previous day, should not have affected your event in any way. When you arrived to begin dressing, the room guest room that we had intended for you was still occupied by the prior night's guests. As a result, we moved you to another guest room for dressing, which did cause a slight delay to you as our housekeeping team was working as quickly as they could to clean it for your occupancy. We're genuinely sorry for the delay this caused.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had my daughter’s wedding here in September 2012. Could not be more disappointed with the event coordinator Melissa. She is friendly and helpful until you sign and pay. After that she does not return calls or emails. The area we planned to have our guest seated for dinner was covered in straw and seed we discovered at the rehearsal the night before the wedding! That left us trying to figure out another plan the day of the wedding! Caused more stress than the venue is worth. Melissa also had another bridal party scheduled for a rehearsal as my daughters guest where arriving for her wedding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
8 Thank AppGradMom
We're sorry to hear that your overall impression of our Estate was not positive. We're glad to hear that the party itself went well.

While it's true that our five acre property does require unexpected maintenance from time to time, especially during the Fall grass planting season, you did have seven other formal entertaining areas to choose from for your guest seating. As you'll recall, you opted to use the seeded area anyway, which was not visible once all the tables and chairs were in place. If our staff didn't make you aware of the newly planted grass prior to your arrival for rehearsal, they certainly should have and we understand how that oversight could have caused unnecessary stress the day before your wedding event.
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is an OLD HOUSE in a declining neighborhood. The grounds are beautiful, the staff were polite and friendly, and the weather was perfect for an outdoor wedding. The commons rooms are cold, tired, and uninviting. The Ballroom/Dining Room has the ambience of a converted garage. We were planning to stay here for the wedding. After reading the reviews, I called several times to get details about the room. No one ever answered the phone. I left messages to call me back...never got a call. We stayed at a downtown hotel. Guests who stayed here confirmed our impression, but I can't personally rate the sleep quality or rooms as a result.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family