“Horrible experience”

The VanLandingham Estate
Ranked #115 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My family and I attended the Mother's Day brunch at Van Landingham and we had an appalling experience. We were seated basically in the parking lot, in an area right by a dirty cigarette trash can. As a college student, I worked in bars where patrons throw peanuts on the floor, and we still cared enough to sweep up cigarette butts. I would have expected a clean space at the Van Landingham Estate. When we requested to sit outside, we thought we would be seated in the grassy area that is featured in the photos on the website. During our brunch, we went without drinks so long that one of us went to the bar to pour our own waters. We never did get coffee (a staple component of a brunch) because we were told there was none available until we were finished eating and plates had been cleared. Many of the food items were unavailable because they were not being replenished. There were no standard condiments (butter, syrup) available. Upon attempting to get a second serving of the foods that were available, there were no clean plates available so we slopped our leftovers onto one plate and took our dirty plates back to fill. One of us gave up on ever receiving coffee so we ordered one bloody mary and one mimosa to laugh off the ridiculousness of the experience. Then after a brunch of waiting around for standard items, some one came over and actually gave us a bill for the two drinks we ordered. Seriously. Now after paying $151 for four people to have a poorly executed "garden" brunch, we were offended at actually being asked to pay for a mimosa and a bloody mary after we spent the whole meal without basic drinks. However, we were very polite to all the staff throughout the meal because we were not really sure whose fault it was that it was such a poor experience. We had a group of four people, two of whom have worked as servers/bartenders previously, and we are generally the LAST people to be finicky or complain about meals. I also provided this feedback on their online comment form twice and no one from this place bothered to respond. HORRIBLE. Do NOT plan an event here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Kimberly820
Billy M, General Manager at The VanLandingham Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

We're sorry that your brunch experience was not satisfactory. When you arrived you made us aware that you weren't happy with your table assignment and unfortunately we weren't able to accommodate you at another assigned table. We would have if we could have. I think if you'll visit with us again sometime you'll find that your experience was uncharacteristic of what our guests have come to enjoy about our Mothers Day Brunch.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Horrible. My assigned wedding director, Melissa [--], was unprofessional and unprepared. When my bridal party and I arrived, we did not have a room to get dressed in. Unbeknownst to me, Melissa had triple booked the venue. One bridal party was preparing in the carriage house (which was supposed to be saved for me) and one bridal party had the rooms upstairs. Melissa offed me the LOBBY to get dressed in! This was totally unacceptable. My photographer could not capture the shots she was hired to capture, as it pertained to my preparations with my mother and my bridal party. At the end of the evening, I was given the bottom of my wedding cake to take home. I specifically told Melissa that I wanted the top tier, in order that my husband and I would share it on our first wedding anniversary. I even had to gather up my belongings myself at the end, with your staff directing me intermittently with comments like, “oh, you left a box over there………..”; no assistance whatsoever. I cannot begin to tell you the heartache I have as a result of this. Having my dream wedding at the glamorous Van Landingham Estate was something I had planned for and envisioned for a long time. My family and I are saddened by the treatment we received from your staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank normasaurus

We're sorry to learn of your difficulties. To be clear, the "triple booking" you refer to was over the course of a weekend, not on the day of your wedding party. We did have three events that weekend, but the prior two, on the previous day, should not have affected your event in any way. When you arrived to begin dressing, the room guest room that we had intended for you was still occupied by the prior night's guests. As a result, we moved you to another guest room for dressing, which did cause a slight delay to you as our housekeeping team was working as quickly as they could to clean it for your occupancy. We're genuinely sorry for the delay this caused.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had my daughter’s wedding here in September 2012. Could not be more disappointed with the event coordinator Melissa. She is friendly and helpful until you sign and pay. After that she does not return calls or emails. The area we planned to have our guest seated for dinner was covered in straw and seed we discovered at the rehearsal the night before the wedding! That left us trying to figure out another plan the day of the wedding! Caused more stress than the venue is worth. Melissa also had another bridal party scheduled for a rehearsal as my daughters guest where arriving for her wedding.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank AppGradMom

We're sorry to hear that your overall impression of our Estate was not positive. We're glad to hear that the party itself went well.

While it's true that our five acre property does require unexpected maintenance from time to time, especially during the Fall grass planting season, you did have seven other formal entertaining areas to choose from for your guest seating. As you'll recall, you opted to use the seeded area anyway, which was not visible once all the tables and chairs were in place. If our staff didn't make you aware of the newly planted grass prior to your arrival for rehearsal, they certainly should have and we understand how that oversight could have caused unnecessary stress the day before your wedding event.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is an OLD HOUSE in a declining neighborhood. The grounds are beautiful, the staff were polite and friendly, and the weather was perfect for an outdoor wedding. The commons rooms are cold, tired, and uninviting. The Ballroom/Dining Room has the ambience of a converted garage. We were planning to stay here for the wedding. After reading the reviews, I called several times to get details about the room. No one ever answered the phone. I left messages to call me back...never got a call. We stayed at a downtown hotel. Guests who stayed here confirmed our impression, but I can't personally rate the sleep quality or rooms as a result.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank OldDukeDoc
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Not far from downtown Charlotte sits this estate which is surrounded by gardens. We stayed in the carriage house. The King bed was comfortable in the Magnolia Room and the bathroom spacious. The breakfast was ample and the dining room ambience old timey elegant. My only concern was that I could not locate the thermostat in the room. Yet, the temp was okay. I just like to know where the thermostat is in case I want to adjust it.

Room Tip: I stayed in the carriage house and did not look at the other rooms in the main house. The carriage h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RIKIVOGEL
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I very much enjoyed my stay at the VanLandingham estate. I was there for several days visiting my son who lives in Charlotte. There was a bit of a special going on so the room was an extra value. I stayed in the Redwood for three nights and the facilities were just fine for me. As the website says, the shower is not suitable for a tall person,but I'm short so it was fine. The only thing that would have made my stay a bit better would have been a better internet connection. Even plugged in, there were times I couldn't connect. Of course, my sprint phone was useless there as well, but they have a phone in the room and local calls were free. The breakfast was really great! They give you three choices of entrees for the following morning. Weekends is a buffet, so everything is out! The gardens were beautiful, although due to allergies I didn't venture to experience them up close. The innkeepers changed, day to day and at night, but all were equally attentive and helpful. They make you feel right at home right away. Although I was initially wary of staying at a bed and breakfast where the owners were not on site, this was a very homey experience, nonetheless! I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank traveliteVA
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Friendly staff. Very accommodating. Complimentary beverages. Delicious breakfast. Beautiful grounds. A great night away!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple