My family and I attended the Mother's Day brunch at Van Landingham and we had an appalling experience. We were seated basically in the parking lot, in an area right by a dirty cigarette trash can. As a college student, I worked in bars where patrons throw peanuts on the floor, and we still cared enough to sweep up cigarette butts. I would have expected a clean space at the Van Landingham Estate. When we requested to sit outside, we thought we would be seated in the grassy area that is featured in the photos on the website. During our brunch, we went without drinks so long that one of us went to the bar to pour our own waters. We never did get coffee (a staple component of a brunch) because we were told there was none available until we were finished eating and plates had been cleared. Many of the food items were unavailable because they were not being replenished. There were no standard condiments (butter, syrup) available. Upon attempting to get a second serving of the foods that were available, there were no clean plates available so we slopped our leftovers onto one plate and took our dirty plates back to fill. One of us gave up on ever receiving coffee so we ordered one bloody mary and one mimosa to laugh off the ridiculousness of the experience. Then after a brunch of waiting around for standard items, some one came over and actually gave us a bill for the two drinks we ordered. Seriously. Now after paying $151 for four people to have a poorly executed "garden" brunch, we were offended at actually being asked to pay for a mimosa and a bloody mary after we spent the whole meal without basic drinks. However, we were very polite to all the staff throughout the meal because we were not really sure whose fault it was that it was such a poor experience. We had a group of four people, two of whom have worked as servers/bartenders previously, and we are generally the LAST people to be finicky or complain about meals. I also provided this feedback on their online comment form twice and no one from this place bothered to respond. HORRIBLE. Do NOT plan an event here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The VanLandingham Estate is a beautiful place to rest your soul, host spectacular events for weddings or rehearsal dinners or gather for productive business meetings, seminars or retreats. The Estate welcomes guests with its unique combination of warm hospitality, grace, subtle southern elegance and fine foods. Our Historic Inn is located in Plaza Midwood just minutes from Uptown Charlotte, The Estate includes the Harwood Home, a distinctive California bungalow-style estate.Excite your senses with a stroll on our magnificent five acres of grounds, the oldest premier gardens in Mecklenburg County. Or escape to a private nook in the Carriage House. Considered one of the finest hotels in Charlotte, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Historic estate has lodging rooms and accommodations available year round for leisure, lodging, private business meetings, picnics from two to twenty and social events. We look forward to having you as our guest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your The VanLandingham Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vanlandingham Estate Charlotte
- Vanlandingham Estate Hotel Charlotte
- The Van Landingham Estate