“DON'T DO IT!”

and 1 more site!
The VanLandingham Estate
Ranked #114 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had my daughter’s wedding here in September 2012. Could not be more disappointed with the event coordinator Melissa. She is friendly and helpful until you sign and pay. After that she does not return calls or emails. The area we planned to have our guest seated for dinner was covered in straw and seed we discovered at the rehearsal the night before the wedding! That left us trying to figure out another plan the day of the wedding! Caused more stress than the venue is worth. Melissa also had another bridal party scheduled for a rehearsal as my daughters guest where arriving for her wedding.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank AppGradMom
Billy M, General Manager at The VanLandingham Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

We're sorry to hear that your overall impression of our Estate was not positive. We're glad to hear that the party itself went well.

While it's true that our five acre property does require unexpected maintenance from time to time, especially during the Fall grass planting season, you did have seven other formal entertaining areas to choose from for your guest seating. As you'll recall, you opted to use the seeded area anyway, which was not visible once all the tables and chairs were in place. If our staff didn't make you aware of the newly planted grass prior to your arrival for rehearsal, they certainly should have and we understand how that oversight could have caused unnecessary stress the day before your wedding event.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is an OLD HOUSE in a declining neighborhood. The grounds are beautiful, the staff were polite and friendly, and the weather was perfect for an outdoor wedding. The commons rooms are cold, tired, and uninviting. The Ballroom/Dining Room has the ambience of a converted garage. We were planning to stay here for the wedding. After reading the reviews, I called several times to get details about the room. No one ever answered the phone. I left messages to call me back...never got a call. We stayed at a downtown hotel. Guests who stayed here confirmed our impression, but I can't personally rate the sleep quality or rooms as a result.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank OldDukeDoc
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Not far from downtown Charlotte sits this estate which is surrounded by gardens. We stayed in the carriage house. The King bed was comfortable in the Magnolia Room and the bathroom spacious. The breakfast was ample and the dining room ambience old timey elegant. My only concern was that I could not locate the thermostat in the room. Yet, the temp was okay. I just like to know where the thermostat is in case I want to adjust it.

Room Tip: I stayed in the carriage house and did not look at the other rooms in the main house. The carriage h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RIKIVOGEL
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I very much enjoyed my stay at the VanLandingham estate. I was there for several days visiting my son who lives in Charlotte. There was a bit of a special going on so the room was an extra value. I stayed in the Redwood for three nights and the facilities were just fine for me. As the website says, the shower is not suitable for a tall person,but I'm short so it was fine. The only thing that would have made my stay a bit better would have been a better internet connection. Even plugged in, there were times I couldn't connect. Of course, my sprint phone was useless there as well, but they have a phone in the room and local calls were free. The breakfast was really great! They give you three choices of entrees for the following morning. Weekends is a buffet, so everything is out! The gardens were beautiful, although due to allergies I didn't venture to experience them up close. The innkeepers changed, day to day and at night, but all were equally attentive and helpful. They make you feel right at home right away. Although I was initially wary of staying at a bed and breakfast where the owners were not on site, this was a very homey experience, nonetheless! I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank traveliteVA
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Friendly staff. Very accommodating. Complimentary beverages. Delicious breakfast. Beautiful grounds. A great night away!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ferret2220
Reviewed April 17, 2009

I tried to book one of my clients at The Morehead Inn, which is where I usually put my out of town guests. Turns out, they are somehow affiliated with this Estate. Anyway, they were full and sent me to the VanLandingham Estate. My client was thrilled with his visit and couldn't stop talking about how relaxed he felt and how beautiful the place was. He kept saying that from now on, he was going to stay in historic inns when he traveled, rather than hotels.

While I didn't personally stay there, I can tell you that the first thing that strikes you upon arrival is the massive and beautiful gardens and grounds surrounding the buildings. I just couldn't believe something like that was located right in the middle of Charlotte.

I will be placing my clients there from here on out.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank muchtodo
Reviewed January 25, 2009

We tried to visit the property for my daughter's wedding but the staff was totally uncooperative in showing the property and discussing its services. It is hard to understand how people could be so rude in a service industry such as a hotel. We ended up at a different location.

Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank PGML

We're sorry that you weren't able to book with us. Our staff certainly tries to accommodate everyone possible. Our notes indicate that your event, for a variety of reasons, wasn't a good fit for our unique location. If it seemed like our staff was uncooperative, that was certainly not our intent and we apologize that it appeared that way.