“Torn between returning to give them a second chance or not all”

Cho Won Garden Korean Barbeque & Cuisine
Cuisines: Korean
Neighborhood: East Forest
Neighborhood: East Forest
charlotte, north carolina
“Torn between returning to give them a second chance or not all”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were hungry coming to the restaurant. We were told it was 45 mins. wait time at 8pm, on a Saturday. It was ok because the menu had so many choices so my friend went ahead and used the time to browse thru. It didn't take that long a wait to get seated tho. Unfortunately, we waited about 10 more mins before a waiter noticed us when we were already seated. Restaurant was not full & looked a bit understaffed, but we would have appreciated if someone had the initiative to stop by our table and asked what we wanted to drink for the time being. Servers just paced back and forth. I actually had to wave my hand to get noticed. So yeah, wait time did turn out to be 45 mins.

POSITIVE THOUGHTS: Restaurant was easy to find. Atmosphere was inviting and you don't leave smelling too stinky from the grilling that goes on inside. They have good exhaust. The servers and wait staff seem friendly. At least when we were given our orders, a server finally got the chance to stop by and check on us a few minutes after being served.

My dol sot bibimbap seemed to be lacking in taste. It's good that they control portions for salt in their food and leave it to a customer to season it, but somehow, I feel there's something lacking. I just put in more gochujang (that red sauce) so I don't get too disappointed. I know one can prefer to put in shredded beef or thinly sliced beef strips but the beef in my food seemed more like a small lump of canned corned beef. I seriously had to really dig through my food. Well, I had to anyway since that's how the food is eaten. The veggies were plentiful at least. I've been to many Korean restaurants here in the US and in Asia so I can't say I don't know much about Korean food. My friend got herself the beef bone soup and wasn't too ecstatic about it either. Their jap chae (vermicelli with veggies) was done right, at least to my palate. It was tasty, veggies were not overcooked and the noodles wasn't soggy. I know there's much more in the menu but I purposely got the "safe" choices and usually just go a little bit adventurous when I come back at an establishment-- that is, when I get impressed on the "traditional" fare that I experience the first time. Needless to say, I am torn between coming back and giving them a second chance, or I'll just stick to the old hole-in-the-wall type Korean resto Peppero where I usually go to. Everyone was giving excellent reviews, but it's either I'm too picky with food & service, or I'm really just missing out on something and someone needs to let me know what it is.

• Visited March 2013

Newport News
“Very good Resturant”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed the resturant and staff very much. The waitress offered to help us with the menu and ordering, our selection was good. My wife just had the shrimp appetizer and it was more than enough for her as the portions are plenty.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Joe B
Matthews, North Carolina
“Be Adventurous!”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

They run the gamut here, safe choices such as sweet & sour, tempura and fried rice to traditional Korean dishes which can be quite an adventure! The family that owns this restaurant is exceptional, if you go more than once they will remember you and what you like, seriously; I am known for my fondness of Pinot Grigio :) and bimbap. The banchan served at every table is different every time we have been there; don't say you really like something while eating unless you want more, they will bring you more! This is a place we like to bring friends and family. A lovely place to enjoy a wonderful meal. BTW, they no longer offer a buffet lunch, at least during the week. We will be dining there this weekend, if anything has changed I will edit my post.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank hipquest
Huntersville, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Korean - Asian food!”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

This is the best Asian food I had since coming to North Carolina...Not too expensive, value for money (in the case where we got a set meal for 2). It is the closest Korean food that we have found in Charlotte.

There is a bell on every table, where you can press the button for service if you need something but they haven't come by. They do come by now and then to check if everything is okay.

It seems very quiet. I have been here twice for dinner only, but they do serve buffet lunch. Buffet is only served during lunch time.

• Visited April 2011