“Great Location”

Ranked #80 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Location”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Besides having a great location I'm not sure we would stay here again. I don't know if we just had bad luck, but there was MMA Fight going on until 11:30pm which was pretty noisy in the common area. Then we could hear the clubs till 2am. Needless to say we didn't get much sleep. We did love being so close to restaurants and shopping and even took time to go bowling which was right next to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Jimaloft, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Megs7154,
Please accept my apology for the noise you experienced while staying at Aloft. It sounds as if everything else was enjoyable. Our location is wonderful if you want to be in the center of it all, but with the "center-of-it-all" comes some activity at times. We have a good grasp of the "goings-on" in the EpiCentre so please feel free to inquire about the social schedule prior to your next trip. It doesn't hurt to ask about the "quiet-side" of the hotel.; we always do our best to accommodate every taste.
Jim Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
boston, ma
Reviewed October 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for four nights using SPG.com points in September 2010. I had high expectations for this hotel and in no way was I disappointed! I've always loved the aesthetic and idea of the aloft chain, and was excited when this opened up. It was only about a five/ten minute walk from the NASCAR Hall of Fame, and in the heart of the Epicentre. The selection of places to eat and drink are endless and right outside your door. Also, we loved that there was an enormous CVS right outside.

The room itself was sparkling clean. It was all shiny and new! I loved the fact that there was an ENORMOUS HD TV in the room with most of the stations that you'd want (including Speed!). The internet was really fast and free! The staff was young and friendly and willing to answer any question we had. Oh- and there was a giant fridge in the room! That is always a huge bonus.

I had read a lot of comments on this site that said that the rooms were really loud. Our room faced Dale Jr's bar and the center of the Epicentre and was on the 9th floor. Honestly, it was a little noisy but nothing that kept us up. I wouldn't think twice about staying on that side again. It was the only night that I heard even a peep.

My only complaints (and they are small ones!)... the elevator situation was a complete pain. You have to take an elevator to the fifth floor only to get to another elevator that then takes you to your room. Not a big deal, but they were so slow. The toiletries in our room were never refreshed. They have self-dispensing shampoo and body wash, and by the end of the stay there wasn't enough to pump out. That was really disappointing since they have Bliss products in the room and I was looking forward to using them during my stay. But the thing that I really didn't like was the pillows. They use feather pillows which are pretty much useless to me. Also, there were only two on the bed and we had to ask for more.

Overall it was a great advertisement for the aloft chain!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Maebyfunke,
Thank you for your coments! I am delighted to hear that overall everything contributed to a memorable stay. Candidly, our EpiCentre location is the best of both worlds for folks traveling to the NASCAR Hall of Fame; a quick walk and everything at your door! As you figured out, our rooms were designed with all the latest "techie" needs including lightening-fast wireless internet. We'll keep up with the demand on our Bliss products so there is no risk of running low on your next visit. Thanks again for your comments!
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Their phone service is much friendlier than in person. My stay started with a complicated trip up to get to the hard to find lobby for first timers from self-parking and then a sour exchange with the not so warm front desk. They say they are pet friendly & treat animals like people... In which case I feel sorry for the other guests. Also, they promised a doggie "package" which I never saw although I booked the reservation in advance and told them I was traveling with a dog.
Location: Great downtown location but just not dog friendly. I hope your dog can hold it for a long time because it isn't easy to find a place for them to relieve themselves in this area.
Parking was very confusing. There doesn't seem to be any relationship between the hotel and the only parking available. I'd recommend the valet although I didn't use it so I can't vouch for it. The self-parking policies seem to change constantly and you have to pay every time you enter or leave even if you are with the hotel. We were given different information from the front desk & the parking attendants each time we asked. I think they are still smoothing out the process.
The lobby bar was cool to look at but once again service was cold. I ordered food & drinks and got attitude from the bartender for ordering food because he was the only person on staff. I'm still not sure why that was my fault but I think I did a good job of staying upbeat. Perhaps they shouldn't offer food if they are understaffed.
Honestly I don't remember the quality of the room. So i'll give them average rating. But I do remember it being clean.
By morning the place grew on me & the staff was friendlier. One staff member even helped us all the way to our car because there were no luggage carts to be found. This was the first time in the whole stay that I felt like it was a nice place. He is the only reason I'm giving Service 2 instead of 1.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dear Looksfordogfriendly,
Please accept my apology for the service you received at our hotel. I am disappointed that the service was anything less than outstanding. We do pride ourselves on the way we typically handle our pet friends, having received local acclaim for our "pet-friendliness"; obviously we dropped the ball in your case. We will definitely use the feedback as training material for our talent. I do hope you will provide us another opportunity to serve you and your pet; I'm confident that the improvements will be evident.
Oldham
Reviewed October 7, 2010

This is a pretty typical "Boutique Hotel", smart contemporary furniture, decor and fittings.
But like every other Hotel like this that I've stayed in, totally impractical.
There is only enough closet space for a single nights stay and you are left with the choice of not unpacking or storing your clothes on the floor !
Also, they forgot to bother with any sound-proofing when they built the place and there is no way of avoiding both outside road noise and noise from neighbouring rooms. You should expect plenty of the latter, especially at week-ends at it is a serious party Hotel !
The reason for this is simply the location, which is perfect if you are having a night out or attending an event in Charlotte City Centre.
However, unless you can get a reallly good room rate, as I did, you would probably be more comfortable somewhere else

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Colmac,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the level of activity within the EpiCentre entertainment complex was such that you were disturbed by the noise. This "hub of activity" is very popular for a great many people, but can create challenges at time. I encourage you to call ahead and ask for the availability of rooms on the "quiet-side" of the hotel; we do our best to accommodate all requests. Thank you again for your comments.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I went to Charlotte for an event at the Time Warner Arena and I picked this hotel because it was the closest (this was a terrible mistake). We booked a hotel room for 3 people with 2 queen beds on hotels.com. The service we received was HORRIBLE throughout our entire stay. First, we were told when we got there that, because we booked on a third-party site, the hotel does not care about us and we are only there to fill in the gaps (they literally told us this). Instead of the room we booked with 2 beds, we were placed in a room with only 1 bed for 3 people. When we arrived in our room on the 7th floor, there was a band setting up on a rooftop bar directly underneath our window. We called the front desk and we were told that all noise would cease at 10:30pm due to the proximity with the hotel. Boy, was this wrong. At 2:15 am, we were woken up to screaming people and club music outside our window and at the same time a party on our hall that we could hear from our room on the opposite side of the building. When we called down to the front desk, instead of receiving good customer service saying "I'm sorry you were woken up at 2:15 in the morning. Let me see what I can do about that" they actually said, "We can't control what happens outside of our hotel." Only after I explained that Charlotte had a noise ordinance that was surely in effect at 2:15 am would they agree to do anything. The noise finally died down around 3:15am. Do NOT stay here!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ktsullivan

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels

Columbia, SC
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We chose this particular place to stay as we thought it best for it's location. However, the price tag for Aloft is only because of the location and nothing else.... the rooms are reminiscent of a Target-style dorm room and ironically enough, the majority of people staying there were acting like it was a frat house. Upon arriving to the hotel for check-in (mind you it wasn't crowded at the time), the hotel staff seemed annoyed I was interrupting their conversation and gave me a clearly scripted 'welcome'. To make matters worse, after quickly checking in, putting my stuff in my room, and turning right around to get to a meeting my friend and I were running late for, I return later to see that some things were moved around and my expensive SLR camera was stolen out of the room - a piece of equipment I needed for work purposes later that night. It was my mistake to think I could leave it in a convenient place in what I thought was a secure hotel room, but after explaining the situation to the front desk and being as patient as I could, all I got was a "Oh. That sucks. What's a 'Nikon' again?" I asked to file a complaint and they said they didn't know how to go about it because I "couldn't prove it" and the best they could do was "keep an eye out for it." I should've coughed up the extra $50 to stay at the Omni across the street where I could've gotten some real customer service, a good night's sleep, and felt safe and respected.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank CeliaG08
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2010

The hotel was very comfortable and in a great location. I would agree with a lot of the reviewers that the AC was kind of loud. I rate the place very positively though because I left my ipod behind and they were so helpful and prompt about returning it to me. I think their service is excellent! The bar was also a fun place to hang out at night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Dear AbbyZ,
Thank you for your comments regarding the honesty of our talent. I am proud to work for a group of indivduals who live in accordance to a high-level of integrity. While we are known for fun and savvy service, our number one concern is the safety and security of our guests and their belongings; it's a topic in frequent meetings and training sessions. I look forward to seeing you on a future visit.