“Not as bad”

Ranked #77 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Edgefield
“Not as bad”
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Well I read alot of reviews about this hotel and I was worried about my stay. But things went great. My son and I went to a concert in charlotte last night, it was in a PERFECT location for the Times Square center. It was a sunday night so I did not hear any of the party scene noise so I was happy about that. I did stay on the "noisy" side as well. The sign, I finally found on the way out this am. So I have to agree it is not well marked at all. I looked for the parking garage for the epicenter and I knew that's where I should be. Also the garage is more suited for smaller vehicles. I have a Ford Expedition and it did take me a while to find a spot that would fit my truck. In the garage the hotel is marked well but again I also knew that it was on the 5th floor. The hotel is very modern and unique. Normally not my taste but we only slept there. The walls were paper thin. As we walked down the hallway I heard couples fighting but once in the room it was fairly quiet. The room was ample size, clean. Nice TV. Not alot of space if you needed to stay for any length of time. Otherwise it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 4dobelover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We recently stayed at the Aloft Charlotte for just one night during a vacation. This was our second Aloft stay, and we were not disappointed.

Pros:
1. Good location, near many restaurants/bars in downtown Charlotte. Noticed some guard-type people in the hotel later in the evening, to ensure that things were in order.

2. Clean, modern feel: Rooms were exactly as they were in our previous visit- nice selection of magazines, great Bliss products (I like the soap/shampoo dispensers in the shower so that we don't have to deal with little bottles in the shower), comfortable bed, and free Wi-Fi (no issues with connection).

3. Responsive staff- our initial room had a funny smell that seemed to worsen when we turned on the AC/heating unit (like a burning smell). We notified the front desk and they changed our room immediately.

4. Love the self checkout stations.

Cons:
1. Separate parking garage/entrance elevator and room tower elevators. The parking elevator also opens up into the Epicentre which is convenient when you want to go there, but not so convenient when drunken frat boys are using it as well.

2. Parking is expensive- $20/day. Self parking and valet parking the same. Seemed a bit overpriced for Charlotte (we're from the NYC/Philly area).

3. Two elevator banks for 9 floors of rooms. Seemed a bit slow. If your room is by the elevators, will likely hear the ringing of the elevators.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jadePhiladelphia
Atlanta
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and have just good things to say about my experience there. The hotel is conveniently situated downtown/uptown and is walking distance to food, shops and the Time Warner Cable Arena is just a block away from the hotel.

I was warmly greeted by the friendly hotel staff and checked in with no problems. The staff was also very friendly and quite helpful when I called the day before my arrival when I called to inquire about transporation from the airport. They do not have a hotel shuttle, but they arranged a car to pick me up and take me back to the airport for a fee. No car was needed since there were multiple dining optons just outside the doors of the hotel. FYI parking is $20/day. I was also able to arrange a late checkout.

Lobby area is trendy, modern and chic. Cool music is playing in the lobby and there are several places to lounge, meet or relax. There is a pool table, bar and meeting room on the lobby level. There is no hotel restaurant, but the hotel is attached to an outdoor walking mall that has several dining options. At least one restaurant will deliver to the hotel. There is a area by the lobby where you can purchase snacks and beverages.

Rooms - I stayed on the 15th floor and had a view of the area. The room was quite clean, comfortable and the decor is very modern and trendy which matches the remaider of the hotel. The bed was comfortable and there is a small refridgerator in the room along with the usual amenities. High speed internet is available along with to hook up videos to the TV. No Ipod dock though.
I was able to work comfortably from my room and it was not noisy as I read in one post.

I combined business with pleasure and attended a concert at the Time Warner Cable arena during my stay. It was a short walk from the hotel in heels and I would recommend this location if you plan to go to Charlotte to attend an event at the arena.

Bar - Full bar in the evenings beginning around 5 PM durinbg the week. I am not certain about the hours on the weekends. Great bar and the music cranks up in the evenings. Nice place to hang out and I can forsee the hotel attracing a nice afterwork crowd for happy hour.

Overall, a pleasant experience and I would recommend this hotel as well as visit again. I would also try another Aloft in a different city. This was my first Aloft experience. It was a great value as well-booked through Priceline.

No photos this trip, sorry. It was a business trip, so I did not take the camera.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 8, 2009

What a great boutique hotel! Aloft is a new concept in hotels by the W. The hotel lobby is not on the ground floor, so after parking in the garage below, we took and elevator up to check-in. Upon entering the lobby, there is a nice scent throughout and hip music playing. The people at check-in couldn't have been any nicer. I grabbed a milk out of their grab-and-go styled food and drink area and they just added it to our bill. The rooms are very nicely laid out, great use of space. The design is contemporary and clean. They even use Bliss spa products! We hung out at the lobby bar that evening and had a great time. They even have an indoor pool with fantastic views. This is now my favorite hotel in Charlotte!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I got an unreal deal on this hotel through Priceline so I was pretty much willing to deal with a lot. When we arrived, I couldn't believe how hip and neat this hotel was. The hotel is in a great location with a lot going on around it. It was loud outside at night but we couldn't hear anything in our room. And we were just steps away from any kind of food, drink and entertainment we could want. The room had a great view and very streamlined feel to it. The bed was so comfortable- we got a great night's sleep. The only complaint I have is the parking situation. Be prepared to pay $20 a night for the garage.
Overall we really enjoyed our experience and will look for this chain in future cities.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Location: 5 stars
Epi center in uptown charlotte.

Service: very good
The management team are excellent.

Rooms: 3 stars, comfortable, clean, trendy and modern: BUT NOISY
1. King bed is COMFORTABLE. Good night sleep. Very excellent
2. AC: powerful and effective
3. Amenties: Excellent: bottle water every day, iron, coffee maker, empty fridge
4. It is VERY NOISY.... here is why: there is no way on earth to shut down the AC unit. There is an off position but that will not shut down the FAN. And the FAN is very noisy. All my co-workers complained about the same exact thing.
5. there is no break for the business traveller: The music is playing in the lobby and even in the elevator.

Breakfast: there are some snacks you can buy. but there is no hot or buffer breakfast offered.

Value: It is good

This hotel can do few things to improve itself:

1) Lower music in lobby.
2) More importantly, allow for complete shut down of the AC units so guests can actually sleep after a long day of work. (this is the most important one)
3) Better isolation from the outside noise

Overall, I recommend this hotel and definitely I recommend it over the Holiday Inn

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AmericanInTheWorld
Fayetteville, N.C.,USA
Reviewed September 15, 2009

My son booked us overnight, Saturday September 12, 2009 at the Aloft. Reminded me of Copenhagen, Denmark. Very modern! Staying here was a treat. The staff was very nice! My family went to Carolina Panthers game but I waited at the hotel. Staff was very friendly! Definitely in the heart of everything.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family