“Fun experience”

Ranked #81 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Rochester, New York
“Fun experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We came here for a work meeting. It is in the blooming Epicenter of Charlotte, NC. It is a little confusing to find your way around the area but there are plenty of kind "southern hospitality' people out there to ask!
It is a very modern hotel- the rooms are like a loft. The views from my room were great- city views from the 12th floor.
The exercise amenities were ok- not enough equipment. The food was very good for our meeting also- they have a 'snack bar' area. You can get snacks throughout the day and even order food in this area- a little high priced- but convenient.
There are MANY restaurants within the epicenter- however if you are looking for shopping- there really isn't anything in the area.

I would stay here again because it was convenient for a business conference.

Room Tip: I was on a corner room- great views- just be aware that if you do not put the shades down- people CA...
Green Features: They will award you if you put a tag on the door to not change the sheets/towels during your stay. I received a $5 credit because we were only there a couple of nights!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
usa
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I really hate having to write this review, because generally I am a huge fan of Aloft. I have been to Aloft in several cities and 2 different countries, and I have always been happy. Unfortunately this Aloft fell short of expectations. In fairness, some of these issues are within the hotel's control, and others are not, but as guests we are impacted by them regardless so I will just summarize them here.

1. Parking is a complete nightmare, and it costs $20/night. This fee is NOT validated, so tack it on to your room rate. This property is attached to the EpiCenter parking deck. The EpiCenter parking deck elevators only go down to the top 2 floors of the parking deck. So if you have luggage and aren't exactly sure where you are going, it is a very frustrating experience. If you were unlucky enough to park on the floors where the elevator does not go then you will need to lug your luggage up the stairs.

2. The elevators are extremely slow in the parking deck. This means that once you finally get up to the elevator, you could stand in line for another 15 minutes waiting to get on. And of course, the elevator will be crowded. There are signs outside of the elevator reminding guests that the elevator only holds 10 people and could get stuck if you cram more than 10 people inside. Fair warning, but this means you wait even longer in a hot, humid, stinky parking deck.

3. EXTREME NOISE at night: The evening I stayed at this property, there were people screaming in the hallways, sirens blaring outside, very loud music playing downstairs, and the air conditioner kept kicking on randomly, even though I had it set to continuous on vs. auto. The air conditioner whirred so loudly that it vibrated the entire room.

4. Very thin, worn sheets and bedding: In the past I have slept wonderfully at Aloft and I have found the beds to be extremely comfortable. I don't know how they furnished this one, but the mattress was very flat and the sheets were see-through thin. Literally it was like cheap-motel quality. Very disappointing for a Starwood hotel. I could not get comfortable in this bed, and this combined with the noise made for a very bad night of sleep.

5. Cleanliness is questionable on the elevator and in public areas. Due to the fact that there are a lot of bars and evening activities at the EpiCenter, there are things spilled in the elevator and it doesn't appear to be mopped all that often.

Overall I still like the Aloft brand and I'm still a loyal SPG Gold member but I cannot recommend this particular location. The Aloft in Ballantyne is less expensive but it is on the outskirts of town. I will probably choose that location the next time I am in Charlotte.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank number5alive

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Great location, walking distance anywhere in Uptown. Lots of bars and entertainment right outside the door. Nice, modern room, big windows with nice view (mine from the 11th floor). Good coffee machine with free drinks in the morning.

On the flip side, it wasn't immediately obvious how to get there from the street. The internet was veeeery sloooooow. Some of the breakfast choices were way to small for their price (hint - go for the breakfast sandwiches, they seem to be of better value). Those big windows came with pretty cheap blinds, both of which broke.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Either you like the Aloft concept or you don't, it works for you or it doesn't. If you understand what the concept is, this is a great Aloft. It is a well-maintained, high service level Aloft that is incredibly conveniently located. If you arrive by plane, there is a local city bus whose terminus is 3 minutes from the hotel. If all you're doing is going to a show at the Time Warner Arena, don't bother with a car. (The down side of the area: parking is expensive by any standard). Ask for a room facing the back if you're concerned about noise--although the hotel is elevated above the mall (the lobby is on the fifth floor), the adjoining mall has a LOT of live music at nights. There is also just about every kind of restaurant you could want, including a 5 Guys that is open until 3am on the weekends. Just down the street a short walk is Mert's Heart and Soul, well worth a detour for breakfast or lunch especially.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you are concerned about noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Westchester, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I spent one night at the Aloft Charlotte Uptown at EpiCentre while traveling to Charlotte on business. The location couldn't be better - in the heart of downtown and walking distance to many sights and landmarks. Although I loved the location, I was somewhat surprised by the room itself, although it turned out to be a comfortable enough stay.

First, it's not very easy to find - when the cab dropped me off, I thought I was in the wrong place. A small door takes you to an elevator, which in turn takes you to the 5th floor where the lobby is. The lobby looks like the lobby of a college dorm - sleek but not very fancy, and this should have been my first clue that this was not a traditional lodging experience. The two gentlemen at the circular (and ultra modern) front desk tried to check me in, but due to computer problems it took them about 10 minutes to do it. While they were very friendly and courteous, I was in a bit of a hurry to get to a meeting and felt inconvenienced. They were apologetic and without my asking reduced the price of the room by $20 for my inconvenience.

When I arrived upstairs and opened the door to my room, I was quite surprised. The room had the furnishings of a college dorm room. The bed was large and shower and bathroom area modern, but I was really surprised by the other furnishings of the room. The desk was plain wood - it looked my son's college dorm desk, and there were no dresser with drawers for storing clothing. Rather, there were square "cubbies" - sort of what I'd experienced in grade school. And when I went to hang up my suit, the "closet" was a recessed area with a hanging dowel, with a shower curtain type of partition - no closet door. That was a new one on me.

Frankly, the decor was like no hotel room I'd ever seen, having spent a lifetime traveling among the major chains. The room was clean, had a huge TV and a lovely view through large picture windows - it just felt like I was in college. I am a Starwood Gold Member, and was so surprised I went downstairs to see if I could get an upgrade, but they very politely told me all the rooms in the hotel were "standard" rooms and that yes, all the rooms had shower curtain- like partitions instead of closet doors.

I decided to stay the night - the bed was large and comfortable and the shower was excellent. I was gone early in the AM. They ordered me a cab because I was leaving early and called the room in the morning to tell me it had arrived. Everyone was friendly and courteous and overall the stay was fine. I guess my review would be that if you get a good deal for the price and don't mind the college dorm room feel, the location is excellent and the staff was friendly. It wasn't what I was expecting for business travel - but I got a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: I'm told they are all the same!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Morrisville, North Carolina
Reviewed April 28, 2014

It reminding me of a loft style New York apartment....originally from NY, but living in Morrisville, NC for the past 3.5 years. We chose this hotel because of the great price and location. We were very pleased with our room, the cleanliness of the hotel and the location you can not beat.....everything was right there or within close proximity. We would definitely stay again. The room was a little small, but it had everything we needed. The only thing I would change would be to add a comfy chair to watch TV, I do not watch TV in bed, so I had to use the desk chair and that was not meant for that, so it was not the most comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lake Lure, North Carolina
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at Aloft overnight after going to Charlotte for a Blumenthal performance. Chosen for its proximity to the theaters downtown, we were impressed by the modern interior of the room - particularly the wonderful shower. The bed was amazing. The point deduction is mostly personal taste, as the modern interior of the room, although ingenious in choices and design, seemed a bit stark and cold...rather like an upscale dorm room. The young staff were polite, although not warm. We'll choose a different hotel for our next trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple