“Good but not Great”

Ranked #84 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh
“Good but not Great”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Typical Aloft hotel. Small but well organized rooms, comfy beds, free in room wifi, bottled water and coffee with Bliss bath amenities. Hotel lacked the usual "wow" service I have experienced at other Westin, W and Aloft hotels. Staff was adequate but added nothing to our stay. Unusual for Starwood properties which are usually outstanding. (Staff was usually watching tv when we came to from desk, volume and all.) Hotel needed a good once over for minor repair and cleaning. Hard to find as there is not much signage. Little "shop" for food etc was nice. Comfy bed, extra pillow in room, good AC. Still a good stay but not as nice as others in this hotel family and Aloft chain. Many restaurants in walking distance. Hotel does NOT validate parking (which was surprising and probably a needed change) but will Valet for basically more than parking yourself. I read this on a sign, no one offered though. A good hotel. You can enjoy your stay here but it's not up to Starwood standard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was kind of excited when I decided to book a room at the Aloft Charlotte Epicentre. Not overl but just enough... It also helped that I got a really fantastic deal - book more than one night & get 40% off the second night, a total of $206.40 before taxes - Not bad at all!
I'd heard it was difficult to locate the Aloft Hotel but I did not experience any problems whatsoever. Checking in was the breeze even though I arrived early at 1 PM. N.B. the lobby smells absolutely fantastic!
I had read previous reviews about noise & the Aloft being a party hotel so I specifically requested a room on the highest possible floor (15th floor) on the other side and my request was granted without any hesitation.
The room is very spacious and looks as fantastic as the website photos and everything is very thoughtfully laid out e.g. The 42 inch TV's place dead centre directly in front of the bed, And to sleep on said bed is a totally divine experience. There is a mirror door for privacy in the bathroom and the water pressure is also quite good..
A fabulous base from which to explore downtown Charlotte . I was extremely impressed.
In essence, this is value for money done right so take a bow Aloft hotel! ! All other hotel chains take note ...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jeremy G, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hi TeddyN,

Thank you for staying at Aloft! We’re so happy to hear you had such a positive experience. It is great you found our hotel easily and the check in process went smoothly. We are also happy that you enjoyed the spacious room, bed and TV.

Once again, thank you for your trip to our hotel – we hope to see you next time you’re in Charlotte!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed here while in town for my step-brothers wedding. It's a very modern hotel - with nice room layouts and fantastic big screen TVs. It offers super bath products, and I really like that they offered magazines in the rooms (not just information on the city magazines, but like national geographic and Dwell.) It's located in a very busy part of the city (the epicenter - not my thing, but if you're young and single then maybe if could work.) I only have a few "complaints," in that they're not big enough to make me not want to stay here again. The check-in process (my train was super late due to a monsoon like storm- and I didn't arrive until like 11pm) there was a massive line at the registration desk - which is pretty much in the middle of the bar - and the last thing I wanted to do was wait around for 25 minutes (no joke, 25 minutes!) to get a room key. The other item, which isnt a big deal but something I always look for when booking a hotel is room service. They don't offer it late night. Sad. So I ordered a pizza at the bar and took it up to my room along with my bourbon and watched a movie on my big screen. Made me feel like home. Ha.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy G, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hi Manwald,

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are glad you liked the big screen TV and in-room magazines. We apologize for the inconvenience during check in. Because the Aloft Charlotte Uptown is a Starwood Specialty Select Brand property, we are unable to offer all the services that you may find in a full service hotel, such as 24 hour room service. We do have re:fuel, our grab-n-go gourmet eatery, that is open 24-7.

We hope you enjoyed the wedding, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have stayed at this location several times. It is a great place for an overnight stay in Charlotte, when taking in a concert or sporting event. It is located in the Epicentre with plenty of options for nightlife, food and entertainment. The Time Warner Arena is across the street and Bank of America Stadium is an easy 15 minute walk from the hotel.

This hotel can tend to be very crowded and loud. With all the bars and nightclubs in the epicentre, you definitely want a room on a high floor, especially the weekends. There can also be lengthy waits for elevators both in the hotel to the rooms and the second elevator bank from the lobby to the street and parking garage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy G, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hi Lv2CtheWorld,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your several trips to Charlotte and for letting us know about your experiences at Aloft Charlotte Uptown. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed our location accessibility to nightlife, food and entertainment.

Once again, thank you choosing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Milton, Georgia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times with my wife for business and sports events. It is a great location that is close walking to a number of great restaurants. The front desk is ALWAYS well staffed and very good with the guests. I was shocked at how this particular location has changed in the last 8 months since I stayed here. And the rates have gone up significantly.

The parking can be difficult on the weekends because you must park in the Epicentre parking lot, and they charge $20.00 a day for the parking, which is gouging people but you have no choice, so just be prepared to pay and move on.

I have reviewed this hotel before and gave it good marks, but I am re-reviewing it because during the latest stay I was very disappointed with the state of the hotel. The carpets in the halls on my floor were absolutely filthy, there was trash all over them. The sink at my room was also not clean, there was hair and stains all over it. The walls in the hall are scuffed badly and the carpet is getting worn in places.

For a hotel that charges 220+ a night, the condition of the halls and rooms is not acceptable at all. But for the proximity to other locations, I would stay elsewhere and if it doesnt improve at my next stay in Sept, I will be moving to the Omni or the Westin. I expect this type of treatment from a Marriott property, where the motto is gouge, charge, cheat and steal from guests, but I have come to expect more from a Starwoods property. Until now. Raising the rates yet lowering the quality of the hotel is a very arrogant way to treat loyal guests like myself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jeremy G, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hi manu4t,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding the hotel. The concerns you mentioned are being reviewed with the housekeeping and engineering teams to both remedy the issues you reported and to ensure that your next visit is more consistent with what you've come to expect from the Aloft. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed on a Sat. night with our small dog.

The Aloft hotels have a great pet policy but I would not consider this hotel pet friendly. It is loud and crowded with no place to walk your dog.

The location is close to bars and restaurants but it is pretty clear this hotel is "the party hotel". It even felt like we were checking in at a club. We saw numerous bachelorette party groups. The party lasts all night long....with the added bonus of drunk people in the halls waking you up.

Our room was small with an uncomfortable bed. We personally are not fans of Aloft's decor. The bathroom is awkward. There is a lot of street noise easily heard in the room.

We used the parking garage rather then valet. It worked for us because we didn't leave until checkout but it could be a problem because the garage filled up quickly and you pay each time you use it. It's not marked clearly as hotel parking.

• Stayed August 2013
Jeremy G, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear JBHatfield,

Thanks so much for your recent stay at our Aloft hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your experience with us and that there were noise disturbance during your stay. It is our goal to exceed expectations for every guest, and we are sorry that we did not in this case.

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels

Cleveland, OH
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel was pretty forgettable to me and definitely not one I would go back to when I return to Charlotte again. I thought I would try the downtown EpiCentre area but this would not be my choice if I went again. First, it is poorly marked if you are driving there yourself...which I was from a meeting in a rental car so trying to figure out which side of the massive area it was on was a little confusing. Second, the rooms are tiny and have zero amentities. You literally have to go get ice from the bar in the lobby. Everything is out of the lobby area...just snacks and a bar. If you are looking to go out in the area then that's cool but when you arrive mid-afternoon and just want a soda or something in your room while you unpack it seems annoying to tromp down to the bar. Third, the sleep quality is awful. The bed is fine but the noise in the area is no good. Maybe because it was a Friday night but even that high up you still hear traffic and all the people and everything going on down below until way into the night. On the plus it was clean and the check in and out was easy enough but for the price this was not that great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business