“Superb location, new hotel, endless options”

Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
Ranked #84 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Hartford, CT
“Superb location, new hotel, endless options”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my first stay at this location, as I normally stay at the Westin Charlotte when I am in town on business. However, it is comforting to know that an excellent property exists just a few blocks down the road. The best thing going for this hotel (besides the fact that it is new) is its location. It is smack-dab in the middle of the EpiCentre, so you are surrounded by restaurants, shops, etc - enough to keep one busy for days. It is very easy to move around the area, and you are in a great spot in downtown, with lots of additional things to do within a short walk. Parking can be a bit of a pain as you need to utilize a shared garage, but aside from that, an excellent property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
LindseyVDK, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello hegartnw,
We're happy you enjoyed staying with Aloft on your recent trip to Charlotte! We do have a fantastic and convenient location right in the heart of Uptown Charlotte, and are glad you gave us a try! We hope to see you again next time you're in town.

Thanks for your comments!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
South Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The A loft, much like the W hotels is just up my alley. The attention to detail is outstanding. From the moment you arrive in the lobby you are greeted by a fresh scent that sets the tone for your stay. Rooms are clean and modern. Hotel staff is very nice and courteous. Bar and Billiards table is fun as well. The only knock on this hotel is how long the elevator takes to arrive from the main floor. Aside from that we've stayed here over 6X and have never been disappointed. Very close to the basketball arena and plenty of restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank canefan05
Hi canefan05!
Thanks for allowing us to host you on your special day, and for sharing this great feedback! We're thrilled to hear that our location, service and amenities keep you coming back, and we hope to see you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed overnight in this boutique hotel that styles itself somewhat as a hipsterish, modern minimalist, urban hotel. Amazingly it's part of a very large chain of 60+ hotels around the world. I say amazing because the service and amenities were excellent, which isn't always the case with large chains, especially ones focused around airports as this chain is. Based on the other hotels around in which I've stayed, I would return here in a heartbeat.

Pros: The hotel is in a fantastic location, including being connected by covered walkway to the financial center businesses, as well as right in the heart of the EpiCenter and across the street (effectively) from the arena. Staff here were excellent! Very well trained and focused on customer needs even before you might realize it. To wit, as soon as I checked in, the front desk staffer asked me whether I might need a black car to take me back to the airport the next day. (As the price to the airport is the same as any cab, the answer is always yes.) Well, the person they put me in touch with provided excellent service. The front desk also asked me whether I needed this or that, and were more than accommodating with my room request. The lobby had a very well stocked store (incl. a poker set!) with very reasonable prices (shocking, I know). The room itself was styled on european minimalism, which may or may not be to some people's taste (but is to mine). It had all the amenities, just sometimes hidden in niches you had to find (like the iron and board, which I never would have found had I been looking for them). Even the fridge was in an odd spot. I was high enough up that I had a great nighttime view. Since I faced the noisy EpiCenter, I was pleasantly surprised that I had virtually no noise that interrupted my sleep. Can't say that for the Omni or Hyatt. The pillows were wonderfully soft. And finally, the gym is open 24 hours(!) and was amply equipped for cardio, weights, and isometrics. I had a great workout here.

Cons: Hipsterish and financial center don't quite jive, and this was evident in the muzak in the entry foyer to the hotel. That certainly wasn't good house or techno that I heard walking in. If the pillows were soft, the bed was definitely on the harder side, and the towels were a bit rough, a bit more in keeping with what I'm used to when I'm overseas. In keeping with the minimalist furniture, there were no drawers, only a few cubbyholes, which to my mind signals that this isn't a place for along stay (say, > a week). The rainshower was unfortunately on the weaker side, and the sink was placed on the left, right next to a partition, making things like shaving a bit more difficult for a left-hander like myself.

Overall, I rather enjoyed this rather different hotel from the American norm, and as I said at the top will stay here again on trips in town.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side overlook the Epicenter but are still quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BlueWindez
Hello BlueWindez,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share these great comments about your recent Aloft stay! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay, and our unique style. We pride ourselves on delivering great service, and are happy that's what you experienced. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Charlotte!
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the aLoft Uptown at the Epicentre last weekend - very friendly staff, extremely accommodating, and we were very impressed with the style, cleanliness and amentities - really awesome for a select service W hotel!! Their bar is amazing, and decor and lobby really sleek and comfortable. Snack shop has plenty and the room rate was affordable. Over and above that, the location cannot be beat!!! You are right in the middle of the epicentre! Shops, restaurants, CVS, breakfast spots - whatever you need is a few floors down off the elevator. Staff is is extremely kind, helpful and went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. Everyone at this hotel was in a good mood and enjoying themselves. The views are great and once again - YOU CAN'T BEAT THE LOCATION!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Markham, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Aloft hotel has all the ingredients for a great hotel. Staff are very helpful and informed. I wanted to mail some postcards from Charlotte. Fortunately there were some nice ones at the front desk, so i asked 'how much ?". Answer : "Free". So i filled a couple out and asked if they ahd stamps so i could mail them. "Sure, we'll take care of it". What a great way to serve your customers. Sheraton NYC did not even had stamps at the concierge (which is a no brainer at most hotels).

Rooms are well appointed and clean.. The only thing lacking at the hotel is a good breakfast area. there is a little shop where you can buy cold muffins, danishes etc and coffee. However, the hotel is at the epicentre, which does have a very good selection of restaurants. Also you need to take 2 lifts to get to your room. there is a lift that gets you from street level to the lobby, and then another from the lobby to your room. minor irritation, unless you have to be in and out all day.
Beware - if there are concerts going on at the epi, it can get noisy so get a room on higher floors and facing away from the epicentre. Also if there is a game/concert at the arena nearby, all the restaurants tend to have very long lineups and get full.
The hotel is a short walk to most financial institutions in Charlotte - convenient if you are there on business.

Room Tip: face away from the epicentre and high floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank naeemsiddiqi
Jimaloft, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear naeemsiddiqi,
Thank you for your kind words! Our talent strives hard to impress each and every guest so it's nice to read of how a simple token of our appreciation, a free post card and stamp, can resonate so well. It's appreciative guests such as yourself that make this career a rewarding one. Thank you for choosing Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre!
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was adequate. Clean and functional. Very minimal, desk and hard chair no couch, love seat, etc. No closet, truly as cheap and minimal as you can possibly get but no issues. The staff however is outstanding. From the minute
I checked in to the minute I checked out everyone was pleasant, helpful and went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Zoeboaat,
Thank you for your mention of great and outstanding service! I believe that above all else that a hotel can provide, a team of engaged friendly folks is the most critical. As for the hotel design and furnishings, we understand that the minimalist environment does not resonate with everyone. I am sorry if our concept took away form a generally positive experience. I do hope that the service engagement you experienced will be a reason for a follow up visit to us.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Do not use your BANKAND CARD. They claim their computes had a gitch and put 2 holds on my account. They fixed that then charged me twice for my stay 481 twice. Mymoney credited back to my accountys after I was home. The manager nevercalled medirectly, in fact I had to call the hotel and they would not give me the regional manages info. They just did not care and provided poor customer srvice in dealing with this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank queenk75
Dear queenk75,
Please accept my sincere apology for the challenges you experienced relative to your bank card. It is our intention to minimize your concerns on the road, not add to them. Our talent worked promptly to remedy your situation, and I am pleased that it was fixed quickly. I hope you provide us another opportunity to serve you and demonstrate a level of service you expect for a brand such as Aloft.
Jim Williams

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels