“Good Concept, Poor Execution”

Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
Ranked #84 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh, NC
“Good Concept, Poor Execution”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Love the concept of a modern hotel (I live in a modern house and hate "frilly" decorating), but some of the details are preventing this hotel from being great.

PROs:
1. Modern decor in the lobby and the room
2. Nice room layout makes a not so big room feel big enough
3. Box on desk connects your laptop to the TV.
4. Free wireless
5. There was a nice bag of snacks on the desk when I entered the room and a note saying that I was the "guest of the day."
6. Lots of options nearby for meals and entertainment.

CONs:
1. The hotel address is listed as East Trade Street but the sign and entrance is on South College Street. This made the hotel difficult to find while driving on one-way streets in rush-hour traffic.
2. The lobby is up on the 5th floor. The elevator up to the lobby is REALLY slow. I waited about 10 minutes each time I wanted to go up or down.
3. Based on other reviews here, I asked for a higher floor to avoid traffic noise. I was given a room on the 9th floor. (The highest floor is 14.) This apparently was not high enough -- the room was really noisy all night long from street traffic, making it very difficult to sleep.
4. Service at the WXYZ bar was slow.

Overall, not a bad hotel, but not great. I was hoping to really like this one, but I think you can find better in Charlotte.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs -- I don't think there is a quiet room in this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Came in for a one night stay with family......Nothing really great to say. It was okay.. The main inconvenient that we dealt with was our luggage. It is a pain to haul all of your bags from curb site to an elevator that takes you up to the 5th floor. Then after check in you have to take another elevator up to your room. Checked in the evening of 8/12 and was greated by a young lady who was very nice. Later I came down back to the desk to ask a question about dinner and there was a young man who wasn't as friendly. But overall it was your typical W Hotel. Don't know if I would come back again. If it matters I am a frequent traveler and prefer SPG......

Room Tip: They only have one suite..............No Club floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jimaloft, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Sllray0524,
Thank you for your honest feedback. While I am encouraged by the scores you gave us for such things as overall cleanliness, I am disappointed that the elevators tarnished your opinion. One down side to our incredible location is that we are foreced to share elevators with a vibrant entertainment complex. This can tend to result in a slightly longer wait and increased traffic. To combat the inefficiency of the elevators our talent works hard to provide exceptional front-line service. I do hope for another opportunity of serving you in the future.
Jim Williams

Travelers are raving about these Charlotte hotels

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have yet to have a bad stay at an Aloft .. We were given an accessible room because of the late reservation. It was clean, well kept, and the view was great! I attached pictures to show what the room looked like. It was definitely worth the $97 (plus valet parking , so approximately $130) .. Great stay!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Jimaloft, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Smarie_21,
What a pleasure to read comments from a raving fan! our talent works hard each and every day to ensure an unparallelled level of service. I'm happy that you appreciated the cleanliness and friendliness!
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I recently stayed at the Aloft Charlotte Uptown... A standard Aloft experience, decent rate, clean room. WXYZ bar is nice and convenient. All in all, a great stay. Staff was a little, let's say, informal. Other than that, wonderful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Paul Y,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre! I am happy to read of your opinion that we a re a great place to stay. Regarding the "casualness" of our talent, I will certainly address any area that may be lacking, but hope you understand the general concept of great service in a casual environment. I hope we have another opportunity of serving you again soon.
Boynton Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Aloft is a great business hotel. This trendy hotel has a great lobby for business meetings. The rooms are also oriented to the business traveler. The pool table is a great idea to unwind after a busy day. We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: We always request a room away from elevators and away from ice machines.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank snowflake711
Dear Snowflake711,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre! Initially I was concerned about your scoring (1), but quickly realized that you must have meant #1! We'll gladly take it! Please feel free to contact us regarding a future stay.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

As a SPG Platinum Member for Life, I have stayed in more hotels than most people. This was my first Aloft experience and really enjoyed the service, room decor, lobby lounge concept, and value for this property. As I have very high standards, I can truly recommend this property to others. Good job!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jimaloft, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Steve M.
WOW! As a Platinum Member for Life, your comments are even more appreciated. I am happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. If ever back in Charlotte, please call us in advance and let us prepare something special for your arrival. Your business is greatly appreciated!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Honestly, I wasn't very familiar with Aloft before staying here. This is not your traditional hotel. Let me start by saying the staff was wonderful! The rooms are ultra modern--cheap materials though. The beds are sit lower to the floor, so it's somewhat awkward if you are tall. The TV's are wall-mounted but the placement isn't always ideal. Space is maximized. I looked for the ironing board forever before I realized it was behind the headboard. The bathrooms were clean, but hot water can be an issue if everyone seems to be starting the day at the same time. Parking wasn't a big deal for me. I was able to walk where I needed to go. There are plenty of reasonably priced places to eat nearby, so it is a great value if you are ok with the modern setup.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Mizbizc,
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to read of your great experience at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre. We often talk to guests about the differences between us and the "typical" hotels and those folks that "get us" are quickly becoming our most loyal guests. Our team will continue striving toward perfromance at a level worthy of that loyalty.