“Bedbugs Abundant”

Ranked #83 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
savannah
“Bedbugs Abundant”
Reviewed November 30, 2009

All was going well until the pustules appeared all over my torso!! They were painful and itchy not to mention disgusting!!! To make matters worse, the "manager" said they did not have bedbugs. My doc and the images of my back do not concur.

Business Traveler Beware! Spend your money on a non-infested bed and where but here...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank skiaustria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Beautiful rooms, great people, but the rooms in the carriage house have walls of paper. I heard every word the people in the adjoining room said, and they were just having a normal conversation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank sleeper_24601
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 22, 2009

English country house meets urban Southern charm in this elegant, early 20th-century mansion on a gracious boulevard in Charlotte's historic Dilworth neighborhood.
Bigger (with eight rooms in the principal building plus four in the carriage house and one additional 'veranda room') and more polished than the average American B and B, the Morehead Inn nevertheless has a warm and relaxed ambience. Though the entire house is furnished in antiques, and the decor is authentic to the style of the house and the period, there's no sense of 'Look, but Don't Touch.' This is the real deal, sensitively appointed and comfortable-- the flowers are genuine, there is no pretentious fakery or froufrou anywhere.

The bedrooms are named after streets in the neighborhood. They vary a fair amount in size and price, from cozy (the Arosa, the Dilworth, the Berkeley) to spectacular (the Euclid, the Cleveland, and the splendid Solarium suite on the first floor.)
The public rooms in the house are lovely, too--- airy, elegant, and big enough for large ceremonial occasions, such as weddings and receptions. Check out my photos for ample evidence of this fact.

The neighborhood itself is a great place to walk in and explore, by the way. I try to do an hour-long power walk during each of my visits to the inn, and I'm always charmed by the turn of the century bungalows and larger houses that comprise the Dilworth area.

On the one hand, my experience with the Morehead Inn is atypical---sad and stressful family matters have taken me to Charlotte often over the past four years. On the other hand, my repeated visits to the Inn means that I know it well. I've stayed in most of the rooms. I've eaten its delicious, gourmet breakfasts, and I've been treated with respectful kindness by everyone on this well-run inn's staff, without exception.

To welcome sincerely, to be attentive without being intrusive, to offer a place of beauty and comfort for guests, this is true hospitality--- and it's what the Morehead Inn is all about.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vivianite
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed at the Morehead Inn for four nights, and my husband and I both agree that despite a few bumps, this inn was completely charming and lovely. We will definitely stay again in the future.

Pros:
1. Lovely, friendly staff who works to please their guests. Due to some unforeseen events, we required some accommodations and Linda made sure that we were able to get what we needed.
2. Breakfast- you choose one of three options every day. There was a larger group which made special requests almost every day and Linda and her staff went out of their way to accommodate them (buying special drinks, condiments, etc.). They never got flustered.
3. Beautiful setting- the house and the surrounding neighborhood is beautiful, safe, and interesting (restaurant recommendations by the Inn were great). Easy to park on the premises. Close to downtown, museums, and other sightseeing areas. Lots of shops/supermarkets in the area, too.
4. Clean bathrooms- though the home is old and historic, the bathrooms were updated and well kept.
5. Free wi-fi- no problems with connection whatsoever.

Cons: nothing that would prevent us from staying again, but just so you know...
1. The rooms could use a bit of updating. Nothing major, but things like slightly dirty vents, worn chairs, slightly dusty furniture, worn pull strings for lamps and fans.
2. The Morehead folder stated that daily turndown service included chocolates and books. Neither of these ever materialized. However, turndown did include closing curtains/blinds, turning on lamps, and a weather card.
3. We happened to visit during a cold spell, and needed to use the space heater every night. The rooms were pretty cold (and we are from the Northeast), and we didn't have any other way to control the temperature.

We stayed in the Mt Vernon which we liked a lot (had a working fireplace). We also stayed in the Solarium for one night (not by our choice, but it was too late to change for the first night), which was less desirable for us. If you like wicker, the Solarium is for you. The tiled floor in the sitting room needed to be cleaned.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jadePhiladelphia
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We were completely taken with The Morehead Inn - it is an exceptionally beautiful house. Each guest room is well appointed and comfortable - we stayed in the Romney Room, one of the lower priced, and it was lovely with its own sitting room. Breakfast in the main dining room was wonderful. This is such an elegant house and the staff is exceptional. We would stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miamispike
charlotte, nc
Reviewed April 17, 2009

I have to say, after reading the other review on here about how "questionable" the staff motives are, I thought I had logged onto the wrong Inn. This Inn is just wonderful! The location is just outside the center of the city in a classy historic community. The rooms are clean and fresh and the staff is just as friendly as they can be. Our entire family is still talking about what a nice time they had there!

After some family health issues, our daughter finally had her wedding reception there and we could not have been more pleased. I say 'finally' because we had to delay a long-booked reception date as a result. The staff and owners were very accomodating in allowing us to move our reception date. I'm so sorry to hear about the issue the other person on here had, but like I said, we could not have had a more different experience. I can't help but think that there was more to it than has been shared on here, because with us they were prompt, kind and understanding and we will forever be grateful. And what a party!!

• Stayed February 2009
Charlotte
Reviewed January 7, 2009

For the general traveler, this is a beautiful small and quaint inn with a lot of charm. The rooms are very nice and the food is really very good. The atmosphere for breakfast is great. They have one big table and a few small tables for those who don't like mingling that early in the morning. If you are interested in weddings, you might learn from my mistake... Don't get me wrong, they are good at putting on weddings and receptions. They do them all the time. However, it would have been nicer if we had believed they actually cared about us beyond the investment we'd made to their wallets. The staff really made this a small nightmare for my family. My (now) husband and I had booked our wedding reception at Morehead Inn about a year and a half in advance, only to find out a few months later that my sister was dying to get married there too (and she'd planned her wedding for 7 months before ours!). Needless to say, we'd prefer not to have the exact same wedding experience as my sister, so we drew straws (so to speak) and decided we'd move our wedding reception to another location. When my sister called Morehead Inn to book her wedding reception, she asked if we could have my deposit applied to her reception. They put her off, saying they'd have to check with the owner and took her money to "secure" her date (they made her feel like she had to pay a deposit or someone else would snag her date and that we'd get all the details of applying money from my wedding to hers figured out at a later date). This all made sense to us since this was really a small request and we were STILL OVER A YEAR AWAY from my reserved wedding date... plenty of time for them to rebook the Inn for another wedding (at no loss to them). However, despite multiple requests from my mother and father to have the almost $2,000 deposit for my wedding reception applied to something (anything) toward my sister's wedding (food, rooms, anything), they never accommodated the request. They kept putting my mother off saying "we'll have to talk to this guy or that guy before we can make a decision." Before you knew it, it was too late to have any leverage with them... my sister was locked in to her wedding date, invitations were printed, food decisions were made, half her money was down for everything and the Morehead had no reason to try to work with us. I'm not even sure why I'm sharing this, but the experience was stressful for me, for my sister and for my parents. What were we to do? We were really between a rock and a hard place and we wanted this to be a nice experience for my sister. Why in the world would a top tier establishment be so unhelpful and rude? Are they greedy? Do they believe that money grows on trees? I don't know the motive (I did hear their business was struggling, so perhaps they needed to take my money to make ends meet), but I don't trust the integrity of the group. This wasn't exactly the example of "southern hospitality" that they claim to exude. To their credit, the wedding reception turned out to be very nice, but because of our experience with the business, we will not be returning.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — administrative staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple