“Tired, dirty place to stay”
Review of The Morehead Inn

The Morehead Inn
Ranked #95 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I don't usually take the time to review a place, good or bad. However, the Morehead Inn was very unsatisfactory. We made a last minute reservation while visiting Charlotte and thought it would be a nice place to stay. How wrong we were! The first room we were taken to was hot and musty smelling it was sickening. When we tried to put the AC on to move the air a bit, we realized the AC was not working. The front desk person said the AC was broken for that room…really, why did she put is in there?!! We were moved to a suite in an adjacent building that at least had AC to hide the musty smell. The room was very small and very dated. The bathroom was tiny and I did not feel like it was very clean. The TV in the bedroom was very small….like a computer screen but no worries….it did not come on anyway. The TV in the spacious sitting room did not work either. No lightbulb in one of the bedside lamps, a plastic cage around the AC controls, dim lighting, etc. The breakfast was marginal at best and not what I have experienced in a decent B & B. I would not recommend this to anybody unless the owners put some real money into it and update it, clean it, and make ir more inviting.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank kkjohnson

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and also spent the night after the wedding. The reception area for the wedding was so hot that all of the guests were complaining! I can't believe the staff/owners were not already aware how bad the temperature was going to be with little to no air conditioning. My tv in my room had a screen the size of a small computer monitor--17 inches (maybe). The remote didn't work and I had to keep answering my door while trying to get dressed for the wedding so that staff members could try to figure out why the remote would not work---only to find they had the wrong one for my tv. The desk next to my bed had books on it and it appeared that none of the area had been wiped down because it was very dusty.Small favor bags were set up on a table near the front desk for all of the guests to take home after the wedding---a giant roach crawled across the table in front of the guests.$180.00 for a room was absolutely outrageous for the service received. I would never go there again nor would I recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Frances D
Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you are thinking of having a business event here, think twice. The staff was ill prepared for our group, and argumentative when we asked for minor tweaks in the room setup--to accommodate the number of guests for which we reserved. Thankfully we arrived early before our guests and were able to insist on changes that made the room flow better. During our presentations someone was vacuuming in the room directly above us. The staff was dressed very causally--one even was wearing flip flops--not appropriate for a business event.
The décor is dated and the carpets worn---and there is a noticeable musty smell about the place.
It's a shame this historic place is not better taken care of.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Gnomesnob
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I booked this little B&B last minute just a few minutes from downtown Charlotte. From check in to checking out the service was great, super friendly, and incredibly helpful. My room was clean, spacious, and actually had the charm of a bed and breakfast that comes from a home and not just another multi-story hotel. I will definitely consider staying here again on my next visit to Charolette

Room Tip: If you like sleeping in a little later, I'd try to get a room on the north side to avoid the ear...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I chose the Morehead Inn rather quickly without a lot of research. My nephew was in a nearby hospital and I was more focused on him then a place to stay. My first clue should have been the website. It was difficult to navigate and I could never find any pictures of the guest rooms. But, again, I just needed a place to stay close to the hospital. When I first walked in, there was a prominent musty smell. Not very inviting to say the least. I basically dropped my things off and wnet right back to the hospital. When I got back that night I was able to get a better look at the room. The bathroom did not look like it had been cleaned from the last guest. There was hair everywhere and the toilet was dirty. The rug in the room was so stained that I did not feel comfortable even taking off my shoes. It really did not feel that they even cared about their guest's comfort. The kleenex was so rough it was like I was wiping my face with paper. There was a very tiny TV in the room but it was far from the bed. The way it was set up, the only place to watch it was from a chair. Both the chair and the couch were very uncomfortable. The bed is covered in plastic. I felt like a toddler sleeping on plastic in case I have an accident. I'm surprised I got any sleep but with all the stree over the last couple days I was able to sleep a little. The next morning for breakfast I had requested just fruit. I had to wait quite a while and when it was brought out it was just a very small bowl of three different fruits. You would think if I just asked for fruit I would have been given a little more then a small cup.

I generally don't write reviews but I was really compelled to write this one. I think if you are in the hospitality industry your first priorities should be cleanliness and comfort. It's obvious that those two things do not matter to the Morehead Inn. To be honest the only redeaming quality to the place was the kitty and the employees were nice and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Nikki D
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was traveling to Charlotte on business and when the chain hotels normally used by my company were all booked up, I was thrilled to have an excuse to stay at the charming Morehead Inn. From my initial phone reservation onward, I found the customer service and attention to detail were impeccable. I was given the Mt. Vernon room on the second floor. In addition to its generous scale, it has a sitting room off of it. What I valued the most was the Inn's incredible quiet. Carpeting throughout is a real boost in noise reduction, and they have clearly considered this. Additionally, the mattress was just perfect for a good night's sleep - not too soft or too hard. And the water pressure in the shower was terrific. Breakfast was generous and offered perhaps one of the best scones I have ever enjoyed - very light & flaky. I must especially compliment Philomenia on her friendly welcome to me at check-in, as well as her help in directing me on a nice walk through the lovely neighborhood of Dilworth, which the Morehead sits on the edge of. My biggest regret was that I only had one night to enjoy the Morehead Inn. I will definitely return at the first opportunity!

Room Tip: The Mt. Vernon room is a nice corner room on the second floor. Though one side faces the main road...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank littleatom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Located in a quiet neighborhood not far from downtown Charlotte. Friendly staff, great breakfast and service, and I had a room with a balcony. Breakfast ordered and prepared at the time you request. Served in the dining room. I enjoyed a scone, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice, and coffee. The quality and flavor of the food was a pleasant surprise and the service by staff an unexpected bonus. They really make you feel welcome and want you to enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Request a room with balcony if you enjoy relaxing outside and fresh air.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business