“Wedding Venue Review ....”
Review of The Morehead Inn

The Morehead Inn
Ranked #86 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed June 28, 2012

6.23.12
Stressful guest experience and I am sure the parents were upset but they put on brave faces. It was a shame. Not a place I would recommend for a wedding and reception of over 60 people. They did not have enough staff for the 120 people.Tables not set up prior to wedding properly. No water glasses on the tables or toasting glasses on the tables so we toasted with whatever we had . Staff was probably part time staff just for the party .They were very nice and lovely but not enough for 120 people . Reused same chairs in and out of outside venue for inside dinner.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank S L
There are newer reviews for The Morehead Inn

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Having to be in Charlotte for my sister's surgery, I choose the Morehead for both its convenient location to the Medical Center and its intimate atmosphere for the week Philomena and Darrin could not have made my trip more pleasant. Each evening when I came back from the hospital they accommodated me in every way possible and comforted me with words of encouragement. I loved the rooms, and the breakfasts fortified me for long days at the hospital. I would highly recommend a stay at the Morehead Inn, nice facility and great people.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank WickWick
Reviewed May 18, 2012

The Morehead Inn is my go-to place to stay when I'm in Charlotte. It's so comfortable and the staff is so kind and welcoming. The breakfast is also 5-star. I consider it a good day when they're serving their pastry chef's scones = the best in the world!!!

Room Tip: The Dilworth and The Cleveland are my favorite standards but if I feel like splurging or I need a sp...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Erin G
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

This inn is in a great location. That is it's only perk. When you walk inside it smells of mildew, it's cluttered with knock knacks that your grandmother would have, and the service leaves a lot to be desired.

The rooms are old, warn down, and are in need of updating. The sitting area upstairs is odd and reminiscent of a funeral home. There are stains on the bedding and couches in our room abd as I type this we are not able to use our comforter because it looks as though it's never been washed.

There are so many lovely places to stay in Charlotte please don't make the mistake we did. The web site fools you!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank NATinSC
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a holiday trip. The Inn was decorated for Christmas and looked lovely. Our room (Romany) was quite nice with an old fashioned feel. It's not the newest place, I felt a bit like I was staying at my grandmother's but in a nice, homey, comfortable way. The breakfasts are really nice. The staff is wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luvs2Travel75
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I was told by good friends of ours that the Morehead Inn was a wonderful place to stay in Charlotte because of it's old-school Southern charm and style. The reality is that this is an Inn sadly in need of upgrading. For a hotel that touts itself as an upscale inn, I was disappointed when I came to see that the rooms are maybe a cut about the best Holiday Inn Express room with decor that evokes the feeling of my grandmother's house. Here's why:
-terrible pillows
-little space
-no closet
-no desk, which made using my laptop while pregnant impossible if not very uncomfortable
-tight bathroom
-conditioning shampoo instead of separate shampoo and conditioner--this is always a tell-tale sign to me that a hotel is not investing much in quality
-literally tattered/ripped drapes in the room
-dirty, old carpets
-cheesy lounge area outside of our room

But here's the real reason we will never return to stay at this hotel: When we booked our room 1-2 weeks before our trip to Charlotte, we were not informed of a wedding taking place in a room just below our room. At the time of booking, we were told that there was one other room in a different building available, and I would have either opted for that room or not stayed at the Inn altogether had I known about the wedding.

Being seven months pregnant, when we retired to our room after dinner, we were extremely annoyed at the noise level and the way our complaint was handled. The room was literally right under our room. The front desk person kept knocking on our door after 10 pm when we were not dressed just to apologize repeatedly for the situation, which he could have done over the phone, and to tell us that the wedding would be over by 10:30 pm. Well, he left out the part about cleaning. The cleaning of the room after the wedding was as loud if not more annoying than the wedding itself. We were forced to stay up 1-1.5 hours later then we expected. The front desk person's reparation was bringing breakfast to our room without charge--the hotel usually charges for this service. It was a nice attempt, but it was not appealing to eat breakfast in our tiny room with decor that does not stimulate my appetite. We felt that at the very least 50% off the room rate for the night of the wedding would have been appropriate. The front desk person said he was not able to offer that but would speak to the Guest Services Manager. I never received any follow-up from anyone before we checked out.

I called to speak with the Guest Services Manager a few days later after not hearing from her. She said she'd speak with management about the situation and get back to me within a few days. I didn't hear back from her. I called her and left her another message. I still didn't hear back from her. Three weeks later, I called her again, and she answered the phone and said that she was just about to call me. Sure (insert sarcasm). She informed me that management would make it up to us during our next stay. I'm sure management knew that there would be no next stay, but at least they could say to themselves that they had done something. At the end of the day, the hotel took zero responsibility for not having notified us at the time of booking that there would be a wedding the first night of our stay right below us. This is how the Inn management does customer service when you have a problem.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jencarak
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The Morehead Inn is simply a magical escape from the hustle and bustle of the everyday world tucked into a tree-lined street close to downtown Charlotte. My parents came to visit for my birthday and I knew the Morehead Inn was the only place I wanted them to be. Each staff member acted like the Morehead Inn was their personal home welcoming both my parents and myself to the inn. Not only do they want you to feel comfortable while staying at the Inn but also they go out of their way to make sure each guest and non-guest has everything they need to feel like home. I was so impressed with everything about the Morehead inn I plan on staying there myself, for a weekend get away, and I only live 5 minutes away!

Room Tip: Each room is so different, that you really need to try everyone. The staff will go out of their way...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family