“Best food i had in Charlotte”

Nakato Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #175 of 2,633 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mineral Springs
Reviewed June 14, 2012

food was excellent, chef was very entertaining. Made a change from the usual processed stuff.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

This is one of the best Japanese steakhouses I have had dinner at. They are accommodating and entertaining. You get a ton of food for your money and it is really tasty!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Good food, great dining experience but like most other japanese restaurants they were expensive.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

I went twice on a recent business trip, because the restaurant was next door to the hotel and most of the restaurants in the immediate area are chains. The first night I had sushi, which was very good and presented well, along with two excellent appetizers: squid tempura and beef short ribs. The second night I had a steak at the hibachi grill, with isn't really my thing, but I was in the mood for a steak. I'd give the sushi four stars and the steak three. The atmosphere was a little dead, though. The restaurant is huge and not very crowded.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Of course we have plenty of Japanese Steakhouses around, but Nakato's in Pineville is wonderful. We have been to this location 4 times in the last few months. The kids LOVE IT and the adults enjoy!

I have been told (and agree) that this is a GREAT 1st date place to go. You can interact with the chef or not, but it would help avoid any uncomfortable quiet moments, always something to comment or talk about.

Our kids from young to old enjoy it and it's their first pick for a restaurant.

Did you know you can share a plate? My daughter and I share the Teriyaki Chicken dish every time. I don't eat the shrimp or noodles they give to everyone, my daughter does not prefer the vegetables (so I get hers) and we just swap as the chef plates them.

The sauces are great and they even sell them to take home!

If it's your birthday, they will sing to you and bring a candle for the birthday person to blow out.

I do recommend ordering your steak a little more rare than you might normally order, because they do chop everything up rather small and it just seems that the food is cooked a bit on the well done side. (example: my friend who ALWAYS orders steaks well done, orders her's here "medium-well"). I hope that helps.

The only downfall might be that they do the same "tricks" that they have done for years now. Most of the time you can get a chef with a lot of personality, but I would like to see new tricks.

SOMETHING YOU NEED TO KNOW: I HIGHLY recommend reservations! And.. they only hold a reservation for 15 minutes... so EVERYONE in your party MUST be there to be seated. If "Uncle George" is meeting you at the restaurant and he is KNOWN for being late... give yourself a 15 min window and tell him the reservation is 15 minutes earlier than it actually is!

There is a small/medium sized bar area that you can order drinks and sit and wait. The kids love the Shirley Temples with cherries too!

Give it a try. I prefer it to the other Japanese Steakhouses in town... hands down!!! No question!

Let me know if this has been helpful...

2  Thank FlanFam