“Great Sunday brunch”

Customshop: Handcrafted Food
Reserve with OpenTable
Customshop: Handcrafted Food is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #263 of 2,354 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Elizabeth
Cross street: Travis
“Great Sunday brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

After a couple of just ok dinner experiences - mainly due to service issues - we decided to give Sunday brunch a try. We were the first ones there when they opened at 10:00, and we were still the only ones there when we left. Maybe that's why we had great service? Whatever the reason, I'll take it!

I've always loved the atmosphere - exposed brick, black and caramel booths/tables, cozy feel. For brunch, we were greeted with warm scones and hoisenberry jam. YUM. I got the marscapone and blueberry french toast ($12). I don't normally like a mouthful of whole blueberries, but these were warm and delicious, and the marscapone gave it just enough creaminess. I almost didn't even need the maple syrup. My fella got the eggs benedict ($12) and loved that the poached eggs weren't runny. It also came with prosciutto instead of canadian bacon, which was a neat twist, but they were a little stingy on the meat. I also need to give the coffee a special award; it was rich and delicious. Then again, it oughta be for $3.50.

I also need to point out the fantastic soundtrack. It's a nice start to the day to listen to Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash and The Allman Brothers. We'll definitely give dinner another chance soon and hope it lives up to brunch.

• Visited January 2013

Charlotte, NC
“Wonderful dinner and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Second visit to Customshop, was equally impressed as our first time last summer. Great restaurant for a "date night", very nice lighting and decorating. A little rustic, a little traditional, a little modern. Place is just the right size and gives you a "comfy" feel.

Service was great. Not pushy, but helfpful. Just enough interaction with our server. Made good suggestions on wine and food.

Food was very good. There is a clear focus on fresh, local ingredients and the attention to detail in our dishes was evident and the menu had numerous clever entree combinations. I had pumpkin gnocchi with venison sausage and was very impressed. Seasoned nicely, very fresh. We both commented that the menu seemed reasonably priced, especially given the hand made nature of the food.

All in all, Customshop is moving up our list of favorite restaurants in Charlotte. We'll visit again.

• Visited January 2013
“Even WE ate the carbs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I'm concerned there is no business on Tuesday nights but it's not because of the food! We've been twice in two weeks to test a variety of low carb dishes. It's a great "date" place. Clearly the chef knows the importance of a great combination of flavors. The lamb burger was yummy, tuna meatballs don't sound good but were great. Each dish we tried was an interesting combination of new-to-us ingredients with staples we liked. So this is a place many people will have to be adventurous.
The scallops and grapefruit is an example of a delicious pairing of flavors that is hard to find at most places.
The caramel ice cream bread dessert.. holy cow. Was inhaled and we don't even eat carbs!
They are proud of local and fresh products, I just enjoyed the dishes uniqueness.

• Visited November 2012
Columbia, SC
“High Hopes, but Great Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hometown newspaper food critic raved about Customshop:Handcrafted Food, and so we decided to head there. I'm not a big eater, so I knew I was in trouble when I saw my plate: 3 tiny little pieces of potato and 4 thin strips of carrot. Well, OK; anyway, it's the entree -- delectable Short Ribs -- that my meal was all about. Boy was I in for a surprise -- 95 percent fat, 5 percent meat. $24.00 plus tax; what a value! The restaurant makes a big deal about serving fresh, local items; I'd settle for a quality piece of meat flown in from Kansas City.

• Visited December 2012
Albany NY
“A great meal...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had a fantastic meal at the customshop last night. It is a little neighborhood place about a mile away from the Ritz Carlton. The menu is diverse, moderately priced and focused on fresh, local items. In fact, items are footnoted to their source. If you are a person who likes to know where your food is coming from, as I am, this is particularly appealing. As for dinner last night, I started with grilled octopus with fingerling potatoes and a preserved lemon compote. It was fantastic. The octopus was tender and perfectly grilled. The potatoes were sliced into tiny discs and crispy, and preserved lemons, bright and fresh...a delicious combination. Then I had their seared scallops. It was served with a succotash and pork belly. I asked for, and graciously received, a substitution of their local mushrooms. The scallops were seared till sweet and caramelized while still delightfully rare on the inside. It is nice to have a kitchen that knows how to cook fish well...and this kitchen clearly knows its way around fish! Go...you won't be disappointed.

• Visited October 2012