“one night at Charlotte”

Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University
Ranked #105 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Pet Friendly, really nice room, inside entry. Full suite with stove, microwave, fridge, sink. Comfortable queen size bed. Very clean. No free breakfast, no pool, or hot tub, but do have Exercise room. Price makes up for the no breakfast. A few miles from downtown. but nice area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Sara G, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a review! Any and all feedback is very important to us. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and we would love to have you back!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was one of the nicest rooms we stayed in on our trip, much nicer than I expected. The bed was comfortable, however the sleeper sofa mattress looked a bit thin, but the grand kids didn't mind.
The ice maker in the refrigerator worked well and we had plenty of ice. The internet also worked very well. I missed the free breakfast many places offer, but with the big kitchen, I guess you are expected to fix your own. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Sara G, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind feedback! We take all reviews, good or bad, very seriously. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how friendly the staff was!

Even though we went through the major renovation, the staff is still one of the things we pride ourselves the most on. Almost everyone has been here for 5 years or more and we all LOVE what we do!

If you ever return to Charlotte, let us know! We would be honored to have you back!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Although the staff was friendly, the accommondations were extremely poor.
1. I was not able to take a tub bath due to the fact the stopper was not working. I called the front desk and told the attendant on duty the problem. The attendant came to the room, looked at the tub and said oh, this is one of those stoppers you have to step on. Ok, I stepped on it and nothing happened. The next day she asked me if the stopper worked, I said no, then she said she would have someone to look it. No one came to look at it.
2.) The Ironing board was so dilapidated it would not stand up.
3.) The bottom sheet had lint balls on it ,so I slept on the top sheet. This was the first time I have ever seen lint balls on a hotel sheet. I took pictures of it.
I felt it would do no good to tell anyone because they would not respond. I will never stay at another Candlewood neither would I recommend this hotel. I will contact IHG also.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review. I want to personally let you know we take all feedback very seriously.

I am very sorry you did not have a satisfactory stay with us. I would like to know your room number so that I can make sure maintenance looks into the tub stopper right away. This as well as the balls on the sheets does need to be reported so that we can get it taken care of. When a guest reports a problem with the room, we absolutely tend to the matter and your sheets would have been replaced. That being said, approximately 60% of our rooms has completely new bedding, 500 threat count high quality sheets, a woven blanket and a coverlet. The new bedding is very fresh and clean and we are getting the final rooms completed ASAP. This is the only issue that was delayed on our massive $1.5 million renovation which I am sure you noticed.

Please do not hold this stay against all Candlewood's. This truly sounds like a few minor issues that could have been remedied immediately. I know you do not intend on staying with us again, but if you would be willing to give us another shot, I will gladly honor a complimentary night. Please contact me directly if you would like to book this.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The gym was horrible...mediocre equipment. No towels, or water, no weights. There was no remote. People let their pets just bark the entire time. Because it is suites, if you want towels, you need to get them yourself. The curtains didn't work and all you had were sheers. It is very close to unc charlotte, but not the city itself. there is nothing within walking distance...you need to drive everywhere...

Room Tip: I would ask not to be near a room that has pets...perhaps keep a floor for pets only...not mixed in...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us. We take all feedback very seriously and only want our guests to have a wonderful experience.

I apologize that the gym did not have the items you were looking for. It is standard for us to keep towels in there, but that could have been an oversight and I assure you we will make this a priority. We do have bottled water in the Candlewood Cupboard attached to the fitness center. Most of our equipment is actually quite new with the exception of one machine. We are also in the process of getting a brand new universal weight machine. I checked to make sure the remote was in the gym and sometimes it gets left on one of the machines, but there is one and should always be.

Regarding your curtains, there should definitely be, black-out drapes, sheers and decorative panels. If you could please let me know which room you were in I will make sure this gets taken care of immediately.

We are an extended stay brand of IHG, and that being said, we only doing full service housekeeping once every seven days. This is one of the reasons we are able to offer such great rates. You are correct in saying that we will gladly replace your towels, sheets and toiletries as often as you like.

We are located in the University Area which is located only 8 miles from downtown. While we are not a center city location, we are only approximately a 10 minute drive to downtown and at a much better value!

We would love to have you stay with us again and make it a much better experience! I will gladly honor a complimentary night. Please contact me directly to book this.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is our first time staying at a Candlewood Suites and I was quite impressed. The rooms were very nice with a full refrigerator and kitchen setup. Also a wrap around desk with two chairs. The location is okay, but there are not many food options within walking distance of the hotel. The staff was cordial, but I wouldn't classify them as cheery or overly excited to be working there. The room was spotless and the bed was good. I would recommend staying here. Great option for the price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Hello and thank you very much for your review! We take all feedback very seriously and appreciate your time in filling this out.

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we welcome you back anytime!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Overall, I got a good deal for the money. The place is upgraded but it needs a good cleaning. The door wouldn't close without slamming and it looked like dry blood or maybe finger nail polish on the curtain. The bed was hard.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Sara G, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Hello and thank you so much for writing a review. We take any and all feedback very seriously and want to make sure that any problems detected are to be fixed immediately.

If you could please reach out to me directly so I may obtain your room number and date of stay to investigate further, I would appreciate it.

We would love for you to give us another shot, so please let me know if and when you plan on returning to Charlotte.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This wasn't our first stop at this Candlewood Suites, but when we arrived for our stay we were thoroughly impressed with the renovations. It was a great property before, but the new details make it even better. Our crew travels quite a bit on the road and they love to be able to have their own kitchen to cook a "home cooked" meal instead of eating out. And the best is that the customer service is always above and beyond. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review Rachel! I am so pleased that you guys were happy returning to stay at Candlewood! I look forward to speaking with you towards the end of the year to discuss 2014! We appreciate all of you!