“Updated but showing it's age”

Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University
Ranked #104 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Recently updated with new carpeting, bathrooms, and furniture but some areas still need attention like the laundry room/gym which are dated. The paint in the suite was dirty and the bathroom fan was extremely loud/non functioning. Beds were very comfortable and the room was reasonably clean. The hallways looked worn and the stairwell smelled awful. The front desk closes at 11pm.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Sara G, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hello and thank you very much for your thorough review. We take any and all feedback very seriously.

I wanted to let you know that the rest of the areas outside of the guest rooms are in the pipeline for renovations so that they more closely match the newly remodeled rooms. I also would like to clarify that while the front desk closes at 11:00 there is ALWAYS a Manager on Duty staffed 24/7 and reachable at the hotel.

We would love to have you back so please let me know when you are ready to book your next reservation.

There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites University while in Charlotte on business. I was traveling with my small dog and partner, and I chose this property because of their one bedroom suite and their very reasonably priced pet fee ($15 for the first day, $10 each additional). Overall, we were very pleased with the suite, which had a great layout, and the staff was helpful and pleasant. However, we did find the mattress to be EXTREMELY uncomfortable - to the point that I woke in the night and considered a move to the sofabed - and we had some issues with the thermostat in the room. It was a little warmer than we like when we checked in, but not unbearable. There is a sign above the thermostat that says that there is a sensor that detects when you enter and leave, and that the temp adjusts to save energy. We didn't do anything to the thermostat, just went to bed. By the middle of the night, we were ROASTING, tried to adjust the thermostat with no relief from the heat, and on a night with 28 degree lows, had to open the window a bit in order to regulate the temperature. Jose came to fix it the next day while I was out, but we ended up with cold air blowing rather than hot. We never did get to a normal temperature in the room during our stay.

It's a nice extended stay property, and perfect for what we needed. A new mattress and some maintenance to the a/c-heating unit would have made this a flawless stay.

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars and get the one bedroom suite. Very spacious. Also, Hungry Howie's Piz...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

I am so sorry that you had so many problems with the AC unit. I did check with our maintenance engineer who had it replace after your stay.

We would love to have you stay with us in the future, so please reach out to me the next time you are in Charlotte and I will get you booked!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My girlfriends and I enjoyed a birthday "stay-cation" at Candlewood Suites University! What a wonderful spot! The rooms are great! Comfortable accomodations, beautiful room layout, all the amenities you need, right in your room! The staff was very accomodating (and we had lots of extra little requests) and friendly. We'll definately be back to enjoy a relaxing evening away from home.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice...I prefer the 1 bedroom!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Hello and thank you very much for your review. We take any and all feedback very seriously.

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you in the future!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

As a frequent lodger at Candlewood Suites, I was very disappointed with my recent stay. We were traveling and stayed at the same hotel twice in two weeks. the first time we stayed everything was ok except for a problem with the water / Ice in the suite and the thermostat for the heat/ac. Neither of these was too terrible. However, the second stay was much worse. First, we were told that the amount being held on our credit card would be released before our return for our second stay. It was not. Second, another problem with the water / ice. It smelled and tasted so bad, we could not use either. Third, (and this is a first) we found a cockroach on the counter in the kitchen.
I love staying at Candlewood Suites, but, if this continues to be the norm for them, I will be staying somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank budman1063
Sara G, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

First allow me to apologize for the problems you encountered while staying with us. I am told that these issues were already reported to maintenance during your stay so they will immediately be attended to.

Regarding the credit card issue, I would like you to know that we release funds immediately once you check out. If you used a debit card, as with any vendor, the release of an authorization is held at the bank level for 7-10 business days and beyond the merchant's control. I would highly recommend when traveling to avoid using debit or check cards because of this.

I would love to have you come back and give us another shot on us. If you are returning to the area, please give me a call directly to book your room.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We drove in from Raleigh to go to a Bobcats basketball game and decided to stay overnight instead of driving back after the game. We had some Priority Rewards points and after researching our options decided that we liked the location and amenities of this hotel.

We checked in shortly before 3pm (the check-in time) and were given a room on the top floor facing a marsh (i.e. a nice room). The clerk at the front desk was very friendly and attentive when we checked-in and addressed us by name every time we went in or out of the hotel.

The room was spacious, well appointed and clean.

Some of the appliances (full refrigerator, dishwasher, two burner stovetop and microwave) in the kitchenette were a bit dated, but they were fully functional and all of the other fixtures in the room were clearly updated within the past few years. The cupboards were stocked with dishes for two and all appropriate cooking utensils, there was also a kitchen sink and a roll of paper towel above it.

The kitchen had bamboo-like flooring, the bathroom was all tiled and the rest of the room was carpeted.

The built-in along the wall beyond the kitchen included a table and chair as well as a desk space and an office chair, there were some large drawers and the flat-screen TV was mounted in the corner.

The window was large and fully-operable (side-to-side); it also had a screen. It had decorative curtains, sheer curtains and black out curtains.

The bed had a nightstand and table lamp on one side and a floor lamp with a small table attached on the other, beyond the floor lamp was a comfortable recliner. Available electrical outlets (as in not used by lamps, clocks, etc.) were easily accessible on both sides of the bed.

The bathroom (like the kitchen) was recently updated and included ample cabinet and counter space as well as a spacious bathtub/shower with a curved shower rod (to give you more elbow room).

Just inside the door (technically in the kitchen) was a spacious closet.

I know this is a lot of detail on the room, but when I stay in the hotel it's my home away from home and it's important that I'm comfortable... I was very comfortable at this Candlewood Suites and would definitely stay there again!!

Side note: When we got out of the game it was almost 11pm, my boyfriend was hungry and ever place we passed was closed. When we got back to the hotel we saw a sign that said the Candlewood Cupboard (convenience store) was open 24 hrs, so we went and grabbed him a soup; we went to the front desk and asked the (same) clerk if we could pay him for it, he asked us to wait until we checked out (since he was just wrapping up the nightly paperwork) and told us he'd remember... he did :-)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sara G, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

We did renovate the hotel this year and I am so happy to hear how much you liked it! True, they have not done all of the appliances and that is only because IHG did not want to be wasteful since a lot of them are still in perfect working order! As they break we are replacing them with modern appliances.

I am so happy that our weekend guest service representative, Jose, took great care of you! I did notice you rated us a 4 on service. I was wondering if there is anything we could have done better as customer service and guest satisfaction is our number one priority.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was nice, I love Candlewood hotels.
The rooms and location were great and the staff was very helpful.
The problem I had is I reserved my room for 7 days I asked what the charge would be with taxes and everything so I'd know exactly what my charges would be, I was told 85.00 a night plus taxes soo it was going to be a little over 700.00.
After day 5 we came back to the room to find out they locked us out, I went to the front desk and was told I only reserved my room for 5 days but that they would extend me a day.
The next day I went to check out (a day early) and my bill was 800.00, when I questioned it he showed me on my check in paperwork that I signed paperwork being charged the 85.00 a night for 4 nights and 130.00 a night for two nights, hummm 1st off the night before I only reserved 5 nights.
Anyway I reserved like 7 months early and called to confirm my 7 day reservation a month before I arrived and was told I was set.

• Stayed: October 2012
saramcmill, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Hello and thank you for your response!

We appreciate any and all feedback and take it very seriously. I am not quite sure what happened with the reservation and how it was not booked properly, but I am very sorry. We do have fluctuating rates and I apologize for the confusion. We would love to have you stay with us in the future, so please feel free to reach out to me directly to book any more reservations and I assure you we will get it right! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

With my travels I stay at several Candlewood Hotels. Upon arrival I asked Lauren at the front desk, which was very pleasant and helpful with restaurant info, how old the place was. She responded 10 years but has recently done a remodeling. I have seen many remodels and this one has far been the best. I love the new lay out, new fictures and faucets. I will be more than happy to recommend this Candlewood and return when I am back in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steven M

Hello and thank you for your response!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate any and all feedback and take it very seriously. I am so happy to hear that you love the renovations we have made. We are very proud of the hotel! We would love to have you stay with us in the future! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.