“Very pleasant and helpful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University

Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University
Ranked #92 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Very pleasant and helpful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Not only a well run and clean property, the customer service was excellent. Lauren at the front desk was extremely helpful, from finding a local restaurant that delviers to assisting me with printing my boarding pass for a hasty trip to the ariport. Well done, Candlewood Suites!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark S
saramcmill, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hello and thank you for your response!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate any and all feedback and take it very seriously. We would love to have you stay with us in the future! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

sara.gomez@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was my first time staying at a hotel for a week in Charlotte for a job. I am from Raleigh and do to the unemployment situation, I was forced to come to Charlotte work. On my first day, my car was broken into while it was parked downtown.I didn't find out until after work, so by the time I arrived at the hotel, it was very late and I was very tired and upset. But because Lauren, the night clerk was working, I felt like I had someone who cared about me and I wasn't as upset as I could have been after such a bad experience like having your personal things stolen. Not only did she listen to what I had to say but she also immediately volunteered to help me get my things from the car, and took them up to my room for me. I am very grateful that she was working that night. The next night Joe was working and he was just as awesome as Lauren. Kind and friendly. Since that time, over a month has passed and this is the only hotel I will stay in. The rooms are very clean and the sheets and towels are comparable to 4 star hotels. The staff are 5 star all the way....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your response!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate any and all feedback and take it very seriously. I have noticed a very positive trend in our reviews relating to customer service and it makes me very proud of the staff we have. Thank you for letting us know! We would love to have you stay with us in the future! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is my first stay at this hotel and I must say that I have never had the kind of customer service that I have gotten from Lauren at the front desk. When we checked in, the room's ice maker didn't work so she moved us to another room next door. We were waiting for a one-bedroom suite which we wouldn't be able to move into for a few days. When one of these suites became available, she quickly accommodated our move to it. But the topper was when we came back from a grocery shopping trip with a cart load of food to find that the elevator wasn't working. Since our suite was on the second floor near the stairs at the end of the hall, Lauren told us to move out cart down there. Then she and another employee gathered handfuls of our groceries and helped us take them upstairs. She even put perishables in the refrigerator for us! If you ever need anything, Lauren is the person to go to at the front desk. I will be staying at this hotel for some time and look forward to my stay.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite is definitely a good value if you're going to stay for a while. The suite...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your response!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate any and all feedback and take it very seriously. As a part of IHG, delivering top of the line customer service is our number one goal and I am so happy to see that we have met those expectations. We would love to have you stay with us in the future! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Majorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have stayed at this Hotel and everytime I have I received the best customer service I could ask for. Joe at the front desk is what you would want to see when you first come in the door tired and all you want is to go to bed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your response!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate any and all feedback and take it very seriously. Customer Service is our top priority at this hotel and I am happy to hear we are excelling! We would love to have you stay with us in the future! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Ventura, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

It isn't necessarily posh, but who needs that anyway? I was recently in Charlotte on business and found Candlewood Suites to be a friendly and clean experience. Though I had a bit of trouble with my toilet, I found everything to be in working order and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel was very nice for the money. The room was very well equipped and nice. The hallways were a little smelly, but the rooms were not. They could have used some vending machines for late night snackers. Overall, very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Hello and thank you for your response!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us back in August and I apologize in my delay in responding back to you. We appreciate any and all feedback and take it very seriously. We do not have vending machines because we have the Candlewood Cupboard which is our on-site convenient store that is on an Honors System. We would love to have you stay with us in the future! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Raleigh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I preface this by saying, the employee on duty was flying solo for the first time, after a month of training. She was handling every challenge being thrown at her with a smile. I also want to say I am a "Road Warrior" - (Holiday Inn Gold Member), and have seen a lot of adversity in hotel management. This was handled as good as anyone could have expected.

8PM - Saturday - 7/28/12 - The start of this employees shift!

I feel the management and ownership of this property should have taken a closer look at the capacity of this hotel and scheduled more than just 1 employee to be on duty. This was not fair to the employee or the guests.

There were rooms which could have been rented that were not cleaned.
There were patrons asking for supplies which weren't available (pillows/ iron/ towels were just coming out of a dryer).
The retail Pantry was wiped out, and 90+% out of stock. (This happens to be the business I am in, so I take notice of the condition of the Pantrys.)
Garbage cans at the entrance were overflowing with garbage.
Guests were saying their carpets were soaked with water runover from their A/C unit.
The 3 computers at one point had to be rebooted which took the employee off-line until she was able to contact the manager via telephone for the passwords.

The location manager handled the situations via phone. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have gone in myself, or called someone to go in and assist. It appeared whomever worked the 1st shift handed off a hotel that was not ready for the night shift person!

As it worked out, after waiting nearly 3 hrs. for a room, it was determined the hotel was oversold. To the credit of the management of this location, they sent us up the street to another IHG property, which was just fine.

I am sorry to be so critical, as I booked this hotel based on all the "Good" comments left by other patrons. I am sure this was just a bad moment which can be overcome with a little more oversight by ownership and management.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
saramcmill, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Hello and thank you very much for your honest feedback! As the Director of Sales for this property, I take all reviews, good or bad, very seriously.

As an extended stay hotel, we do typically staff just one person per shift. We also have majority long term business that stays with us, yet do still publish nightly rates hence the high occupancy for last Saturday. I am extremely pleased to hear how our front desk agent handled all that was thrown at her and will be working much more closely with operations and housekeeping to ensure that on nights similar to this one, we are much more prepared.

I would love to have you come back and give us another shot on us. If you are returning to the area, please give me a call directly to book your room.

Sara McMillan