“Free local calls are not really free.”

Days Inn Charlotte/woodlawn Near Carowinds
Ranked #115 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
A TripAdvisor Member
“Free local calls are not really free.”
Reviewed September 13, 2002

We had to choose a motel that was close to the INS immigration office because we had to be at the office at 5:30 am. This Days Inn motel was right next door. I found it on the internet. It was similar in price to the motel on the other side of the Woodlawn Office Complex, but I chose this one because the Days Inn website offered a $5 off coupon.

When we got there we were told that we could not use the coupon because we got the lowest internet rate. I don't get why the website would offer lowest rates AND coupons if they only want you to use one or the other. That doesn't make sense.

Next, I noticed a sign posted on the office window which stated that you must pay 75 cents to have phone service in your room. It states that this fee would allow you to use phone cards, have unlimited local calls, etc.

The website stated that local calls would be FREE. Nowhere on the website did it state that there would be a 75 cent charge in order to get the free local calls. Of course, the calls are NOT free if you are paying 75 cents to use the phone.

The sign on the office window states that you must let them know if you will NOT be using the phone so that they can take the 75 cent charge off your bill. If you do not let them know, they will automatically add 75 cents to your bill whether you make calls or not. We told them that we would not be using the phone.

As an owner of a small business, I would NEVER nickel and dime people like that. I would never want to lose a customer over 75 cents. This motel lost us as customers simply because of misleading and dishonest business practices. If the phone service is NOT free, the website should say so. They know that people will pay the 75 cents because they are tired and just want to go to bed OR they will miss the sign and get charged without knowing. They know that 75 cents is a small enough number that people won't complain too much about it because our time is worth more than 75 cents. HOWEVER, we will NOT stay there the next time we have to visit the INS office. We will stay at the motel on the other side of the Woodlawn office complex or any of the other motels that are VERY close by on the same street. So, I wonder if the 75 cents they are getting from evrybody is REALLY making them more money in the long run?

I do highly recommend the Mexican restaurant in front of this motel. I believe it was called Azteca. The waitstaff was extremely friendly, the food was great, the place was clean, the service was fast, AND you get a lot of food for your money! We couldn't eat it all.

The continental breakfast at this motel was fine. It had danishes, bagels, and juice. The lobby was clean and looked much nicer than the motel rooms.

The ceiling of our bathroom looked moldy. There was no fan in the bathroom, so the ceiling had dark mold spots you could see when you looked closely.

The room was $35 for the night for 2 of us. Cheap for a motel room these days. BUT, I would spend more money next time to stay elsewhere. I think the motel on the other side of the Woodlawn Office Buildings was about the same price. (It's a different motel chain). I would try that one.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Travelers also viewed these Charlotte hotels
Montclaire South
Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel & Suites
Eagle Lake
Sleep Inn Billy Graham Parkway

Been to Days Inn Charlotte/woodlawn Near Carowinds? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Days Inn Charlotte/woodlawn Near Carowinds

Property: Days Inn Charlotte/woodlawn Near Carowinds
Address: 118 E Woodlawn Rd, Charlotte, NC 28217-2118
Location: United States > North Carolina > Charlotte > Montclaire South
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #115 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Hotel Class:2 star — Days Inn Charlotte/woodlawn Near Carowinds 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Days Inn Charlotte/woodlawn Near Carowinds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Days Inn Woodlawn Rd. Near Carowinds Hotel Charlotte