“Not Worth The Savings”

Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne
Ranked #48 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed at many Courtyard Marriotts across the country, and have always been pleased. This particular hotel looks fresh and new when you walk into the lobby and view the restaurant and computer lounge. Desk personnel are very cordial. Very disappointed when I got to my room. Very dated with very thin walls. I could here everything that was going on out in the hall and in the rooms on both sides. The room had a musty smell when I walked in and I had to open the door to my balcony to let fresh air in. I was on the third floor and on Sunday morning at 1 AM there was a large disturbance outside my room. I could hear hotel personnel trying to get the situation under control and people back to their rooms. It was so loud it woke me from a sound sleep. The people causing this commotion were very obstinate and should have been asked to leave the hotel for the sake of the other guests. They were obviously drunk and out of control. I come to this area often and stay at the Aloft nearby, but I thought this time, I would opt to save a few bucks and stay at this hotel. Wrong! Never again. When I come back in December, I will stay at the Aloft. Definitely worth the extra money and a restful nights sleep.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dennis W
Angie K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear floridaskater2003,
Thank you for staying at our hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our lobby/Bistro area and staff. We apologize that our accommodations fell short of your expectations and for any inconvenience you experienced due to noise. At Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, we take all feedback very seriously and have shared your comments with our management team. Our team is committed to providing all of our guests with a comfortable and enjoyable stay experience, and we are sorry that your stay was not representative of the high level of quality that we strive to maintain. We hope you will reconsider returning to Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, as we would love for you to have a positive experience.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

It's time. Time to upgrade the rooms. The lobby is complete but it looks like the rooms got skipped/fasttracked. They have some newer furniture but very tired mattress. Old carpet in the room and the old fake plaster walls. Not a single picture in the room - just a mirror.

It is ranked number 37 and that is what brought me here but not really worth it and definitely not number 37 - would say there may be some gaming of the system.

A.C. unit is very loud and very retro

Bare walls - looks tacky and low budget.

Carpet is the old carpet.

Mattress is really bad.- really bad.

Location is very good

Lobby is the new lobby

Tv is a flat screen

Very nice staff.

I would stay here again but would make a different choice if it was convenient.

I personally did not feel it was a good value

• Stayed: October 2012
Angie K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Db0340,

Thank you so much for staying with us and providing this valuable feedback. We are very excited that we will have a rooms renovation very soon in our future. Marriott does a great job keeping their properties looking fresh and up to date. And our ownership wants our guests to be happy and comfortable in their surroundings while visiting any of our hotels.

I hope you will come back to visit.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at the courtyard Marriott Ballantyne this past weekend when in town for a wedding. Overall was satisfied with stay, however I woke up at least twice each of the two nights there because the air conditioning unit made a VERY loud noise when turning on/off. Would have complained to the front desk had I not been so tired from the long wedding weekend and barely been in the room except to pass out at the end of the day.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear AmyJean1006,

Thank you so much for staying with us during such a special event. I know the wedding was amazing from the feedback we heard. Hopefully you had a chance to catch some z's now that you are back home. I apologize for the noisy AC unit. I definitely understand how frustrating it can be to be awakened by an air conditioning unit. I appreciate you letting us know and I will have the team look into the concern immediately.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My family and I stayed here for one evening while moving our daughter into her college dorm. The property is well maintained and freshly updated. Our room was extremely clean and comfortable, with a lovely view of the terrace and a pond. The market is expensive, as to be expected, but there's a gas station right across the street so snacks are easy to come by. Indoor pool was clean and very much enjoyed by my 5 year old.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Angie K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear TwistyBlank,

Thank you so much for a wonderful review! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and visit us even in the winter months so your little one can enjoy the indoor pool again!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our family vacation started with a one night stay at the Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne. Check in was easy and everyone was welcoming. After we settled into our room I took my two children to the lunch area where there were a bunch of folks having lunch. The nice gentleman behind the counter informed me it was their team meeting and they were not open for lunch - but he would gladly make a pizza for me and the kids. Next we were shown to a booth that had a TV so the kids could watch a show while we waited for the pizza. And then... they brought over chocolate chip cookies for us. My kids never wanted to leave.

Later that day, we used the indoor pool and another wonderful worker from the hotel came by with swim noodles for the kids to us - someone had left them there previously and the thought the kids would like to use them. So nice!!!

Aside from the wonderful hospitality - our room was clean, the location was convenient and I would absolutely recommend the Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Angie K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Hello dmarie_12.

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. The team is always looking for ways to make a connection with our guests! The media pods are so awesome because you can turn the TV to any station including cartoons for our younger crowd. I want to thank you and your family for beginning your vacation with us and we welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I've stayed her a few times and have enjoyed it each time. Comfortable room for a good value in the area. Close to everything in the Ballantyne area. Friendly and helpful staff. The lobby is updated with the modern Courtyard look and has a cafe downstairs with food/coffee available in the morning. Nice indoor pool, nice view of a large pond and fountain from the courtyard. Nice, clean gym. I've never had any complaints.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the courtyard and pond
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Angie K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear rawlsjs,

Thank you so much for a great review! Your feedback is very valuable. I am glad you loved our location. We do have some great views of the pond and the walking paths and fit trail are wonderful especially this time of the year. The lobby and fiteness center were both recently renovated to the Courtyard Refreshing Business concept. It has been a success thus far and we hope you will continue to visit us and enough our space for many years! Our team of service experts look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel was great. Staff very friendly, but what pleasantly surprised me was that valuables that I'd mistakenly left at the hotel, including cash, were returned to me with all items accounted for! A special thanks goes to Lori Freeman for helping reunite me with my items. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Angie K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Peculiar_1ne,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are definitely fortunate to have an amazing team that cares so much for our guests and their belongings. Please come back to our hotel when your travels bring you to Ballantyne.