“Seamless and pleasant”

Ranked #54 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
the road
“Seamless and pleasant”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We picked the Courtyard when we wanted a comfortable place in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte. It turned out to be very satisfactory, despite the fact that work going on in the public areas made the entrance a cramped hallway. They managed to provide coffee and cookies neatly organized on one side, and they had junk food of various kinds for sale beside the reception counter. The service was great: All the staff weren't just polite, they were really pleasant and helpful.

Here's what I liked:
- The room was spacious and clean. It had a nice desk with a second pullout desk below it so you could make a comfortable office set-up.
- The free wifi internet worked well.
- The location was really convenient. Not scenic by any means, but close to restaurants, shops, the gas station, and the freeway.
- The website warned of the lobby renovation IN ADVANCE so I was prepared to find it closed off.
- The indoor swimming pool looked nice, though I didn't actually go in.

Here's what I didn't like so much:
- The bathroom was small, and split into a washbasin outside, loo and shower inside. (But it was well-maintained and worked fine.)
- The room had only one chair, which I would not have noticed if I'd been alone. But not so nice for couples.
- The place could do with some beautification inside and out -- plants, flowers, pictures etc. It's forgettably bland. Maybe the lobby renovation will fix that.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Shalini_Iyer, Director of Sales at Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Greetings 09876,
Thank you so much for such detailed feedback regarding your experience at the Courtyard Ballantyne. Communication is very important to us and I am delighted that the information regarding construction was easy to find. We are offering a complimentary continental breakfast to all our guests as a thank you for being a part of this amazing journey.

The Lobby re-invention is a Marriott initiative for all Courtyards with the guests' changing expectations in mind. We cannot wait to unveil a ‘living space’ lobby featuring a 52” information touch screen and casual dining at The Bistro by the end of the year.

We did close the areas under construction and have recently completed an entire art wall which showcases each element of the new lobby making the space more colorful and cheerful.

Thank you once again for taking the time to recount your experience and giving kudos to the wonderful Ballantyne Team and the service we deliver. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards
Shalini Iyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sellersburg, Indiana
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is by far, one of the nicest Marriott properties that I have had the pleasure staying at. Having stayed there several times, it was nice to be greated with a "welcome back" greeting upon checkin.

Everything was top notch, from service, to staff, to room cleanliness and of course location

The Ballantyne area is great for entertaining or simple for a stopping point on a trip. The area has a wide variety of resturants and nice shopping. From a fitness perspective, the business park immediately behind the hotel has lots of sidewalks, trails and even exercise stations along a walking/runnin trial. (I ran for 45 minutes and never retraced my path).

Convenient to highways and about 10 to 15 minutes to the airport. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Shalini_Iyer, Director of Sales at Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Greetings jmk5033,
What a perfect day you chose to review us! We just received our scores for overall guest satisfaction and we are currently ranked in the Top 2% of our brand which is perfectly aligned with your opinion about us.

Your positive comments about your experience, has instilled in us a greater sense of pride and happiness. We will continue to deliver exceptional service to all our guests and I sincerely thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule for sharing how you feel about your Courtyard Ballantyne Experience! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Hollywood, CA
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This Courtyard looks as if it tried to take the "short cut" to the new renovation style that many Courtyards are undergoing. The service is GREAT...the lady at the front, who was from Greenville, SC...I forgot her name...was one of the nicest people I have ever met. The rooms however, weren't so nice. The sink is outside of the bathroom and is just a very old design if you're familiar with older Courtyard designs. Location-wise, if you need to do business at the huge office park behind the hotel, its perfect. Other than that, not much else of a draw for this spot.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Shalini_Iyer, Director of Sales at Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Greetings Chamsachamsa,
We thank you for the time you took to pen down your opinion. We value it very much. Jeanette is our Front Desk agent and will be thrilled to know that you appreciate her and enjoyed the service at our hotel. It is truly time to make some changes here and you will be delighted to know that we will be incorporating modern elements to make the hotel feel more in line with guest expectations. With breakfast and dinner offerings, an evening bar, a hi-tech interactive GoBoard, personal arrival experience, more open spaces and appealing colors. I truly hope you will come back soon to experience the new Courtyard Ballantyne which should be ready by early next year. We are proud to be located in Ballantyne as the Ballantyne Corporate Park won "International Office Park of the Year 2010" by Boma International. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Delray Beach
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Ballentyne in Charlotte NC last week. We'd been driving for over 9 hours (from South Florida) and were exhausted. Jeanette and Marylin graciously welcomed us from the front desk with smiles and warm cookies.

This was our first stay at this property. We'd requested a room with a king bed on the highest floor (3rd) available. Our room was spotless and everything (lights, TV, free Internet, etc.) worked perfectly. (BTW, the shower & toilet were separated from the dressing area by a solid, lockable wood door.)

The next morning we decided to try the breakfast service and were greeted warmly by Fay. For less than $10 pp, the hot & cold buffet was great and - once again - spotless. Fay provided eggs cooked to order, offered newspapers, and refilled coffee/juice before we could ask.

We booked our reservation via Marriott online and got a great AAA rate. From check-in to check-out our stay was outstanding. We travel to Charlotte several times a year and plan to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ted D
Greetings Mia2011x,
I wanted to reach out and thank you for such a positive reflection of your stay with us. I am very excited to know that Jeanette, Marylin and Faye made such a wonderful impression on you. We are very proud of the team we have and more than 50% of our hotel staff have been working at Courtyard Ballantyne for more than five years and they love it, which shows in their everyday connection with our guests. We strive to be better everyday and if there is anything more that we can do to serve you please connect with me directly at shalini.iyer@marriott.com.

Thank you very much for clarifying that our bathroom has a completely different design than what the guest stated in the January 2010 review. Thank you

We look forward to welcoming you back and ensuring that you have yet another memorable experience.
NY
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I love Marriotts. I always stay in Marriotts. I'll never stay in this one again.

Someone decided it was a bright idea to separate the bathroom into two rooms where the only door for privacy was a sliding, frosted pocket door. In the bathroom with the toilet there was a tiny sink and no counter space.

The TV was placed immediately between the sitting area and the bedroom area so that no one unless they were backed up against the dividing wall could see it even if it were angled.

The decor was antiseptic pastels that reminded you of a hospital or staid office building. With so many more Marriotts in Charlotte, next time I'll drive a little further when I have business in the Ballantyne area. There are plenty of better choices.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Greetings PelirrojaNY,
I sincerely apologize for the missed opportunity. I have recently trained myself to navigate through the reviews and thus am reaching out to you. Better late than never right?

I appreciate the time you took to share your experience however the description does not match what our hotel has to offer. We have guest rooms that are not suites. The King Suite is 770 sq.ft and the bedroom is completely separate from the living area and there is a hard wall between the two.

The bathrooms have bath tubs as opposed to walk in showers and the sink is outside the bathroom. The bathroom has the tub and toilet and a solid wooden door separates this from the sink and the dressing area. Kindly share this review with the hotel you stayed in so that they may in turn share it with their management company. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at shalini.iyer@marriott.com.

If visiting Charlotte in the future, please do come and experience the Courtyard Ballantyne.
NJ
Reviewed May 28, 2008

As with most hotels, they seem to be buried behind other businesses. This is next door to the Texaco.

I was expecting more of a suite, but the only suite part was the 12' plus high ceiling. There's a two person size couch and somewhat awkward high desk that doubled as a dresser which had the 37" (?) lcd LG tv on top of it. The king size bed was facing the windows. The bathroom and sink area was nothing special or very large. Just barely enough for one person at a time. Our room looked at the parking lot. The other side had a view of a pond with a tall fountain and new office buildings. I noted the air conditioner filter was filled full of dirt.

At least overnight we never heard footsteps, but every night around 2 a.m. you could hear water going through the plumbing as people were flushing toilets (once one person got up it seemed to be a chain reaction). A couple times I heard the tv or voices next door.

Bed was good - not too soft or hard. The feather comforter probably was overkill it was either too hot or too cool without. However, with our bed facing the windows, the bright light often woke us up. We were not able to entirely close the curtains (only managed to get them within 1/2" as they kept opening on their own). Also, you could hear doors slamming shut as people didn't control the closure of them.

We did not get around to using the pool.

We found we did not need to use the air conditioning all the time as somehow our room stayed cool (it was pretty hot 85+ outside).

Front desk staff seemed helpful and recommended two botanical gardens, one more than the other. Restaurant staff was excellent. Fresh fruit was excellent.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — small bathroom and bright light coming through curtains in morning
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 28, 2007

This is a very comfortable hotel with all the basic things done very well. On top of that, I can't beat the hotel for convenience as it is just a 2 minute walk from my office.

The basics performed well:

* Good sized room
* Good desk with fast wifi
* Great shower
* Wide choice at buffet breakfast

One thing I was not overly pleased with was the sleeping experience. For some reason, I always woke with a stiff back and a neck that felt in need of a massage. I think the neck was with the pillows, but the bed must be the mattress. The mattress was firm and personally, my preference is for something with a little more give.

Overall, the staff were very professional and helpful. They arranged taxis for me and helped with dinner reservations at the many nearby restuarants.

I would stay here again as I still feel the overall experience was positive.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)