“Frequent visitor to this place”

Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
Ranked #27 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I started staying here several years ago for business. I liked the location and prices and perks enough to stay and spend my own money.

I was there in late April for pleasure (Jimmy Buffett concert....) and last week for business. Both times JoAnn helped me and she was excellent. In April I needed to get a ride to the concert, and they had a shuttle service (for a fee, $30 RT) who they worked directly with. She got the van back in time for us to get to the show and then back from the show to the hotel. The outdoor amphitheater is about 2-3 miles north, so this is a nice deal. Otherwise you're paying at least $10 to park-and they limos and shuttles use a separate entrance, so they can bypass traffic. If you have any alcohol, you also can avoid that as an issue by using the service.

Anyway, the hotel rooms are always clean and quiet. The perks are outlined in other's posts here and are correct, great buffett and evening drinks on the house. Decent wifi in lobby and wired connection in the room. Check out is at 11am, which seems an hour early, but I was on the way out when housekeeping was knocking on my door at 11:00:01 am.

I would stay here again; I have had a problem or two that sent me to the front desk and it was always resolved. I could not even tell you what the issue was as they handled it promptly.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank jrhusc

Reviewed April 21, 2008

This was the first time I had ever stayed in a Drury Hotel. After using Trip Advisor for advice we decided to stay at this hotel for four nights for a long weekend Spring getaway.

The price was fair (and when we got there we actually found out that our room would be cheaper then expected) and the area seemed decent, with easy access to the I-85 highway and downtown Charlotte.

We also needed a place to stay with our 30lb. dog, which there are no extra costs for having a dog, which was another nice perk. They also gave us a room with easy access to the rear door so we could walk our dog in and out.

A hot breakfast was available every morning, free fountain drink are available during the day along with freshly popped popcorn. The pool and hottub were open and in good shape and all together the property was kept in good condition.

The room was decent. The decor was a little out of date and the exterior wall was brick, but it was clean and housekeeping was attentive. The walls are a little thin so we would often here our neighbors coming and going, but it wasn't that bad. The bed was comfortable.

Wireless internet is available and they even offer a free 24-hour helpdesk for internet issues which we used. They solved the connection problem quickly.

The parking lot is secure and gated and you must use your room key to enter and exit. There are many places to eat within walking distance and the university area shoppes are near by, so there is plenty to do.

After this experience I would stay in this hotel again if in the Charlotte area.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foofighter3399
Reviewed February 13, 2008

My daughter and I planned to go to Charlotte for New Years Eve and shop on New Years day. I read good things about the Drury Inn on Tripadvisor and decided it sounded like an ideal place for my 9 year old and me.

We checked in to a very pretty lobby decorated with Christmas decor. We smelled popcorn, it seemed very homey. When we checked in we were told about all the freebies, what time they started, etc. We went to our room, it was really nice. It even had a microwave and refrigerator, which I always find useful when traveling. The only caveat was the bathroom was a very tight squeeze.

We went downstairs to have happy hour, figuring the popcorn was the "snack". We were surprised to find that they had chips, veggies and dip, pretzels and you were allowed 3 complimentary beverages (alcoholic or not). We enjoyed this as we did not yet know what we were having for dinner.

The staff was very friendly, we asked for local menus that delivered, they gave us several. We asked if we could look at a suite (for perhaps another stay), they gave us the key to go look. Very accomadating.

We had a great time in the hot tub and indoor pool.

Later when we wanted to make a few calls, we found we were allowed one hour of free long distance calls - what a deal! We got to catch up with everyone without having to cut it short for fear of running up the bill.

Breakfast was great, we made waffles, they also had eggs, biscuits, cereal, fruit, etc. Very nice.

The hotel was within walking distance to at least 4 well known restaurants and shopping was a short trip in the car. Great location!

Highly recommened this hotel to anyone visiting Charlotte!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank likestosee
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My daughter and I and her three girls stayed here on our return trip from PA. We have stayed at many Drury Inns and so we knew what to expect (we thought!) Cosmetically, it was certainly not up to par with the other inns we have used in the past. The furniture looked like it was provided by a salvage company, mismatched and scratched and chipped...and not in just a few places. It looked like a hotel refurbished from an older, cheaper one and ut the Drury name on it. The beds were definitely not the DI usual, not soft and restful. The wallpaper in the room was peeling and wrickled. So much for the accomodations; the staff fit right in.

They acted like this was just a job. Not at all hospitable. My 7 year old grandaughter asked at the front desk if they had a pen she could use, and they said they didn't have any...PLEASE!!!

We always make reservations on a trip such as this, but our routine/agenda changed and we had to make some of them from the car with a AAA tourbook.

I would prefer to stay somewhere else next time; we have been having pretty good luck with the Hilton Garden Inn also. And Hampton Inn has been remarkably clean and cordial.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank wed1963
Reviewed December 12, 2007

My family took a weekend trip to Charlotte/Concord NC area to do some Christmas shopping and we were very pleased with our stay at the Drury Inn. I've stayed at the Drury Inn in Nashville before so I decided I would try this one. The staff was super friendly and attentive to details. It's so refreshing to go to the lobby area from 5:30 - 7:00pm to enjoy the free drinks, snacks, and popcorn. Don't skip breakfast in the morning, they have it all from eggs, sausage, biscuits with gravy, cereals, fruits, yogurt, coffee, milk and juices. All FREE. Wireless internet and 1 hour long distance per night, both are all FREE!

The room was nice and the beds are really comfortable. The desk and night stand were a little banged up, but served their purpose. That would be my only complaint. Everything else was great.

* This hotel has a really nice and CLEAN indoor pool and hot tub.

* Right off I-85 with plenty of shopping and restaurants within one to two blocks.

* Only 4 miles (exit to exit) down I-85 to Concord Mills Mall.

• Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank gm3fan4u
Reviewed October 18, 2007

When I visit Charlotte NC , if I can't stay at the Drury, I ain't goin'. The staff is friendly and efficient. The rooms are large, clean and quiet. The indoor/outdoor pool is relaxing. Not convinced? Let me tell you about the free stuff - hot breakfast better than mom's (mine, at least), long distance phone calls, internet hook-up, happy hour with 3, yup 3, drinks and yummy snacks. Because of family illness, I've been staying here 2 or 3 times a year for the past 5 years, and the Drury has always been a welcome oasis.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Extremely clean room; nice and quiet. Security provided for automobiles. Snacks and drinks provided at 5:30 p.m. Good breakfast. Would stay there again in a minute. Close to UNC and medical facilities.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo