“Best Quality- Hospitality” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Madison, Wisconsin
“Best Quality- Hospitality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

My connecting flight was canceled between Charlotte and New York and I decided to go into Uptown and spend the night. I have some IHG points, so decided to book at the Holiday Inn. I was greeted as soon as I walked in by two very cheery front desk agents. I walked in without booking and needed to sit down and use the internet to book, they were very helpful and even gave me a code to use as I scrambled for my hotspot. The best part of my entire experience was the time in the lobby. I noticed while I sat in the corner and booked my room that each person who walked through the door was greeted with not just pleasantries but with details about their stay or day. This confirmed that the front desk agents were very customer focused and this hotel had repeat business. I arrived in my room and it was fairly standard and inconsistently upgraded. The sink was very modern and the counter tops and faucet were new. They had also upgraded the tile in the bathroom, but the tub was old and dingy looking (but clean) and the wallpaper was quite dated. The TV was mounted to the wall and was a flat screen with moderate quality. I do not have cable at home, so I am excited even if I see fuzzy cable. So it was not a major inconvenience. The bed was a little harder than I typically remember of Holiday Inns, but it slept quite nicely. Overall, it was a worthwhile experience for the # of points I paid.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnUptown, Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear 2SunSisters,

Although I am sorry that your flight was cancelled I am happy that due to this you were able to experience our hotel and the exceptional service level of the staff. Each of the associates wants to make each guests experience memorable and your noticing the small details makes it worthwhile. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff. Spotless rooms. Well appointed with comfortable beds. They even offer varied pillow firmness! I asked for a quiet room upon check in and got one. I didn't hear a thing from my room. Convenient location to the heart of Charlotte. Great little convenience store for anything you forgot. The food could be upgraded a bit. No specific complaints but only mediocre compared to everything else. However, the service was very good.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Zoeboatt,

On behalf of the team at the Holiday Inn we appreciate you taking the time to post your comments in regards to your recent stay. We look forward to your return visits.
Melle , Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Hotel is situated in central Up Town so you can easily visit all the important places by walking. For parking (in same block) you can choose between self or valet parking. The reception was typical American style which means super enthusiastic. The room on 15th floor was the standard which we can expect from this type hotel. Unfortunately the air co was again an individual type with the heavy noise included. Breakfast is buffet style and compared with the price an very good standard.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear IVE-Melle,

We appreciate you sharing your recent stay at our hotel with others. Thank you for the compliments of the staff services.
Erie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

The Center City HI is located in the heart of Charlotte. We stayed there during a family trip. The rooms were clean and comfy. The staff were very helpful and attentive. For those looking to work out, the gym is very small, but enough for a quick run. The rooftop pool looked nice, but we didn't have a chance to use it. The hotel had a high class feel for a Holiday Inn, it was better than I expected.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnUptown, Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear KimB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your exceptional experience at our Holiday Inn Center City. We pride ourselves on our staff and their enthusiasm to ensure your stay is a 5star experience. We hope your travels will bring you back to Charlotte.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Not being from this area we were pleasantly surprised with all the luxury this hotel had to offer. From check-in to check-out, the front personnel were friendly and were always smiling no matter what time of day or night we went thru the lobby. We did eat breakfast everyday and had a dinner at the restaurant, the food was great and our waiter was right on top of things. We never ran out of water or coffee which is always a plus with us. We used the valet parking, paid extra, but well worth it to us. You are within walking distance of several museums and lots and lots of bars and restaurants. The rail system was down the street about a block which would take you to and from places, very convenient. Will certainly stay here again but we will ask for a view of the street and not the roof of the building beside us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a street view. We had a room that overlooked a roof.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nanapoopy,

The team truly appreciates the 5 star rating and you taking the time to share this with other travelers. We believe too that our hotel is centrally located to all the entertainment and businesses in Uptown. We hope you will have the opportunity to be our guest again in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this property, having not stayed in an IHG venue for over a decade. Given its location in the heart of Uptown Charlotte, this property has clearly stepped it up a notch, above and beyond what old-timers such as I remember a Holiday Inn to be. It’s a full service property, with all the amenities and services that come with such, including an up-tone & fawning customer orientation.

My first point of contact was Stacey in Reservations. I called her out-of-the-blue mid-afternoon, said I would be arriving within an hour and asked for my corporate rate. Entirely gracious, she made the arrangements immediately. Since then, I’ve interacted with her by email to schedule additional stays over the next few months, and they were flawlessly confirmed, complete with .pdfs and con-numbers almost instantaneously.

Then, at the front desk, Adam absolutely made me feel as though I was the very and only customer that the property had been waiting for all day to arrive! I asked for “high and away” (meaning high floor and away from sources of noise/disturbance such as elevators, ice machines, kiddie conventions, etc.); the request was fulfilled … and thoughtfully. Not only was I placed on the top floor, but the room was situated in between the ice machine at the end of the hall and the elevators at the middle of the hall. Thank you Adam! Upon my leaving the property there was a wee bit of confusion on my part regarding parking validation; Adam was on duty and, without asking for my version of the drama, just took care of it and said “it’s taken care of.” Outstanding!

Their level of customer service was especially amazing given my IHG loyalty program/account has been doing little but gathering dust for years on end. I guess they were selling a customer on the return -- and they did a very good job of it. Both Stacey and Adam impressed me as significant assets to this property and should be valued as such. It’s not easy to maintain positive & upbeat attitude day-in, day-out in these types of positions; they made it look effortless and natural. If I owned a hotel, I’d hire ‘em right now!

Everything was in working order in the room -- no light bulb, HVAC, hot water, etc. issues at all. And the bed was plenty comfortable. I can’t think of a thing to say about the room, other than, well, it’s a good room! I didn’t use many services other than the buffet breakfast downstairs. It offered the usual suspects, much better-than-average raw materials for such, an excellent price (at $6.95) and fawning service at (6:30am). There’s loads of bars/restaurants within a 100 yard radius of this property, you’ll not want in that regard. At 4:00am, in my usual night-owl mode, I came downstairs looking for a snack. Alas, all that was on tap was a vending machine that was out-of-change. I’ve gotten spoiled to properties such as Hilton Garden Inn, which stock quite a few items, including refrigerated sandwiches, right next to the front desk, available 24/7, just tack it onto the folio.

I’ll mention that parking fees -- at $16/day self-park, $22/day valet, and by-the-hour otherwise – seem a bit much, even for the busy and monied-up Uptown area. The $16/day is the same rate, it seems, that anyone off the street can get for the same public garage. Perhaps something could be negotiated, given the amount of business the property brings to the garage. On the other hand, I suppose the market will bear it, or it wouldn't be priced as such.

Also, given it’s such an upscale property in so many other ways, it should probably be granted exemption from having to hug so tightly corporate mandates, images & imprints -- such as carpeting swirled with bright colors, bright-yellow translucent plastic door number panels and the like.

This is an excellent property in an excellent location if your business brings you to Uptown Charlotte. It’s not (what I remember as being) a Holiday Inn; nope it’s much, much more.

Happy Motoring !

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear DrQuality,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed review of our hotel and it's wonderful staff. Both Tracey our Reservations Manager and Adam our IHG Loyalty Champion were delighted to be able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your return visits and clearing the dust off your IHG Loyalty rewards card! Thank you.
Epping, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

Checking into this Holiday Inn brought an immediate feeling of Southern hospitality with Adam at the front desk. His sense of humor was refreshing after a long flight and his knowledge of the area most helpful. He recommended their restaurant and we had a great dinner with exceptional service. Our room was quite nice. The location of the hotel is perfect for spilling out the doors to experience all that Charlotte has to offer.

Room Tip: Choose a quiet traffic side...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnUptown, Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear BonDon101,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and especially for your recognition of Adam at the Front Desk. Too often times the staff hears only the bad and it's always refreshing to read such great feedback. I believe that our Caffe Siena restaurant is a hidden gem and I'm glad you were able to experience the excellent service and culinary delights it has to offer. We hope your travels will bring you back to us again in the future.