“I don't think they really care”

Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City
Ranked #47 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Troy, North Carolina
“I don't think they really care”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Service and value mean a lot to me and cleanliness is where I draw the line. I know things can go wrong, I also know things can be fixed. When I let the staff know about issues in my room and leave for the rest of the day I expect them to be fixed when I return. I also expected they would care when I told them they were not. So much for my expectations. Maybe I'm just spoiled by hotels that care.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was on a business trip to Charlotte which was going to be held on the campus of the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. My wife and I ended up staying at the Holiday Inn. The hotel is centrally located to all of Uptown Charlotte and very near great restaurants and activities in this area. The front staff was exceptionally warm when we checked in, immediately handled a small problem we had and continued to be courteous and helpful throughout our stay.
The room was clean, up to date with a comfortable bed, free wifi throughout the hotel. Great place to stay!

Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Everything about this hotel was just fine - the staff were extremely helpful, there are lots of restaurants in the area. My only quibble would be that it's located next to the sports arena, which means most of the restaurants on that block are pizza joints. Good Thai food just 3 blocks away at Basil, though, and if you go to the Chinese Bistro across the street and ask for the Chinese menu, they'll giggle but help you out. All in all, a fine place to stay -- and you can bargain the price down to reasonable if you work at it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Oak Hill, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Do not stay here if you want friendly customer service. The rooms are small and very loud. Front desk employees are very rude and don't care about your needs. I contacted the main office and all i was told was that they would look into the problem. It is not a 3 or 4 star hotel maybe a 2. Will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay at The OMNI much better place to stay.
1 Thank DCP29
Cornelius, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stopped here on the way home from the airport. The food was delicious (Seabass Cake, Mixe Green Salad and Trout entree) and our server, Tamika, was wonderful. The hostess, Courtney, checked on us serveral times to make sure we had everything we needed. I would definately go back there and would recommend anyone staying or living in Charlotte to stop and give them a try.

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel.
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I ended up staying at this Holiday Inn because there was a convention and this was the only hotel in the city that had room(s). I wasn't upset that I had to stay here but Holiday Inns are not always my first choice. Thankfully one of the big pluses of this hotel is the location. It is in a part of the city that has a lot of activity within walking distance.
I'll start with the good side and than talk about why the average rating.
The staff at this hotel are really nice and tentative. If you have a problem or what not they are always happy to help. I appreciate that since I travel a lot for work and usually rely on the front desk for help. Overall the rooms were decent and comfortable. For a Holiday Inn it was roomy and had the basic necessities. I will admit that the AC and heating unit is pretty loud and the unfortunately the toilet itself seemed a little dirty like someone decided to step on the toilet lid and left black streaks from their shoes. The valet was pretty quick, actually quicker than most city hotels. I couldn't believe how quick.
So now for why the average rating.
I had A LOT of trouble with the phones. There were two in the room. One by the bed and one on the desk. I had to call down 3 separate times to have phones fixed. One would ring and the other had no dial tone. Next the next phone had a terrible connection with a lot of static. It just shouldn't be that way with phones in a hotel especially since they are your link to the front desk, room service, wake up calls, etc. It was actually quite frustrating.
My only other gripe is the food. I know I could go other places but when you're at a hotel for business purposes, you don't have time to look for other breakfast places. I found the food overall mediocre. Just basic cafeteria style food. By the third morning I said enough is enough. Also, the room service menu didn't quite match what they have available. I really wanted a certain soup on the menu and when I went to order it, it wasn't available anymore.
In other words, the food takes this property down a notch in my book.
Overall, I don't think I would stay at this property again but that's only because I don't usually stay at Holiday Inn properties. If it was the same situation as mentioned above, I would stay and not complain but other chains do it better and do it better with a little more attention.
Oh and I never like the separated shower toilet area from the sink area. I hate when they are apart. I like it all in one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I hosted a bachelorette party for my sister at this location and overall everything was wonderful. There were a few customer service issues I had that I'd like to mention so that others are aware.

1- I booked the block of rooms 3 months in advance via the 1-800 number on the website. I have a military ID and requested the military discount. I was given the discounted rate for all 5 rooms and was told I only needed to present my ID upon arrival. Unfortunately, when I arrived the girl at the check-in counter told me that I could not have all 5 rooms at the discounted rate, that I could only have two of them. I pitched a royal fit and 40 minutes later they gave me all 5 rooms at the rate that I was quoted. Bad way to start a fun occasion.

2- I emailed back and forth with Tracy [--] about specifics that I needed for this gathering I was hosting (iPod player, Microwave, Fridge, Early Check-in). I was told these things would be ready and they were not. We never got the iPod player, Microwave or Fridge. Bad customer service, Tracy.

NOW, I'd like to tell you about the wonderful things at Holiday Inn City Center.

1- Very clean and modern. I loved the decor and it made great back drops for my photography.

2- The rooms had adjoining doors which made it very easy for our guests to mingle.

3- Jay Jay at the front desk was so friendly and helpful. He arranged a private limo service for us beautiful ladies for a great price. I've been told he has the "hookup" so make sure you get with him if you need anything special.

4- Adam is the food and beverage manager and he was so good to me. He offered to bring a 6 foot table in to our room with table cloths for FREE. Are you serious? FREE? He even came by the room to make sure we got all that I requested and warn us about the no noise policy starting at 11pm. We very happily toned it down by that point.

The stay at the hotel was wonderful and the event was great. I really appreciate all that helped me at the hotel to make this event special!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends