“Oh dear....difficult to breathe.”

Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel
Ranked #97 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed September 23, 2010

The property is clean ... yes. The staff (1 individual) .... lovely and helpful. Breakfast .... I should have packed one as the only non-carb/sugar/fat choice was a banana or apple. My biggest complaint was that in this age of eco-awareness and environmental concerns, I was stunned by the toxic air quality of the room. It was probably the cleaning products used, but immediately when I opened the door, the perfumed scent was overwhelming and made it extremely difficult spending the night in this hotel. I'm also concerned that the air conditioning unit vents have never been cleaned, and as the noise from operation was so loud, I was awakened each time it ran higher to cool. For these last two reasons, I couldn't possibly stay here again. Pay attention to these details and I definitely will.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TaraVegas4

Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have stayed at MANY Best Westerns - this is the worst one that I have ever been to!! I booked the hotel online through the Best Western site. They showed the total price for the stay and then showed that taxes were an estimate. when we checked in the amounts did not total (about $30 more than) what the confirmation showed. I questioned it with the front desk person - she said it was because the taxes were an estimate. I went down the next morning because I went through my online reservation and it did not match correctly. Again, the desk person just kept saying it was right, must be the taxes. Now granted I had stayed at two other best westerns during this vacation and did not have the problem with EITHER of the online confirmations. The desk person told me I'd have to talk with the 800 number for best western. I called them, they tell me the best westerns are independently owned and the price is on them. So basically I got NO WHERE over and over again. What I think the real answer, which no one wanted to fess up to was that I booked the hotel in early February and it just so happened to be a nascar race weekend. so I don't know if they raised the price for that or what but it's ridiculous when the price booked online THROUGH the best western website doesn't match up when get to the hotel!!

The other issue was the hotel was VERY dirty. There were ants all over the room.... my daughter sat on the desk chair and then slid off - her clothes were black with dirt. It was one of the worst hotels that I've ever stayed at!! We have family in the area and I would pay WAY more at another hotel just so that I wouldn't have to stay there again!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Evie H
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I recently visited Charlotte NC to visit family (4 grandchildren) to be part of my granddaughters 1st Holy Communion. I choose Best Western for its afforable rates and I got so much more. I was greeted on check in with welcome to best western how was my trip and was refer to by name the rooms were clean spacious and comfortable,even the room staff was courtesty. every day a good morning and asked if we needed anything
Location was great close to shopping (Walmart) and plenty of resturants

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I read some of the other reviews and wondered why anyone would say something negative about this hotel. Originally, I had a reservation to stay a block away at a different hotel that was unacceptable, so I had to make last minute reservations at the Best Western. The staff was very helpful and polite. Karol and Dave were working front desk when I checked in. They were efficient, friendly, and informative. The hotel was decorated very nicely and my room was immaculately clean. My stay was comfortable and quiet. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Conference Meeting brought me to Charlotte and since I am a new guest to Best Western, I would try this motel out and earn my Best Western Points / Miles. This motel was dirty and the staff acted as if they were there just to have a job. No happiness, no care, it almost felt uneasy. I found breakfast to be OK but that was it. I will not return to this location. I hope that the Owners or Best Western does a better job with this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank campdisney
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I stayed at this property last week 01/29/2009 x 2N. We had 2 rooms. OK, the Good, The bathroom was one of the cleanest, that I have seen. Alot of detail into keeping the tile and floor clean. Breakfast was BW Standard but the Breakfast attendant sat in a chair watching tv chatting with a friend who was not an employee and never assisted the guests. The Front Desk staff were nice, but not helpful at all. I had a King Suite that really wasnt a suite, it was a room with a King Bed and a Sofa Sleeper off to the side. I paid extra for this? When a room with 2 queens would have been the same space, but less money. The Sofa Sleeper had no Sheets, Blankets or Pillows. I called the desk and they had ME walk down to get the Sheets and Blanket but they would NOT give me 1 pillow. They told me to use the pillows on the King Bed. Best Western Standards requires 4 Pillows to a King Bed, not 4 Pillows to a King Bed and a Sofa Sleeper. No one offered to get a pillow, not even one. So my 2 kids, had 2 pillows and my pregnant wife and I had 2 pillows on a King Bed. NOT VERY GOOD. This property cares about the money that they are taking from the guest but not caring about the guest needs. Not a very good Best Western Property. At check out, they charged me for a Safe that was never used and then refused to reverse the charges off. I asked for a comment card and of course, they were out. I asked if they had my email address so Best Western could email me and they saud NO, they dont do Email addresses. I then asked for the manager and the front desk clerk told me "It is the weekend, he nevers works on weekends" Again, they care about taking yoru money but they dont care about the guests. So needless to say I will not return to this property. I love Best Western and Marriott very much so if you want to go Best Western go to the B/W Sterling across town. Been there 4 times and wished I would have returned.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mwaynecribb
Reviewed April 10, 2008

the staff, and managers, showed the worst hospitality i have ever seen. They did not honor the rate that i was promised, and they were completely rude. They hung up on me in the middle of me asking how to connect to the internet. They were very rude, and made me feel like i was the dumbest person ever. I have never been so disappointed with any hotel i have ever stayed at. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ihatebestwe
bwindependence, Public Relations at Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2008

I would like to apologize for the bad experience you had with your stay here. We have spoke to the staff involved and made the necessary corrections. We would like to invite you back to stay with us the next time you are in the Charlotte area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews
Sleep Inn University Place
#83 of 180 in Charlotte

Been to Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel? Share your experiences!