“I Had A Great Time!”

Ranked #89 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Florida
“I Had A Great Time!”
Reviewed June 1, 2007

I have just come from a very restful time at the Best Western Independence and I was pleasantly surprised that everything was clean, and the staff efficient. The best thing that I liked about where the property is, is its close proximity to most of the major shopping locations.

I had a great time there and I would definately go back to that specific location.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
saluda,nc
Reviewed October 29, 2006

the property has been renovated. however, after i signed my folio paid my bill for the two nights and left, an additional charge of $150 was charged to my debit card account. i discovered this several days later when i went online to check my balance. i called the hotel and was told that it was because i had 2 dogs in my room. i did not. the clerk told me i would have to speak to the manager who was not in. i called a total of FIVE times in two days, left voice mails but mgr never returned my calls, i did speak to the sales mgr and customer relations persons who said they'd call me back, (they didn't) but said they couldn't act (no authority in other words) and i ended by going to my bank and signing an affadavit regarding the charge. my question is this - if i was thought to have animals in my room why not come to my room sunday morning before i checked out or sat evening when i was in and inspect the room and tell me what they thought. this would have solved everyone's problem. does this mean that if you stay at this property you had better have the mgr or someone inspect to make sure you are not stealing towels, have dogs, cats, whatever. this is just unethical and very poor business. thank you, t. collins

• Liked — cleaniness
  • Disliked — a chg not made but posted to my visa debit after checkout
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here you may have charges you didn't incur and mgr will not respond
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank nicki01
NC
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We came to Charlotte on June 12 for a graduation. We had booked the hotel room (Quality Inn Crown Point) nonsmoking with 2 double beds by phone a month earlier. When we arrived one staff member said to the other, "we ain't got no clean rooms." This should have been our clue to run quickly, however, our time was running short and we knew of no other hotels to try at the time. (Check in was at 3 PM...we arrived at 4 PM)
After graduation we arrived back at the hotel at 10:45 PM. Not enough towels in the bathroom. Had to request more. Getting ready for bed we turn the bedspreads back to find filthy linens on both beds (won't go into details). After complaining to the front desk, we were moved to a business suite with 1 King bed and a sofa bed. Smelled of smoke (we had members with smoke allergies) and requested another room. The next room also had 1 King bed and a sofa bed and luckily the nice fellow from the front desk followed us with linens for the sofa bed. Too bad he didn't also bring a new mattress for it. Finally in bed by 1 PM. Next morning if you weren't at the Continental Breakfast by 9 AM you lucked out. Everything was moved out and computers were moved in! "Renovations" were in progress, but this was no excuse for the poor housekeeping and organization of the hotel. The only thing good about the experience was the staff were extremely nice and as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. Never, EVER, again will we stay here. THE worst place I've ever been.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank KCC
ArmymomOhio, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2008
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had while stay with us at the Best Western Independence Hotel. We have since changed management at the hotel and our guests will not find problems like this under our new management
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 9, 2005

The best thing about this hotel is that they serve a full hot breakfast in the mornings for FREE! They put out bacon and eggs, waffles, the whole spread. They also make fresh baked popcorn for the guests in the lobby in the evenings. I travel a lot and always look forward to staying at the Quality Inn because they seem to go the extra mile on everything.

-JL

30 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews
Montclaire South
Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel & Suites

Been to Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel? Share your experiences!