“the Stench of the Best Western”

Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel
Ranked #93 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have tried reaching Mr. Patel several times. His voice mail is always full and he is either not there or on property. I have even left message with the hotel clerk but no response. My stay was HORRIBLE. I checked in around 8:30pm on 3/11/14. I had 2 rooms. My business associate had no issues. I was first sent to a non-smoking room on the second floor. I was unable to open the door with the keys provided. I was given another key and was able to enter the room. The room was very hot so I turned on the air conditioning and it sounded like a jet engine. I called the front desk and held up the phone. They agreed that something was wrong. and I should be moved. I was moved to a non-smoking room on the third floor. When I got off the elevator it smelled terrible up there. When I got into my room, it looked clean but it smelled. I was tired and tried to make the best of it. unfortuantley I got hives and started sneezing, watery eyes. I didn't know what was wrong. It was also very difficult to breath, like the air was heavy. I tried to go to sleep but was unable to. I called the front desk around 2 or 3 asking if there was any Febreeze or lysol spray available. They said no. I told the clerk that there is something wrong with the air because it smells bad and it is difficult to breathe. He said that must be the cigarette smoke. I said what cigarette smoke. He said you are on a smoking floor. I was LIVID. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and didn't realize that was what the smell was. That explained why the air was difficult for me to breathe. They offered to move me but I said that is rediculous because I was to be up in a few hours. I said that is horrible that you would put a non smoker up here when the smell goes right into the room anyway. Needless to say I had ZERO sleep and had 5 huge business meetings the next day. On top of that, I had just come from the hairdressers so I would look great for the meeting and I had to redo everything because of the smell. My afternoon appointments were in Greenville SC. Unfortunatley, I was then stranded in SC because of the snow at home and I had to deal with smelly clothes NOT ONLY for my meetings all day but the next. I am very upset with Best Western and Mr. Patel. How can you complain if you can't reach him. I would have been better off sleeping in the car. I have previously stayed at this hotel and it was fine. No my money was not well spent. I can be reached at 216-534-8612 I would appreciate not only a call back but my money back for one nights stay. Thank you Shawn Lichtig

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Shawn L
Sande R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate you taking time out of your morning to speak to us. We take each guest concern very seriously and apologize for your inconvenience. We had a professional steam cleaning company come out to clean the carpet and drapes to remove any hint of smoke smell that you experienced. Our Maintenance department corrected the problem with the air conditioner the following day as well. We appreciate you bringing these problems to our attention. Once again, we are sorry for the inconvenience and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Charlotte area.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Wonderful staff and accommodations. Check in was quick and simple. lot's of restaurants and shopping near by. the grounds were well kept and safe. i would definitely return. the breakfast was nice addition to my stay. interior hallways were very Quiet.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Sande R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review for us, we know you are busy and appreciate your time. We hope to see you next time you are in the Charlotte/Matthews area,

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Check-in was smooth and friendly. Ample parking. Room was spacious, tasteful and acceptably clean. Nice view from large upper floor window. Appreciated the "green remote" concept. Was out late, stopped by the desk on the way back in and asked staff to set me a wake up call for 8am. Really looking forward to that hot breakfast. The bed was way too firm for my back, finally fell asleep after tossing awhile. Woke up at 9:30...no wake-up call had come. My wife went down and breakfast had closed at 9am. Now we were late. Checked out, let the staff know what happened. I expected some type of comp at this point, a discount or future discount or even an offer of a bowl of cereal but got nothing but a reluctant, brief apology and a stare. Too bad because the room was nice and it was a nice location. I would have stayed there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 851erikj
Sande R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you very much for taking time to leave us your review. I apologize for you not receiving your wake up call, I know how important those are to our guests. I have let our Manager know about this situation and he has spoken to all employees concerning this issue. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were stranded at Charlotte Airport after flights were cancelled due to the recent snow storm and were pleased to be able to get accommodations at this property. All of the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome during this stressful time. The room was well appointed, very clean, spacious, and comfortable. We were greeted by a cheerful smile of the breakfast attendant and the hot breakfast was a great way to start our day. Sande was very helpful with directions and suggestions on the best route out of town to avoid any possible road closings. Thanks to everyone for their help and southern hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review, we appreciate you taking time out of you schedule to review us. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon. Hopefully next time the snow will stay away!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Very clean and in a good section of the city. WiFi is actually fast. Very friendly place to stay. We have family in Charlotte and we stay at this Best Western when possible. There is a Chili's next door.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Sande R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

I would like to say thank you for taking time to leave your review for our hotel. We hope yo hear from you again the next time you are in the Charlotte area. If there is anything we can do for you, please feel free to contact us.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I only stayed here for one night on a business trip. I didn't check in until after midnight and the gentleman working the desk made me feel very welcome and was pleasant and helpful despite the late hour. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you very much for leaving us your review, we know you are busy and appreciate you taking the time to do so. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel doesn't get the best reviews, but it was better than I expected. The room was decent size, clean, comfortable, and the breakfast was better than many Best Westerns. I think management should quit charging $1.50 for the safe and just increase the room prices by $1.50. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sande R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for your review. I will forward your concern about the safe charge to our Manager. We hope that you will come see us when you are in the Charlotte area. Be sure to let us know at check in that you would not like to be charged for the safe and we will be happy to remove that charge for you. Again, thank yolu for taking time to leave your review,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
Montclaire South
Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel & Suites
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel? Share your experiences!