“Best Western Matthews Sucks!”

Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel
Ranked #96 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best Western Matthews Sucks!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had to stay here for a week on business during the Democratic National Convention. Cheapest room was $180. This hotel has never been remodeled since probably the late 80s or early 90s, I expected to see Ron Burgandy staying here. The hallways smell like mildew from my Grandma's basement. Even though I got a non-smoking room it was obviously not previously one, and reeked like smoke...but I guess it at least covered up the mildew smell. I needed to do laundry but was told the dryer is broken and they are having someone come to repair it, 4 days later the repairman hasn't yet arrived. My air conditioner rattles and sounds like I'm sleeping beside an idling diesel engine. I asked the desk to have someone look at it, but three days later nobody, maybe its the same guy who is supposed to fix the dryer. Complimentary breakfast is full of old wrinkled apples and bruised bananas. Wifi sucks, I couldn't get it to work the second night and was going to call the front desk to ask if it was out but discovered the phone in my room is also broken. Another individual I'm traveling with found a cockroach in his rooms' refrigerator.

THIS PLACE SUCKS, I've stayed in better $30 motels on the side of the interstate in the middle of nowhere. I would have checked out the first night if it wasn't already pre-booked by my company and the DNC filled up all the other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nick V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I had several issues with this property, however the main one is with the management. I believe the name of the manager is Sande and she is the rudest individual ever. The breakfast was okay, however they need a bigger variety. There were bugs in my fridge and the carpets are extremely in need of a deep cleaning. I expressed my concern about the smell of mold in my room, and the other concerns to her and all she could do is look at me with a dumb face. I asked her if it was possible for my family and I to move to another room because we were there for a special occasion and all she said was I can spray for the bugs and we have no more rooms. I have never in my 15 years of working in the hospitality industry been treated in such a manor. I believe that management needs to make serious changes. She needs to take some courses in hospitality management in order to understand what her title requires of her. We stayed a total of 4 days and throughout the entire time we stayed she never once offered to move us or even apologized for the situation. This made us question whether or not we even trusted the name Best Western. We chose to stay here because whenever we stay in Charlotte, we like to be close to the Matthews area. We will really be looking to spend our money elsewhere. She is giving this company a bad rep, along with the other issues. Most people will deal with the other issues if management shows some type of empathy about the negative experiences a guest may be having. This was not the case with this sham of a manager. She acted as though my problems were bothering her. This is completely and utterly unacceptable in this industry.

Room Tip: My tip would be to choose another hotel.....Try the Courtyard, Hampton Inn, or Holiday Inn. All of t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Queenelle J
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We got this hotel through priceline which we often use. However, we were not pleased. The first night (next day), no one came to clean the room. The next day, someone came in and took the towels but did not leave any and never cleaned the room. I called front desk and they brought up only 2 towels. The refrigerator did not work. I called the front desk. They said they would send someone. It was obvious someone "worked" on it but it still did not work.
Just won't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rtglinda
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2012

After having a surprisingly great experience at The Best Western on Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach during Spring Break, I decided to roll the dice again with this one for a last minute trip to Charlotte.

This is not a 5 star hotel. But the value for the what I paid made this hotel excellent in my eyes. I got a AAA rate of $81.99 a night. (NON-AAA was $89.99.) I booked online for one night and ended up deciding to stay for two. We checked in on a Wed night and checked out on a Friday morning.

When I arrived I was greeted at the front desk by SANDY. She was very nice and friendly, and very helpful. When I couldn't get my room safe to work she nicely helped and kept trying until she was able to figure it out. She allowed me to tack on that extra night no problem. We forgot a haircomb, she gave us one. I do not recall haveing my credit card and licensed scanned as some of the other reviewers stated. So either they didn't do it because I booked online or they did it without me noticing.

The room was very clean. I was quite impressed with the cleanliness of the shower and bathroom in particular. The towels were very white. (Photos below!) We were very comfortable in our room. The beds were very comfortable to us and we rested well after each busy day. Only bummer was there is no swimming pool. That was ok since we didn't stay at the hotel very much anyway.

Their complimentary deluxe continental breakfast also makes this a great deal. There is plenty to choose from. I especially liked that we could make our own little belgian waffles.

We visited IKEA and The US National Whitewater Center on our trip and both were closeby. An easy 15-20 minute drive. There is a Chili's restaurant right beside the hotel and many other food choices on the same street and across the street.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Claremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for three nights. Located about 20 +/- minutes from downtown Charlotte (depending on traffic), the hotel is in a relatively quiet suburban area, and is close to a number of malls and chain restaurants. For those who plan to stay outside of the city and drive in to see the sites, you may want to consider that finding reasonably priced, conveniently located parking can be a challenge. I found this hotel to be clean, comfortable, and quiet. The room was sufficiently spacious, although not all of the furniture was up to date. As one might expect of a typical large hotel chain, there was little that was particularly unique or charming about the hotel. The one exception was the staff, all of whom (i.e., desk clerks, breakfast staff, and cleaning staff) were helpful, friendly, seemingly genuine, and went out of their way to ensure an enjoyable stay. One suggestion that I have would be to have more than one computer in the lobby for guest use.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Courtney C, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 704-845-2810.

Courtney Chesson
Guest Relations
BEST WESTERN PLUS Charlotte/Matthews Hotel
Grayson, Ga.
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I read reviews that the bed was hard and the breakfast was not good. I have to disagree with both. My husband and I had a King size bed. I slept like a baby. My husband did say that he thought the mattress was hard but I did not think so. I might add that my husband has broken his back twice and is real picky. Also the breakfast bar was great in my opinion. The variety was super. I ate a hard boiled egg and made a waffle but there was also cereal, muffins, some sort of breakfast microwave type pizza, make your own GREAT waffles, yogurt, fruit, juice and sausage biscuits. There was more but that's all I can remember. I know there was juice and I had fantastic organic green tea. The selection was MORE than ample. It's a do it yourself breakfast , not a sit down and be waited on breakfast. I've had the same type breakfast at The Hampton Inn. Hey just a tip: you can bid on two and a half star hotels in Matthews and you might get lucky and get a room for $39 plus tax ($53 total) What a deal! It's located on the East side of Charlotte , not too far from Mint Hill. It's off Sardis Road N, not Sardis Road (for GPS purposes put in Crownpoint Executive Drive Charlotte 28227). My GPS and my sister's GPS in a different car did NOT have Sardis Road N. We wasted 45 minutes looking for the hotel off of Sardis Road. THIS hotel is NOT on Sardis ,but Sardis N. I hope that helps you to find the hotel.

Room Tip: Use Priceline and bid on two and a half star hotels
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Perdido
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Courtney Chesson
Guest Relations
BEST WESTERN PLUS Charlotte/Matthews Hotel
Redlands, California
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We booked a package trip to North Carolina, Stayed in this hotel, Very Very nice, clean, good breakfast selection, quite, bed was great. Staff was very helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
Montclaire South
Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel & Suites
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel? Share your experiences!