“'ok'”

Sleep Inn University Place
Ranked #78 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
“'ok'”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed here this past weekend while visiting my son - I could not get the usual hotel I like to stay in. The room was 'clean' with the exception of one bug that resembled a roach -- wasn't too happy about that. The room smelled good but the hallways smelled like smoke :(. There were a lot of Mustangs there for a car show and in the morning the engines starting up in the parking lot were very loud. Also the people above us were very noisy...stomping their feet very early in the morning. We never got down to breakfast because we chose to sleep in. The front desk help were all very nice and always said Hello and talked with us. Bath towels were on the small side.

For the most part for the price it was ok. I will definitely try to go the hotel I prefer first, but this is an OK second choice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine A
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte, I am really sorry about the noise and the bug in your room. We contract Dodson Pest control to preform montly pest inspections. It is rare that you would find this in a room and I will bring it to there attention. There was a 50th Mustang anniversary last weekend. Sorry for the engine noise, some of them were too loud.
Please let me know if there is anything I can be of assistance with in the future.
Sam Lucas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Linville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel when we were in Charlotte for the NHRA Drag Races this weekend. Also staying were families of fastpitch softball players, competition cheerleaders, and drag racing crews. Even with the large number of guests, the hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. You could tell there were a number of young people in the hotel by the sound of feet running down the hallway but it completely quieted down at an early hour. The beds and pillows were comfortable, the rooms were clean and fresh smelling. The breakfast was tasty and plentiful.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shannon Pence G
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for staying with us for the NHRA Races! I really appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you on future trips to Charlotte!
North Carolina
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Very nice breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, fruit ... we ate there each morning as did many other guests. Very convenient location; Shoney's right next door; comfortable bed/pillows; bath towels were small; guest room doors on our floor (ground) tended to loudly slam shut. Pet friendly at $25/stay but note there is very little grass to exercise pets.

1 Thank SMP-NC
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte!
I really appreciate you sharing your review on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear you enjoyed our free hot breakfast. I am working with our maintenance staff to adjust the door springs so they don't shut as hard. Thank you for mentioning 1st floor, I'll have them readjust those doors. We hope to see you on your next visit.
Waynesville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I came to Charlotte,N.C. to go to NASCAR HALL OF FAME. We were very fortunate to find this motel.The staff/front desk were excellent.The price for the room was very reasonable,the breakfast was amazing,a great variety to choose from.My room was very clean,the only thing that wasn't up to my standards, was the mattress.Lumpy,very uncomfortable to sleep.

1 Thank Tammie C
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are positioned between the speedway and the Nascar Hall of Fame in a great location for race fans to stay. I am sorry the bed was not comfortable. It is great to hear you enjoyed our free hot breakfast.
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed March 25, 2014

There were some positives to this place. Front desk was very friendly upon check-in/out. Got room for a decent price. Our room on the 5th floor was very clean. Hotel hall smelled a little smoky, but our non- smoking room was ok after opening the window. Had the most comfortable beds! TV was nice and had a fridge and microwave. The free breakfast had a nice size selection and tasted good. Good area- near lots of stores and restaurants. Free Wi-Fi worked really well.

But, even though the bed was comfy, did not get to sleep very late. First off, the hotel's room doors are some of the loudest slamming doors I have ever heard. Luckily that quit after a while and the slamming did not happen late into the night. Early morning there are other sounds.... Our room faced the street AND a Bojangles. (Although I asked for a quiet room- which probably would have been the back of the building.) At 7 am I was awakened for good by the drive thru window speaker at the said Bojangles. I was on the fifth floor, so I can only imagine how loud that speaker was on lower floors. Also, could hear actually hear next door guest shaving. Could hear him hitting the razor on the sink every time he rinsed it. So, those few noises are my only complaint. Some people can maybe sleep through it, as my husband did, unlike me. Not trying to be nit-picky. Just letting you know its not the quietest of locations. I think its near a medical center also, cause i kept hearing sirens early. (That's not hotels fault of course)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the building instead of having to hear biscuit orders at 7 am. :)
1 Thank soeastmama
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Charlotte. We really appreciate your review!
I am happy to hear you enjoyed our comfortable beds and our delicious free hot breakfast.
I am sorry you were awoken by the Bojangles drive through speaker. I am going to share your review with them today and I hope they will at least turn it down during there breakfast service. I will also work with our Maintenace staff to inspect and adjust the door springs so they do not slam shut. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had an excellent experience staying at this hotel. I will come again. The food was excellent tasting and the service out of this world. The laundry room was clean and the machines were priced good. The machines worked perfectly.

Room Tip: Smoke-free rooms are the best to get because of the quality and scent of the rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us, and I really appreciate your review!
We recently added the guest laundry facility and it is good to hear it helped during your visit.
I am glad you had an excellent experience and we hope to see you soon.
Bergenfield, New Jersey
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I booked a room here for 2 nights. I didn't stay the first night but one of my friends did. I went over in the morning. Then continental breakfast was nice. The next night I stayed over and the bed was not to my liking, the bed as so worn out that I didn't have support it made noise with every move you made. The bathroom shower did not have a lot of pressure and the slide away bathroom door was so a far in the wall I had to use something to get it out. The shower door was huge and when you opened it, it took up most of the bathroom. The place wasn't horrible, but if you're looking for a good night sleep this isn't the place to go. Even my friends agrees the next time were in Charlotte, we'll be staying somewhere else

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our free hot morning breakfast. I appologize you did not find the mattress comfortable. We have Serta Mattresses and they are a medium firmness. We have recently rotated all of them at the begining of the year. I did share your review with our executive housekeeper and we will keep an eye out for mattresses that may need replacing.
I appreciate your reveiw and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.