“Great Hotel”

Sleep Inn University Place
Ranked #78 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel when I went to Charlotte for wedding. The service was excellent. Front Desk staff was very helpful and friendly. I stayed at this hotel in the past but they just did renovation and I must say new look of this hotel is simply awesome. They got new flat TV's, Bedding, furnitures, etc. and I had very good stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I also like the location of this hotel as everything is near by.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank N D
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for staying with us pre and post renovations. We are excited to have everything fresh, modern and new again! I appreciate that you took the time to write this review.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed at this Sleep Inn when preparing for a friends wedding. The hotel was very quiet and the staff was friendly and helpful! At check in my friends and I requested adjoining rooms and the front desk clerk was ready to accommodate our requests. In the rooms we enjoyed the updated decor in and the large showers! The beds provided a cozy night's rest that was much needed. The breakfast was fully stocked and offered a variety of meal options. I will definitely stay here again when I am in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KatNicDes
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for staying with us prior to your friends wedding! I am happy to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and the free hot breakfast in the morning. I really appreciate that you took the time to write this review.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

The hotel was very nice and clean. The service was excellent, especially at the front desk. Everyone was warm and friendly. The hotel is very conveniently located with many shops, stores, and restaurants nearby. The rooms are a little small, so are the bathrooms, but they are still still doable. You can tell the hotel has been remodeled because of its newness.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Duane G

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte. I am glad you had some time to explore some of the plentiful shopping and dinning this area has to offer. I appreciate that you took the time to write this review.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for four nights this week while visiting family in the area. Rooms are very small and a bit musty. We had a handicapped room and the bathroom was fairly good for my needs except the shower curtain in the walk-in shower was too short so water always splattered out and onto the bathroom floor making for very slippery conditions. Had to carpet the floor with towels to avoid becoming more handicapped than I already am! My husband and I like to read in the evening but there are no comfortable chairs in the rooms. In fact, there is only ONE chair in the room at all...a desk chair at the tiny desk which, when in use essentially cuts the room in half making it difficult to get from one side to the other.

Whoever thought those four tiny pillows on the bed were a good idea should be fired.

The breakfast was pretty standard hotel fair except it was not replenished toward the end of the breakfast hours. We observed some of the patrons of the hotel gathering up enough food from the two small refrigerators to get them through the day. One lady with three children took gobs of extra food every morning when she left the dining area. It was obvious she was feeding her family all day from the food she pilfered. . We concluded she might be a full-time resident of the place. The day we left, the butter I got from the fridge to put on my waffle was rancid...just awful!

When we arrived, the toilet was stopped up and my husband had to go to housekeeping and borrow a plunger so we could use it.

The place was generally clean. With all the things we encountered that we didn't enjoy, we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
gmnc005, Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Charlotte. I am really sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay.
I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I had the maintenance department adjust the height of the shower curtain.
We have expanded our items on our free breakfast bar to the highest standards and have had some problem with guests taking extra items with them lunch and dinner. I'm sorry you had a bad butter for you waffle. We go through items so fast that’s usually not a problem.
I appreciate you staying with us and please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.
704-549-4544

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We had a bad experience when staying at this Sleep Inn. We were charged for 3 nights, but only had reserved two. We didn't get any sleep because of the noise above us, beside us and out in the parking lot. When we called to complain, we got a weak apology but no change in the noise. The breakfast bar is no longer replenished 1/2 hour before it is due to close. (Guests were carrying handfuls of biscuits out each morning.) Though it is EXTREMELY convenient to University locations, the accomodations are awful. Spend $15-$20 more per night and get a nice, restful sleep with hopes of a snack in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

I am really sorry to hear your sleep was disturbed by other guests. We always contact noisey guest right away to quiet them and I am sorry this didn't help. Had we known that they continued to be a problem we should have had them leave.
I am also sorry to hear about the shortage of breakfast items during your stay. Typically this is well stocked. We do provide prepackaged items for convienience and a lot of guests do take them to go. Some take way too much and that is a problem.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed with my wife and kids at this hotel for a bowl game at the Charlotte stadium. Location is very convenient to highway and has multiple restaraunts close by to eat. I am in sales and travel every week. After the remodel I feel like this hotel has beds, linens, pillows, TV, breakfast, decor equivalent to the other major chain hotels like Hampton, Fairfield,Holiday express etc at a much better price.
Rooms were clean, each bed had about 5 pillows of various size etc which I really like, linens were clean and soft. Curtain closed completely and allowed us to sleep as long as we wanted. Continental breakfast was good. Bathroom was clean and adequately equipped

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MartinsGa

Thank you for staying with us for the Charlotte bowl game. I agree that our service is as good or better than the brands you listed and at a more affordable price. We have even upgraded our 32in flat screen tv's to have over 50 hi-def chanels and hbo and showtime. That's something most other brands do not offer. I really appreciate that you took the time to write this review.

Reviewed December 23, 2011

My children, 1 of their friends & I "were" (& i use that word loosly) going 2 stay at the sleep inn but once we arrived there after drivin 5 hrs with 9 more to go, sleeping in 2 double beds was not an option. Not 2 mention the musty smell in the room as well as the construction/ supposed remodeling going on I had 2 ask 4 my $$ back because sleeping in my car would have been far more comfortable as well as cleaner than that place. After going 2 find another place 2 stay, I was informed that the Sleep Inn is no place 4 children or adults 4 that matter & they have a sever bed big problem!!! Thanks but no thanks!!!

• Stayed: December 2011

I understand that sometimes two double beds is not a good option for a group your size. As you noted, you checked out and we refunded your money.
Sorry for the problem,