WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #28 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Walhalla, South Carolina
“Maybe in Another City”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Overall our experience here was not bad, it just wasn't what we needed at the time. The hotel was farther away from where we needed to be downtown, which made getting there a headach. The rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly; however, the rooms are NOT very soundproof, so do not plan or sleeping late or going to bed early. THe parking is open to the public, which did not make me feel very safe. Their website says they offer valet parking, but they did not when we arrived. I would give Double Tree another try, just not this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here in January for business travel. I was really impressed by the rooms, they have a very modern and updated feel. The hotel is downtown near the culinary arts institute and many businesses and restaurants, it's a great location. We ate lunch in the hotel restaurant and I thought the food was great.
I was pretty upset that when we arrived at the hotel at 11pm, I was given a room on the second or third floor. I kept hearing a vacuum running and couldn't figure out why someone would be cleaning so late at night. I called the front desk after it had gone on for a while and was told that the room next door to me flooded earlier and they were in the process of cleaning up the water and would be for a while. I was rather upset that I was given a room next to the loud cleaning so late at night - pretty poor customer service.
There is parking available at the hotel, I can't remember but believe you have to pay, but it's in the attached deck so the walk isn't far.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and for your kind words about our rooms and food service. Please accept my apology for the disturbance next door to your room. It would be very helpful if I could determine the date of your stay with us so that can follow up with my team to ensure that we are not inconveniencing our guests unnecessarily and to discuss how we could avoid similar situations in the future. Please feel free to call or email me personally to review your stay in more detail. Thank you again for providing this valuable feedback.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Everything here was very nice. The hotel was easy to find. Parking was easy and there was no additional charge to park. Several restaurants are within walking distance, I walked to Nana's Uptown and it was very good. I will likely stay here again when I return to Charlotte.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. Just so that you are aware our parking is not complimentary. We do charge $13.00 per night. Safe travels.
Lombard, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights on a recent business trip to Charlotte. The Overall stay was excellent. Loved the falvored water in the lobby which was different every day. The food in the hotel was excellent. Had room service one night and the food was delivered quick and hot. Ate at the bar the other nights and the wait staff was friendly and always had a smile on their face. The only downside to my stay was that the bathroom was a little on the small side and the toliet was almost pushed under the sink and that the room that I was in was facing the street and even though I was on the 7th floor I still heard alot of noise from the cars drving by.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for staying with us. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). We appreciate your comments regarding the bathroom and the noise from the street. This information enables us to look at ways improve. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during a business conference. The property is very clean, contemporary, and well kept. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are exceptionally comfortable. Even the towels are nice and soft, unlike most hotel towels.

Nothing bad to say; this is a very nice hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels.
Waldorf, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here during the CIAA (a big collegiate) basketball tournament event during the last week of February into March. This tournament generates a lot of money for the city of Charlotte and the hotels. Double Tree hotel was clean and the staff were exceptionally polite, professional and friendly. My only complaint is the hotel is not handicapped accessible in my book. The only way to access the hotel is to be dropped off at the main entrance. If you are a handicapped driver you will have to risk taking the garage ramp which in my opinion is not safe for a non handicapped person let alone one who is handicapped. I'm not handicapped but I am sensitive to those who are and after inquiring at the front desk, I was told that the garage ramp was in compliant.

This hotel is not centrally located like some of the other downtown hotels. It would probably take 15 minutes to walk to the core of the downtown area. You better be in good shape and wear sneakers. The terrain is not flat, you will be walking uphill. Thank goodness for the free shuttle bus but beware of it's hour of operation. There are only two elevators in this hotel and this is a pretty big highrise hotel. Cost wise, I'm sure DoubleTree increased their rates to fleece their guests as this was a HUGE weekend event. Would you believe NASCAR guests' cost is cheaper than the $209 we paid per night, NASCAR room rates - $129 and $163/nite which includes 2 tickets to NASCAR Hall of Frame. Example of being fleeced - BIG TIME!!!

The hotel is showing it's age, the tub area needed caulking, the toilet tissue roll is behind the bathroom door, and the room was very warm. We literally had the AC on during a snow showers, yes it snowed while we were in Charlotte!! The rooms are quiet or sound proof to some degree. While in our room, I couldn't hear our toilet flush or the shower running. However, we could hear the cleaning crew outside of the room. There is a charge to use the internet in your room although they claimed if you are a Hilton Honors member it's free. NOT, only free if you are a Gold Honors Member.

The breakfast menu was good. The best part of our stay were the incredible, delectable, delicious, yummy ever so slightly warm melt in your mouth chocolate chip cookies. OMG!! These cookies are scrumptious and addictive. All that was missing was a nice cold glass of milk. The cookies were so good that I purchased a tin to take home. Yummy!!!

Would I stay here again - YES, just for the cookies!

Room Tip: 5th floor was nice but warm
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leland, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely night at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Charlotte. The staff was great and the room was wonderful. This was a much needed getaway for us both!!! The location of the property was close to "Uptown" Charlotte. The room was beautiful and we slept very well. Upon check in and departure the staff provided excellent customer service and some insight to making reservations for special event weekends. From the parking garage to the room, we felt secure and the entire property was very well kept. We will return on any future trips to the area!

Room Tip: Close proximity to Charlotte's Uptown attractions!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy a much needed weekend getaway. We look forward to seeing you again.