DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village
Ranked #26 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here during the CIAA (a big collegiate) basketball tournament event during the last week of February into March. This tournament generates a lot of money for the city of Charlotte and the hotels. Double Tree hotel was clean and the staff were exceptionally polite, professional and friendly. My only complaint is the hotel is not handicapped accessible in my book. The only way to access the hotel is to be dropped off at the main entrance. If you are a handicapped driver you will have to risk taking the garage ramp which in my opinion is not safe for a non handicapped person let alone one who is handicapped. I'm not handicapped but I am sensitive to those who are and after inquiring at the front desk, I was told that the garage ramp was in compliant.

This hotel is not centrally located like some of the other downtown hotels. It would probably take 15 minutes to walk to the core of the downtown area. You better be in good shape and wear sneakers. The terrain is not flat, you will be walking uphill. Thank goodness for the free shuttle bus but beware of it's hour of operation. There are only two elevators in this hotel and this is a pretty big highrise hotel. Cost wise, I'm sure DoubleTree increased their rates to fleece their guests as this was a HUGE weekend event. Would you believe NASCAR guests' cost is cheaper than the $209 we paid per night, NASCAR room rates - $129 and $163/nite which includes 2 tickets to NASCAR Hall of Frame. Example of being fleeced - BIG TIME!!!

The hotel is showing it's age, the tub area needed caulking, the toilet tissue roll is behind the bathroom door, and the room was very warm. We literally had the AC on during a snow showers, yes it snowed while we were in Charlotte!! The rooms are quiet or sound proof to some degree. While in our room, I couldn't hear our toilet flush or the shower running. However, we could hear the cleaning crew outside of the room. There is a charge to use the internet in your room although they claimed if you are a Hilton Honors member it's free. NOT, only free if you are a Gold Honors Member.

The breakfast menu was good. The best part of our stay were the incredible, delectable, delicious, yummy ever so slightly warm melt in your mouth chocolate chip cookies. OMG!! These cookies are scrumptious and addictive. All that was missing was a nice cold glass of milk. The cookies were so good that I purchased a tin to take home. Yummy!!!

Would I stay here again - YES, just for the cookies!

Room Tip: 5th floor was nice but warm
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely night at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Charlotte. The staff was great and the room was wonderful. This was a much needed getaway for us both!!! The location of the property was close to "Uptown" Charlotte. The room was beautiful and we slept very well. Upon check in and departure the staff provided excellent customer service and some insight to making reservations for special event weekends. From the parking garage to the room, we felt secure and the entire property was very well kept. We will return on any future trips to the area!

Room Tip: Close proximity to Charlotte's Uptown attractions!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy a much needed weekend getaway. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. The room was very quiet so I got a good night of sleep. My meetings where in city central so the location wasn't great for me (10-15 minute walk). I would recommend the hotel to anyone who needs a good hotel in uptown Charlotte.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for staying here with us. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is very nice - it's in a quiet location on University grounds, close to public transportation and some amenities - but I'm not a fan of hotels charging for wifi in this day and age. It should be included in the room rate. The fee wasn't that high compared to some places, but still. As for the hotel though, the rooms were comfortable and the lady working at the bar was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area. There's also a very nice bar up the street if that's you're sort of thing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BigTim78
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). In regards to the internet we will forward your comments to our DoubleTree Brand team for them to review. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Doubletree and had a wonderful stay. Hotel is clean and well maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The warm walnut chocolate chip cookies at check-in were a pleasant surprise .

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Your comments about your stay with us made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable (along with our great location). We will keep the cookies warm for you until you return.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel was clean, comfortable and convenient. Just don't eat at the restaurant. On a Friday evening there was very little staff. No one to seat you and no sign directing you to seat yourself. When we finally were seated it took 15 min to get a server and 45 minutes to get our food order. The food was good but cold (probably because it sat around since servers were hard to find). If you are hungry would recommend you eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Terri G
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that your overall impression of our hotel was positive, but am very sorry that your dinner experience was unsatisfactory. I truly appreciate your comments. I have reviewed them with our Food and Beverage Manager and appropriate action has been taken to prevent this from happening in the future. Thank you for your review and please feel free to contact me personally when I may be of service or assistance to you.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past 2 months for business. The first trip, I was there for 2 weeks. A month later, I was there for another week. When I arrived for the second trip, the front desk staff recognized me, making sure there was a refrigerator in my room because they knew I wanted one. I loved the room, the service and exercise room. My only caveat is that they charge $15 for the breakfast buffet, which I find pretty pricey for what is offered. Overall though, I enjoyed my stays. I know I would stay there again even if I weren't on business.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank C_Hall279

Thanks for staying with us. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our Front Desk Team were helpful! I’ll be sure to share your comments with them. See you soon,