“Great except for wifi charge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village
Ranked #28 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Burnaby, BC
“Great except for wifi charge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is very nice - it's in a quiet location on University grounds, close to public transportation and some amenities - but I'm not a fan of hotels charging for wifi in this day and age. It should be included in the room rate. The fee wasn't that high compared to some places, but still. As for the hotel though, the rooms were comfortable and the lady working at the bar was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area. There's also a very nice bar up the street if that's you're sort of thing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BigTim78
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). In regards to the internet we will forward your comments to our DoubleTree Brand team for them to review. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Doubletree and had a wonderful stay. Hotel is clean and well maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The warm walnut chocolate chip cookies at check-in were a pleasant surprise .

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Your comments about your stay with us made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable (along with our great location). We will keep the cookies warm for you until you return.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel was clean, comfortable and convenient. Just don't eat at the restaurant. On a Friday evening there was very little staff. No one to seat you and no sign directing you to seat yourself. When we finally were seated it took 15 min to get a server and 45 minutes to get our food order. The food was good but cold (probably because it sat around since servers were hard to find). If you are hungry would recommend you eat elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Terri G
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that your overall impression of our hotel was positive, but am very sorry that your dinner experience was unsatisfactory. I truly appreciate your comments. I have reviewed them with our Food and Beverage Manager and appropriate action has been taken to prevent this from happening in the future. Thank you for your review and please feel free to contact me personally when I may be of service or assistance to you.
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past 2 months for business. The first trip, I was there for 2 weeks. A month later, I was there for another week. When I arrived for the second trip, the front desk staff recognized me, making sure there was a refrigerator in my room because they knew I wanted one. I loved the room, the service and exercise room. My only caveat is that they charge $15 for the breakfast buffet, which I find pretty pricey for what is offered. Overall though, I enjoyed my stays. I know I would stay there again even if I weren't on business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank C_Hall279
Thanks for staying with us. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our Front Desk Team were helpful! I’ll be sure to share your comments with them. See you soon,
Carrollton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel on business for three nights. It was convenient for my needs but not much else. Yes, the rooms were clean and the staff efficient but that's about all. The restaurant was forgettable with an uninspired menu for dinner and the same breakfast options for the past several years. Seems a pity...the selection of other restaurants in the area is limited so they could keep more guests in the hotel for dinner if they menu were improved. Also, charging for. Wireless connectivity? In a time where each hotel strives to differentiate itself the addition of these, nickel-and-dime-fees is rather off putting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the school.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mike E
Thank you for your review. I am glad that our hotel was convenient for your business needs and that you found our guestrooms clean and our staff efficient. I appreciate your comments regarding our menu selections. We are in the design phase of a new restaurant concept which will not only create a new more inviting space, but with that will come a revamped menu with many local and regional selections. Incidentally, we recently implemented our new Doubletree by Hilton breakfast menus. I hope that you will return and try one of our new items. The Bread Pudding French Toast and the Wake-Up Sliders are awesome! Thank you again for your review and please feel free to contact me directly when I may be of service or assistance to you.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great location, clean rooms and lobby. Spacious room and bathroom. Loved our Valet, Curtis he was so so helpful and professional. He is a real asset! Front Desk staff at check in could have been nicer...but check out staff was great! Check in and out was quick and easy. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your time and the feedback you provided. These comments enable us to improve our guest service and our product. We hope to see you again in the future,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel was great if you're going to a game at the stadium. We were walking distance from the stadium and most of the things in downtown Charlotte. (It is at the edge of downtown, so it is a bit of walk, but that was okay with us).

The hotel was clean and the staff was nice.

The shower head was a little low (tall people beware) and the pillows were flimsy and not very comfortable. Unfortunately we didn't sleep well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Your comments about your stay at our hotel made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable (along with our great location). However we would like to apologize for the comfort issues you experienced with our shower and our pillows. We will be sure to work with our housekeeping team to ensure that all of our pillows are up to standard. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for your review.