“Pretty average but has the potiential to be OUTSTANDING...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village
Ranked #27 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel is by far one of the nicest here in Charlotte, it has beautiful decor and the staff is very friendly. The warm cookies are a plus especially with the kids. I have not tried the breakfast buffet yet but I'm seriously hoping it is a plus as well. I would have given a five star rating but the fact that the room did not have a fridge or microwave was not pleasing to me, for this to be a more upscale establishment I would expect grade A aminities.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thanks for staying with us and sharing your wonderful photos and comments about your stay. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). We do hope to add refrigerators to all of our guestrooms in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here 5 nights in the beginning of June 2012. I had made a reservation a couple of months in advance, and since I am a Hilton Honors member (diamond), I assume that I received a hotel room according to my preferences (high floor, away from elevator). However, I am trying to work out a little more on my business trips, so I requested the bottom-most floor so as not to disturb anyone below me if I chose to work out to a DVD in my room (I brought my own DVD player since the hotel did not have one to rent). My co-workers were placed in high rooms with refridgerators; my new room did not have one. I know that I was the one who asked to be moved, but I just WISH that the desk employees would have informed me of the amenities available in the reserved room that would not be available in the new room. (Turns out, I didn't have time/make time to exercise anyway). Besides my new room not having a mini fridge, it came with the company of a handful of of spiders. EVERY morning (Mon through Friday) I got cozy with the spider or 2 in my shower. In addition to the spiders in my shower, I noticed a larger fat-bodied spider swoop down on his web about 2 feet from my eyes while I was trying to get to bed. My husband said I should have mentioned the spider issue to the hotel manager, and I agree that I should have. But I didn't. I guess I wasn't in the mood to have an exterminator come in to my room & then I would have to deal with those chemical smells. Plus, I am not a fan of killing spiders, so I just deal with them, but someone else may not be so keen on getting so close to these little guys. The room was nicely appointed but it felt a little "damp"--maybe there is a humidity problem? Also, i had a hard time adjusting the temperature control and at times wondered if it was actually working. The bed, as usual, was comfy, and besides the spider webs in the corners, the busy places of the room seemed clean (sink, counter, desk area). I had breakfast every morning and since I just stick to hard boiled eggs and the cold breakfast items, it was fine. My co-workers had the hot items - the scrambled eggs and sausage -- and they said it was "okay". The front desk employees were very friendly but I felt at times that the breakfast ladies were really concerned about whether or not you had that breakfast coupon before you got up to get your first lick of food. The area is a little sketchy a few blocks away. A co-worker and I walked to a nearby Walgreens/CVS type store and had I been by myself, I may have felt more vulnerable. We took a cab to a nearby Harris Teeter to grab snacks and had the cabbie wait outside for us; I think our total cab fare was about $25 for that short trip including the wait time, which I was OK with. All in all, this was a nice property and I am sure I would have been more comfortable had I kept my original reservation.I would probably stay here again for work -- on a different floor -- but I don't think I would stay here again just for fun.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ariel519
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

We apologize for the very unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is extremely important to us and we focus a great deal of our time and attention on them. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and correct any pest situation that might occur. I again apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. We have shared your comments with our team to ensure that the situation has been successfully addressed. Please fee free to contact me in the future should you need anything when in Charlotte.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had an overnight stay here in Charlotte last month to drop my son off for an internship. This Doubletree is very conveniently located to the stadium area so we selected it. The hotel was very nice, fairly recently renovated, rooms were a bit small but it is a downtown hotel. Very courteous check-in staff, made sure we got our cookies and then gave us two more since we had to wait about 10 minutes while they were checking others in.
We were planning to walk into town for dinner, but it started to thunder storm so we had dinner at the restaurant and received very good service. Food is good, not great. But there is a good variety and a nice bar. Breakfast buffet was also very good and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the front of the building and Trade Street and had a nice view. Rooms in th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Your comments about your stay with us made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable (along with our great location). We are delighted to hear the wonderful comments about the service you received from our team. I am happy to announce that we recently upgraded our menu and hope to see you again soon so you can experience the new items.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I booked the hotel via a discount website, so pretty much no matter what we got it would be worth the price I paid. It costs $13 a day to use their parking structure, which is nothing compared to other downtown areas. There are surface lots two blocks from the hotel that are under $5 but in a not so secure area. I enjoy the Doubletree brand and this one lived up to past experiences. Well appointed rooms, handsome common areas, great amenities. This hotel is pretty far from the main bar area, about a 20 minute walk, and you have to walk past some pretty desolate areas. Sedan services does overcharge, but I found that in Uptown, everyone overcharges for cab fare, including the bike cabs. If you don't mind walking around, this is a great place to stay. If you are looking to be right in the action, you may want to pick something closer to the center of Uptown.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte! So glad you were able to experience our authentic DoubleTree hospitality. Thank you for bringing it to our attention about the sedan's overcharging. As we are only 8 blocks from the center of Uptown the sedan should have been $8.00 for 1 to 2 passengers. The sedans do charge extra if they are taking more then 2 passengers. We will work with the sedan company to assure that they are not overcharging our guests. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Get rid of the money hungry sedan drivers at the entrance! Stay away from Access Transportation! $30 bucks for a 10 block ride. Use regular taxis!

Spoke with another driver of this company the next day and asked him how much my ride would be, he stated $12 round trip!

Crooks!

• Stayed: August 2012
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for bringing your concerns regarding the transportation company to our attention. We have reviewed your comments with the owner. We have been affiliated with this company for more than 10 years and they have provided exceptional service. This is largely due to the professionalism and strong customer focus by the owner. We are sure that he will take your comments seriously and will take appropriate action to prevent such behavior in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hotel was fairly well situated though hard for my GPS to find, as there is a turnoff into a tiny lane off W Trade. Maintenance and staff seemed very good. However, this is not a low-end hotel, so my expectation is that everything should be quite good, although not necessarily luxurious. Top on my list of deficiencies was that our bathroom was not equipped with a fan, with the resultant humidity and other problems. Temperature was hard to keep in a comfortable range, with fluctuations between chilly and stuffy. The turnaround in front of the hotel was narrow and always blocked, so check-in in the rain was unpleasant as everything and everyone got soaked. The problem was made worse in that a livery car was always permitted to stand there, occupying half the width. Another car or two in front of the hotel, and there was no passing or using the cover to unload. The (paid) garage had a narrow passage on entry / exit. When you parked and walked back to the hotel, in most cases you had to pass from one covered garage area to another, with just enough exposure that the rain got you again. This may sound picky, but clearly the guest experience had not been carefully thought through. Breakfast was expensive and nothing special. The pool was small but nice and refreshing. So, I'd say it was just OK, despite a very friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JerseyJean
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I booked a king room for our anniversary. We got to our room and it was a double bed room! We called to change it and they said they could not give us a new room they were booked.
The room also smelled so badly of smoke I felt like I could throw up. When I called about that- they told me that our room used to be a smoking room a few months ago. The only thing they could do is come spray the room with toxic chemicals!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank KricePuto
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. Please accept my apology for your requested room type being unavailable upon your arrival. We make every effort to accommodate room type requests, but there are times where circumstances make this impossible. Also, I regret that you had a smoky odor in your guestroom. This hotel has been a 100% smoke free hotel for the past 10 months. However, we still have guests that choose to smoke in our guestrooms. I would very much like to have the opportunity to speak with you to discuss your experience further and possible actions that I can take to improve your perception of our facility. Please feel free to call me directly at 704-227-2800. Thank you.