“Nice Hotel, Great Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village
Ranked #25 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Lititz, Pennsylvania
“Nice Hotel, Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

Great Location, Easy walking distance to many downtown restaurants and pubs.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for choosing to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Charlotte. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

The rooms at the Doubletree are very modern, yet cozy! The bed was amazing and welcoming after a night on the town. My boyfriend and I took a walk to have dinner at the King's Kitchen, which i totally recommend, and summed up the evening with drinks at the bar downstairs at the hotel. It was a wonderful getaway and I can't wait to do it again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your recent visit and for choosing to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Charlotte. We are happy to hear that you and your boyfriend had a wonderful stay. Also we couldn't agree more with the Kings Kitchen recommendation. Thank you for your business and for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Updated hotel with some nice modern touches.

Good bed, sheets and pillows. Also, nice lobby area and excellent front desk staff. Rachel was SUPER helpful when we checked in- friendly and resourceful. We could only get one of our 2 rooms at the time, but she set it up perfectly so when we got back later that night, everything went very quickly! I would definitely pass along to her that she is wonderful if I was her boss!

The breakfast was well below average. Usually a Doubletree or typical 3.5 star hotel has cold cereals and breads to toast as well as danishes, etc.

The air in the rooms is also way too strong. It gets either way too cold or way too hot and blows straight on you. The rooms are relatively small for a city the size of Charlotte. I would think rooms would be a bit bigger. This isn't New York.

As for the area, it is next to JWU. However, there is really nothing right around here. I'd rather stay a mile down the road in the heart of downtown, unless I got a super rate.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Charlotte. I am glad that you enjoyed our facility and service. I will gladly pass your comments on to Rachel. Please accept my apology for any confusion regarding our breakfast buffet. We do offer the Items that you mentioned in your review, but it is located in a different area of the restaurant away from the hot and cold items. I have discussed your comments with our restaurant manager to ensure that our servers are providing this information to our customers who are enjoying our breakfast buffet. In addition, we are in the process of replacing our guestroom heating and cooling units and thermostats with more up-to-date technology which will improve the climate control in our guestrooms. Lastly, I appreciate your comment regarding our surroundings. Many of our guests enjoy being in a neighborhood setting just 8 blocks from the center of Charlotte and the “night life”. They tell us that they appreciated having easy access to restaurants and nightclubs, and they like the fact that we are located far enough away to avoid the late night noise and activity that occurs closer to the venues.
Thank for again for your review and please let me know if I may be of personal assistance to you in the future.
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed here last week (end of Oct 2011). Great location downtown. The hotel sits right next to Johnson and Wales University (culinary school). The hotel (lobby, rooms, etc) looked very recently renovated - all looked very nice and modern. Check-in was easy and enjoyable. Received the delicious cookies on arrival (I ate both as my wife is gluten-free!).

Our room was on the 7th floor. It was very clean and modern. Free USA Today newspaper outside the door each morning. It lacked a mini-fridge, which would have been nice to keep some water and doggie-bags from dinner cold. Also, the bed was way too cushy (soft). Soon after turning in the first night, we got up and jerked the mattress cover off. That helped a bit, but it was still too soft for us. Our room looked over a nice grassy courtyard which sat between the hotel and Johnson and Wales University. It was really neat because 2 of the 3 mornings we were there, an ice-sculpture class was being held around the courtyard. We were mesmerized watching the professor demonstrate how it was done and then watching the students tackle their huge blocks of ice with chisels and (quiet) chainsaws!

The location of the hotel was convenient. It was right off the interstate (exit 10 off I-77). You can tell that the area is in the process being renewed (I'm sure that J&W has brought lots of life and energy to the area). Had to pay for parking in the garage under the hotel, which was drag, but no biggie. Charlotte has 2 nice, clean, FREE trolleys/shuttles that run the length of two major streets downtown (Uptown). There is a stop for the red line trolley (runs up and down Trade Street) right in front of the hotel. You can get on there and be in the heart of the city in 2 minutes or less! Very nice - a definite perk!

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at this Doubletree. Without a doubt, we'd return. Charlotte is a fun city to visit (we tried living there for 2 yrs, but it didn't agree with us) with lots to do and see and it has some great restaurants, too.

Robbie
Charleston, SC

Room Tip: Ask for a room (preferably on a higher floor) that overlooks the grassy courtyard between the hotel...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and also enjoyed the city. We hope to see you soon.
Anderson,SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Doubletree Gateway Village Saturday night. We went to the Carolina Panthers game on 10-30-11. The hotel was renovated since our last stay and looks nice. The hotel was rather clean but need to work on cleaning behind the door in bathroom. The room was ok (no refidgerator or microwave) and no water etc. in room (our travel mates had water/microwave and ridge in their room). The bed was great. The front staff was ok. We are Hilton gold members and had to ask for our free breakfast vouchers and were not offered any room upgrades. We will stay here again (we have stayed here numerous times) but only due to the close proximity to the stadium.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy to hear that you like the improvements we have made. We do apologize for not making your stay as GREAT as we should have been. We are taking the necessary steps to improve on the items mentioned. On your next trip to Charlotte please feel free to contact me directly so that I can be sure that your stay with us is the TRUE DoubleTree experience. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and I planned a trip to see the Charlotte Panthers. We tried our luck with the downtown Doubletree. We could not be happier! Easy check-in. Delicious warm homemade chocolate chip cookie! Yum! Clean modern room with great view. Super location to the stadium! We cannot wait for our neext trip to Charlotte and another stay at the Doubletree!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted that you "tried your luck" with us and enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms. It is always a pleasure to welcome new vistors to the Doubletree by Hilton Charlotte family. Our guest service team and I truly look forward to your next visit. Until then we will keep the cookies warm for you.
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

Nice well kept property, but get ready to be nickled and dimed for everything (parking, internet access etc). Rooms are clean, bright and updated with great workspace. Hotel is located in downtown adjacent to Johnson & Wales University; several robberies have occurred in the past few weeks, so I would be cautious about walking at night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response and for your comments. I regret that our charges for parking and internet access left a bad impression. It is very important to me that our pricing for these services be competitive with similar full service hotels in the market. I will update my research to ensure that these charges are in line and make any necessary adjustments. Also, I am aware of only one alleged robbery in recent months in the Gateway Village area. I understand that after investigation that authorities believe that this robbery actually occurred in an area of the city other than Gateway Village. However, I do agree with you that everyone should use good judgment when walking in any urban area at night. Lastly, thank you for your comments regarding our guestrooms. I am very proud of the outcome of our recent renovation and am glad that you enjoyed the improvements. Please feel free to contact me personally if I maybe of service to you in the future.