“Hampton Inn, Charlotte, NC”

Hampton Inn University Place
Ranked #55 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Easter weekend was booked up for weeks prior. Need place for family. Also Mustang show @ speedway. Double Whammy! Not the most time to show case this facility. Even as a HHonors member, I felt ignored. The construction and the speeding thru the parking lot, only distracted from the stay. Room was clean and ok. Lobby was nice with coffee available. Never got a clear check-out; needed to call to make certain desk knew we checked out before 11Am. Never got to use any amenities or benefit from the HHonors.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
T G, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Charlotte. As always we strive to make all our guests visits comfortable and enjoyable. I am sorry that the Easter weekend events at the racetrack and the rail construction were distracting. The Mustang event was a 50th Anniversary which drew an extremely large crowd. Rail construction will continue along the street in front of the hotel for the next 2 years until completion. This project will allow access to downtown and the South Park area of the city making it convenient to access events in this area. We are extremely excited about this addition to the city of Charlotte. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again should you return to the area.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

After deciding at the last minute (about 7 pm) to stay overnight in Charlotte, I called several Hamptons to check availability and prices. I am a AAA member, so I use that to get discounts whenever possible. The first Hampton I called said they had disabled AAA discounts for the night. The woman that answered at the second Hampton immediately transferred me to the 800-number for reservations which is not who I wanted to talk to so I hung up. When I called this Hampton, I spoke with a very polite man (Trey I think?) who offered me the AAA discount, looked up my Hilton Honors membership number, and gave me the choice of a high or low floor. When I arrived about 10:30, Trey was at the front desk with another employee (unfortunately I didn't get his name). They got me checked in quickly and gave me a brief overview of hotel information. I was very impressed with their courtesy and they made me feel very welcome.
The room and bathroom was spacious, clean, and quiet.
Breakfast offerings consisted of waffles, eggs, pastries, cereal, fruit, yogurt, and several frozen items such as sandwiches and pancakes. The food was good and the seating area was large and clean.
Check-out was quick and easy.
This was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. I will definitely go back the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2014

When I arrived, at 10:30am, my room was ready and I had no trouble checking in. When I got to my room it was clean but my pillows did not have cases. The front desk immediately sent someone up. Come to find out they were replacing all pillows with new ones so that was a bonus!! The staff at this hotel were all very pleasant and helpful. The front desk manager, Thomas Wright , was the most delightful, professional person I have ever encountered while traveling.

Room Tip: We always choose top floor, if it's not too high.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Enjoyable stay. In town for 2 nights during the January snow event. The room was cozy, met my needs and was very clean. Plenty of restaurants are in the area. The morning breakfast was good and hit the spot. Traffic was not bad to and from the airport. I definitely would stay here again when I'm in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2014

A good stay, clean room, comfortable bed. No issues. Breakfast was worse than other Hampton Inns, with nothing hot except waffles and Jimmy Dean type sandwiches to heat up in microwave. They did have fruit. Parking lot dirty and unwelcoming.

I would stay here again for a simple basic comfortable place to sleep. Not worth the price however if I had to pay out of my own pocket. Was overall a bit disappointed compared to last time I stayed at a much better Hampton Inn in another state.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
T G, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your follow up regarding your stay. I am glad that our rooms met your expectations. I apologize that the breakfast was not to your standards. We are currently changing over to the refreshing breakfast program that is being implemented for all Hampton Inns unfortunately we have not completed the process but do expect to in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you will afford us the opportunity to host you again should you return to the Charlotte area.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

A most pleasant stay with great staff. Located in an excellent portion of the Charlotte/Concord area close to the Lowes Motor Speedway. What more can I say, highly recommend. I am trying to come up with more to satisfy this review, but they insist on a minimum of 200 characters. So here it is!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is a typical Hampton -- nothing extraordinary and nothing bad. The hotel is clean, except for the entrance area in the parking lot which is littered with cigarette butts from everyone smoking and throwing their butt ends in the driveways. Lastly, what every happened to the hot breakfasts that Hampton once served? Many, including this one, have changed from serving cooked eggs (even if they were ordinary scrambled eggs) and not having hot breakfast sandwiches which are stale.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
T G, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Charlotte University. I will definitely share your comments with my staff as we are always looking for ways to ensure that our product is at its best. Regarding the breakfast, we are in the process of upgrading our selections to include hot items and hope to have this completed within the next month. Thank you again and we hope that you will consider us should you return to the Charlotte area.