“Convenient, but not the nicest location.”

Hampton Inn University Place
Ranked #58 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Eatonton, Georgia
“Convenient, but not the nicest location.”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel is a little older and it seems to be near the edge of a bad area, yet it's conveniently located to highways, shopping, restaurants, the university, speedway etc. The TV reception, and the number and location of outlets, was poor. If you're there on business, there is only a table, not a desk with a work chair. The fitness center, located near the elevator, doesn't open until 6AM, which was too late for my schedule, so I was unable to use it; however, it had 2 treadmills, 1 eliptical, 1 stair climber and a balance ball. A free breakfast buffet is open 6-10, but I didn't eat there. Vending machines are on floors 1, 3 & 6 for snacks and every floor for soda. The pool is open 9AM-10PM. Valet laundry is available M-F - out by 8AM and in by 6PM. I didn't receive a USA Today the first morning. Check-in was very busy. Although there were 2 clerks, one was new and in training. Next time in the area, I would probably try someplace else, although I didn't have a bad experience.

Room Tip: 6 floors. End of hall "00" & "03" and "25" & "26". N...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Steve C, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear DeeDee134,
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor. We will be going through a room renovation starting in March and we are adding outlets and the new features will be business friendly. We do make exception if you need to use our workout facility earlier than 6AM.
I wish the next time your in the area please give me a call and give us another try so we can show you are Hamptonality.
Thanks for staying with us.
704-548-0905

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Carrboro, North Carolina
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I did not care for this Hampton. The food was terrible. The coffee was putrid; I went to Starbucks to drink my coffee which in essence added $5 to my fare. In addition, I asked for a bottle opener at the desk; they did not have one. So, I went shopping for one which added another $4 to my fare!
The hotel advertises that it is into recycling and reusing. Until you get to the breakfast...Meals are served on styrofoam which is a known carcinogen and pollutes the landfills. It does not decompose!
The meal options were mostly white breads and pastries, rubbery eggs and high fat sausage and other options. The only whole grain options were raisin bran and gloppy oatmeal. YUK. I was afraid to eat the melon offered since who knows what preservatives were in them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Newsmediamajor,
Thank you very much for your response on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry for the problems you encountered at my hotel. We are working on improving our food choices at breakfast. I will work on getting better products that are biodegradable.
I wish you would give us another try in the future and see if we can do better.
Powder Springs, Georgia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was a little disappointed with my stay at the Hampton Inn. Usually have a great experience anytime I stay at the one in Ohio, but not this time. Our hotel room seemed very humid. So humid that the floor actually felt a little damp. Also true in my mothers room across the hall. Our room was never cleaned...we returned from our trip to Carowinds to find our room had not been touched, towels never replaced, bed was untouched. When I called to get more towels, I had to go down to the front desk to get them and they didn't give us the wash clothes. Breakfast could have been better...also. So, next time I'm in Charlotte, I will be staying somewhere else.

1 Thank Ymontgomery128
Steve C, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Ymontgomery128,
I am so sorry for the problems you had at our hotel. We are a new management team at the Hampton Inn are looking into the humidity issues at the hotel.
Again, I am so sorry for your experience and I hope you can give us another try in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed here on last night in Charlotte. It was very clean and comfortable. Location was easy to find and had a great night sleep. Staff friendly. Only had problem with business center. We were not abe to print out boarding passes and seems like this was ongoing problem for hotel staff. Good breakfast.

Salem, Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here because it was close to the IKEA store. No problems, the room was typically what I would expect from a Hampton Inn. Comfy bed, clean and attractive room. Convenient location for shopping and dining.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king room on the sixth floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I searched and searched for a good hotel in Charlotte. I had never been and wasn't sure if staying in the University area would be far away from all the sites, but it was great. Only took about 15 minutes to get downtown. There are also many good restaurants and shopping close by. The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is also close by, which is great.

The room was clean and comfy. The service from the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was the best hotel breakfast I've ever had! Lots to choose from! (The only problem being trying to find a seat some mornings because of the crowds.) They even have cookies throughout the day.

Free parking and always easy to find a spot.

Wi-fi in the rooms worked well.

I would definitely stay here again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Summation: all three rooms we were shown we're filthy. Hair grease all over one headboard with no towels stocked; stained duvet covers with wrinkled sheets and no towels in the second, and just no towels with streakily clean room in the third. This was three rooms on two different floors that were not clean. One young man at the front desk was trying to keep up with the line of people checking in and the manager was around the corner; she lifted not one finger to help him. People kept mentioning that the cookie tray was empty and the desk person made no attempt to refill it. Worst Hampton Inn ever. Do not use it!

Stayed August 2012
Dear MKWMD,
I am very sorry for the bad experience you had at the hotel. Sorry for the late response we are a new management team taking over the Hampton Inn. There is no excuse for the poor experience you had at the Hampton Inn. We have really made some nice changes to the housekeeping department and the hotel in general.
I really wish you would give us another try and I would be happy to show you the improvements.