Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park
Ranked #56 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed October 20, 2012

One of the best parts about this hotel was the staff. They were very friendly and helpful. They had a hot breakfast every morning I was there which was very good. Some great choices to make. They would also service dinner M-F which both the Breakfast and dinner were included in the price of the room. These three components made the stay nice. The room itself was much older more like an older apartment building. The walls, floor and ceiling were VERY thin and you heard everything people would say do, walk around on the floor and many other things in their room. Made sleep extremely difficult. No desk in the room so doing a lot of work on the computer didn't work very well. The rooms did have a nice refrigerator, microwave, dishes and such which helped to be able to fix things if you wanted something different or unique for your tastes. There was a small table, but the chairs were more like kitchen type chairs so again working at a computer was that great. However, if it were a place you wanted to go to for family fun, it would be a nice place as it did have a pool and weight room. Not being able to get a good night's sleep is why I rated this hotel average at best. However as you can see there were many good points.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
tien n, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

I would first and foremost like to thank you for your stay and review of our wonderful hotel. As you may have seen during your stay, we are under renovation an improving the very things addressed in your review. We here are sincerely apologetic for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay. However, we definitely want to invite you back at your leisure see what all that noise was about!

At Your Service,

Courtney D. Rice, Assistant General Manager

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park

Reviewed September 12, 2012

The suite was really nice, but everything was so noisy: From the air conditioning to the thin walls and ceiling to the buses parked outside during the DNC Convention.

The nightly dinners were great. The rooms were clean and well furnished. Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Try and get a suite near the lake and far from the road and parking areas.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Courtney R, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

I do thank you first and foremost for your honest review. I would like for you to know that the buses were just as much as a surprise to us, as to many other guest. However, after one complaint [maybe from you?], we asked all bus drivers to turn off their engines off while they were waiting and it worked to a great extent. Since your stay with us we have under gone a minor renovation which tackled the majority of your concerns.

Once again, we thank you and “Welcome You Home”, anytime!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

safe, clean, great breakfast and DINNER mon-thurs evenings. nice pool and workout room, very convenient to downtown charlotte and 2 nice malls. free access to a nearby gym with all the workout equipment. lots of well lit, safe parking.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
tien n, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Flathman,

My name is Tien Ning and I am the general manager at the Homewood Suites – Charlotte / University and I wanted to take a few moments to thank you for taking your time to fill out a review concerning your stay. I am very pleased to read that you had a satisfying stay with us. Through our staff and amenities – we try our best to make you, as our guest, feel comfortable and most at home while you are here on business or for leisurely purposes. On behalf of all of us here, we would like to thank you for your positive review and look forward to hosting you in the near future once more. If you need any assistance booking a reservation, do not hesitate to contact me directly. The same applies to any questions, concerns, or comments you may have. Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences with us and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were referred to this location by a friend. We staying in a king suite. We had a door in our room which took us right to the pool. The room was clean. The bed was comfortable! The pillows were awesome...so awesome I just ordered 2 from the Homewood Suites Collection. The parking was good, customer service was excellent, and the price was affordable. I saw some ratings that said it had seen its better days... I disagree. Completely satisfied and will stay when we return back to Charlotte.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
tien n, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear April M,

I am Tien Ning the general manager here at Homewood Suites – Charlotte / University and I wanted to take a few moments to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review for hotels.com. As you may have noticed from previous reviews, we do take these seriously and we always strive to make sure your stay here is comfortable and easy. We have a great team and I am extremely pleased that our staff and amenities were able to provide you with an excellent stay with us.

When you return to the Charlotte area, please contact me directly so I can assist you in making your reservation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to hosting you once more.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

we stayed at this hotel based on a last minute reservation without a lot of time to research alternatives. We got a King bed suite for $40 + 12,500 of our Hilton Honors reward points. So the price was right.
This hotel has seen it's better days, the exterior is pretty run down, the rooms you can see have had a lot of "patch repairs" here and there, however you can tell they are actively maintaining it to an acceptable standard. The room was moderately clean, the bed was comfortable enough.
Overall the hotel is a 5/10 scale, don't expect to be wow'd, just expect it to be old, somewhat run down however clean. Breakfast area was very small, crowded, not a lot of room to move around to get your food, the room is much too small for the number of guests trying to get their breakfast. The food was good though, fresh, didn't look like leftovers.
If you are used to 4 star hotels, then this place will disappoint you, however if you want something better than a Motel 6, but don't want to pay too much money, this may suit you.
The water in the pool looked somewhat cloudy and grim, didn't let the kids jump in.

Room Tip: Get a room close to where you will be parking, there are some sketchy characters roaming around the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
tien n, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Cooldadmark,

I am Tien Ning, the general manager at Homewood Suites – Charlotte / University and I must apologize for this late response as we have been very busy lately; we are working on setting up our plans to renovate all buildings on our property – very exciting yet very time consuming! As you may have noticed on my previous responses, I have mentioned that we are constantly striving to meet and remain up to par with Hilton standards – standards that you as a guest should uphold and expect when staying at a Hilton. Since your expectations were not met and experienced several inconveniences, I must apologize as your stay was not as comfortable as we all would have hoped. Your review of our hotel provides great insight as to what we can do here at Homewood Suites to provide a better stay for not only you but our future guests as well. So for that, as a valued guest here, I do thank you for taking your time to complete this review on tripadvisor.

In regards to your review, I do have several aspects that must be addressed as these are very important. Once again, as you may have read with previous reviews, we are still in the process of sorting out our plans to renovate our exteriors of the buildings. As noted, we are going forward with plans to repaint the exteriors of all buildings here on the property, the pressure washing of all walkways and buildings, replacement of faulty screens, doors, and windows, overhaul of the pool area, and the addition of brand new carpets for our rooms and hallways. This will require a vast amount of time but we are sure we can accomplish it with no issue. I do hope that we have a chance to host you again once we are complete with the revamping of the exterior aesthetics of our property. However, that stated, I am extremely glad that you did take the time to observe that we are always striving to maintain those Hilton standards and working our way through these minor setbacks. In addition to this, I would also like to note that even though the breakfast area was quite cramped during your stay I am happy to know that breakfast was quite satisfactory.

Once again, I thank you for taking your time for filling out this review for TripAdvisor. As without such information, we would not know what needs work and improvements – your feedback is much appreciated. As a guest of Hilton and a member of our honors program, you are a very valued guest and I know that there are certain expectations that you adhere to. It is here where I must apologize once again as these expectations were not met during your stay – however, once we are complete with our renovations, we hope you grant us another opportunity to stay with us. If you are ever in the Charlotte area again and need a place to stay, do not hesitate to contact me directly as I will personally oversee your reservation and stay are more than satisfactory the second time around. In addition, you are more than welcome to contact me with any questions, concerns, or comments you have regarding your previous or future stays.

Tien.ning@hilton.com

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed here two nights for a lacrosse tournament. Paid $215 a night,( which is way more than we usually pay for these type of places) we needed a two bedrooms suite since we had four kids traveling with us. Looked great on the web site. We pulled up and my kids said... "Is this the right place?" Not a good sign...

Cons: we arrived at 4pm for a 3pm check in. Room was not ready. Were told not to go to the room until we received a call from from desk. Finally after waiting another hour, I went to the room and knocked to see when housekeeping would be out....Finally got in after five pm! Got call from the front desk at 6pm saying room was ready.....gee, thanks.

All rooms open directly to the outside, no internal hallways. We were on the first floor and had multiple windows and doors which opened right onto sidewalk and parking lot. Gaps in one door in one of the bedrooms meant you could see outside! Freaked my kids out, we double bolted the door and put a chair under the doorknob. Windows right next to the bed which meant you felt anyone could have broken in no problem. You also heard and saw the shadows of people coming and going all night long.

A lot of money! For $215 a night, i expected a safer feeling place to stay. There were multiple sports events that weekend so rooms were scarce.

Filthy outside. The sidewalk outside our door looked like someone had thrown up. Multiple dried puddles all over the walkway of who know what. A power washer would have taken care of these in minutes. Old faded paint and spider webs all over the outside. The place looks like it needs a serious sprucing up. Lots of the screens on the windows were not secured and hanging off in one corner.

Paper thin ceilings. The second night another family checked in above us. The floor creaked every step they took, we could hear their conversations, coins dropping, tv on, and they were night owls....so no sleep the second night.

Pros- The front lobby is clean and pleasant and the front desk guy was very apologetic and nice about the delay in the check in, saying a bunch of people had just checked out but a two hour delay is ridiculous.

Beds were very comfortable. Rooms were really big, the bathrooms are updated and clean. Kitchenette with big fridge good if you are there for a while.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay on the first floor if you want a good nights sleep. We stayed way in the back, so no tra...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Alicia67,
My name is Tien Ning, general manager of the Homewood Suites – Charlotte/University. I am writing to you in regards to your recent review on trip advisor. I want to start out by making a quick note that here at Homewood Suites, it is our goal to provide the best service and accommodations for all of our guests and to maintain those Hilton standards one would expect. Since you did not experience this, I greatly apologize to you and your family for your inconveniences pertaining to your previous stay. I also appreciate you taking your time to fill out this survey as I do use these to figure out what we can improve on in order to procure a better stay for future guests and for, hopefully, a return stay by you and your family.
In reference to your review, I would like to note that we are currently in the beginning stages of a very large overhaul of all three buildings on our property. Although we are an older hotel, we are always striving to keep all amenities and aesthetics up to par with Hilton standards. In this pursuit, which began in 2010, we had completely renovated all interiors of our three buildings and lobby. We are now finally reaching the stages that include a major renovation of our exteriors of the buildings. I do completely understand your concerns regarding your previous stay and we are currently working to address all of those. These include the painting, the replacement of screens, windows, and doors that are in need of repair, and the pressure washing / cleaning of all buildings and pathways on our property. In addition to this, we are going to replace all of the carpets in the rooms and hallways.
I would just like to reiterate, though, that when you stay at a Hilton, there are certain expectations you have and very well should have and because we did not exceed your expectations I again apologize to you. You are a very valued guest to us and we greatly appreciate your business. I must once again thank you for your feedback from your previous stay as it brought to our attention aspects of our hotel that we need to work on – we are continually working on maintaining those Hilton standards. Without your feedback, we would not know what we can improve on and for this reason, I highly value your responses. I do hope that we will have another opportunity to host you and your family. I will personally make sure that you are in a well equipped room and that your room will be ready on time for your arrival. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Staying here while buying a house in Charlotte. I moved hear from an extended stay hotel on the South Side of town and it is a HUGE improvement. Free dinner M-Th and Free breakfast every day more than make up the $10 more daily rate. The place is like a small apartment complex on a lake. You dont have to enter and exit through a lobby. There is every kind of restauraunt, store and bar within 2 miles and its not that far from uptown.

Room Tip: Get one facing the lake. Super private.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business