“charlotte hotel - great place - great staff”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park
Ranked #55 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Charleston, South Carolina
“charlotte hotel - great place - great staff”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

safe, clean, great breakfast and DINNER mon-thurs evenings. nice pool and workout room, very convenient to downtown charlotte and 2 nice malls. free access to a nearby gym with all the workout equipment. lots of well lit, safe parking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
tien n, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Flathman,

My name is Tien Ning and I am the general manager at the Homewood Suites – Charlotte / University and I wanted to take a few moments to thank you for taking your time to fill out a review concerning your stay. I am very pleased to read that you had a satisfying stay with us. Through our staff and amenities – we try our best to make you, as our guest, feel comfortable and most at home while you are here on business or for leisurely purposes. On behalf of all of us here, we would like to thank you for your positive review and look forward to hosting you in the near future once more. If you need any assistance booking a reservation, do not hesitate to contact me directly. The same applies to any questions, concerns, or comments you may have. Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences with us and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Tien.Ning@Hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Marion, Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were referred to this location by a friend. We staying in a king suite. We had a door in our room which took us right to the pool. The room was clean. The bed was comfortable! The pillows were awesome...so awesome I just ordered 2 from the Homewood Suites Collection. The parking was good, customer service was excellent, and the price was affordable. I saw some ratings that said it had seen its better days... I disagree. Completely satisfied and will stay when we return back to Charlotte.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
tien n, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear April M,

I am Tien Ning the general manager here at Homewood Suites – Charlotte / University and I wanted to take a few moments to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review for hotels.com. As you may have noticed from previous reviews, we do take these seriously and we always strive to make sure your stay here is comfortable and easy. We have a great team and I am extremely pleased that our staff and amenities were able to provide you with an excellent stay with us.

When you return to the Charlotte area, please contact me directly so I can assist you in making your reservation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to hosting you once more.

cooldadmark
Reviewed July 5, 2012

we stayed at this hotel based on a last minute reservation without a lot of time to research alternatives. We got a King bed suite for $40 + 12,500 of our Hilton Honors reward points. So the price was right.
This hotel has seen it's better days, the exterior is pretty run down, the rooms you can see have had a lot of "patch repairs" here and there, however you can tell they are actively maintaining it to an acceptable standard. The room was moderately clean, the bed was comfortable enough.
Overall the hotel is a 5/10 scale, don't expect to be wow'd, just expect it to be old, somewhat run down however clean. Breakfast area was very small, crowded, not a lot of room to move around to get your food, the room is much too small for the number of guests trying to get their breakfast. The food was good though, fresh, didn't look like leftovers.
If you are used to 4 star hotels, then this place will disappoint you, however if you want something better than a Motel 6, but don't want to pay too much money, this may suit you.
The water in the pool looked somewhat cloudy and grim, didn't let the kids jump in.

Room Tip: Get a room close to where you will be parking, there are some sketchy characters roaming around the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
tien n, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Cooldadmark,

I am Tien Ning, the general manager at Homewood Suites – Charlotte / University and I must apologize for this late response as we have been very busy lately; we are working on setting up our plans to renovate all buildings on our property – very exciting yet very time consuming! As you may have noticed on my previous responses, I have mentioned that we are constantly striving to meet and remain up to par with Hilton standards – standards that you as a guest should uphold and expect when staying at a Hilton. Since your expectations were not met and experienced several inconveniences, I must apologize as your stay was not as comfortable as we all would have hoped. Your review of our hotel provides great insight as to what we can do here at Homewood Suites to provide a better stay for not only you but our future guests as well. So for that, as a valued guest here, I do thank you for taking your time to complete this review on tripadvisor.

In regards to your review, I do have several aspects that must be addressed as these are very important. Once again, as you may have read with previous reviews, we are still in the process of sorting out our plans to renovate our exteriors of the buildings. As noted, we are going forward with plans to repaint the exteriors of all buildings here on the property, the pressure washing of all walkways and buildings, replacement of faulty screens, doors, and windows, overhaul of the pool area, and the addition of brand new carpets for our rooms and hallways. This will require a vast amount of time but we are sure we can accomplish it with no issue. I do hope that we have a chance to host you again once we are complete with the revamping of the exterior aesthetics of our property. However, that stated, I am extremely glad that you did take the time to observe that we are always striving to maintain those Hilton standards and working our way through these minor setbacks. In addition to this, I would also like to note that even though the breakfast area was quite cramped during your stay I am happy to know that breakfast was quite satisfactory.

Once again, I thank you for taking your time for filling out this review for TripAdvisor. As without such information, we would not know what needs work and improvements – your feedback is much appreciated. As a guest of Hilton and a member of our honors program, you are a very valued guest and I know that there are certain expectations that you adhere to. It is here where I must apologize once again as these expectations were not met during your stay – however, once we are complete with our renovations, we hope you grant us another opportunity to stay with us. If you are ever in the Charlotte area again and need a place to stay, do not hesitate to contact me directly as I will personally oversee your reservation and stay are more than satisfactory the second time around. In addition, you are more than welcome to contact me with any questions, concerns, or comments you have regarding your previous or future stays.

Tien.ning@hilton.com
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed here two nights for a lacrosse tournament. Paid $215 a night,( which is way more than we usually pay for these type of places) we needed a two bedrooms suite since we had four kids traveling with us. Looked great on the web site. We pulled up and my kids said... "Is this the right place?" Not a good sign...

Cons: we arrived at 4pm for a 3pm check in. Room was not ready. Were told not to go to the room until we received a call from from desk. Finally after waiting another hour, I went to the room and knocked to see when housekeeping would be out....Finally got in after five pm! Got call from the front desk at 6pm saying room was ready.....gee, thanks.

All rooms open directly to the outside, no internal hallways. We were on the first floor and had multiple windows and doors which opened right onto sidewalk and parking lot. Gaps in one door in one of the bedrooms meant you could see outside! Freaked my kids out, we double bolted the door and put a chair under the doorknob. Windows right next to the bed which meant you felt anyone could have broken in no problem. You also heard and saw the shadows of people coming and going all night long.

A lot of money! For $215 a night, i expected a safer feeling place to stay. There were multiple sports events that weekend so rooms were scarce.

Filthy outside. The sidewalk outside our door looked like someone had thrown up. Multiple dried puddles all over the walkway of who know what. A power washer would have taken care of these in minutes. Old faded paint and spider webs all over the outside. The place looks like it needs a serious sprucing up. Lots of the screens on the windows were not secured and hanging off in one corner.

Paper thin ceilings. The second night another family checked in above us. The floor creaked every step they took, we could hear their conversations, coins dropping, tv on, and they were night owls....so no sleep the second night.

Pros- The front lobby is clean and pleasant and the front desk guy was very apologetic and nice about the delay in the check in, saying a bunch of people had just checked out but a two hour delay is ridiculous.

Beds were very comfortable. Rooms were really big, the bathrooms are updated and clean. Kitchenette with big fridge good if you are there for a while.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay on the first floor if you want a good nights sleep. We stayed way in the back, so no tra...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Alicia67,
My name is Tien Ning, general manager of the Homewood Suites – Charlotte/University. I am writing to you in regards to your recent review on trip advisor. I want to start out by making a quick note that here at Homewood Suites, it is our goal to provide the best service and accommodations for all of our guests and to maintain those Hilton standards one would expect. Since you did not experience this, I greatly apologize to you and your family for your inconveniences pertaining to your previous stay. I also appreciate you taking your time to fill out this survey as I do use these to figure out what we can improve on in order to procure a better stay for future guests and for, hopefully, a return stay by you and your family.
In reference to your review, I would like to note that we are currently in the beginning stages of a very large overhaul of all three buildings on our property. Although we are an older hotel, we are always striving to keep all amenities and aesthetics up to par with Hilton standards. In this pursuit, which began in 2010, we had completely renovated all interiors of our three buildings and lobby. We are now finally reaching the stages that include a major renovation of our exteriors of the buildings. I do completely understand your concerns regarding your previous stay and we are currently working to address all of those. These include the painting, the replacement of screens, windows, and doors that are in need of repair, and the pressure washing / cleaning of all buildings and pathways on our property. In addition to this, we are going to replace all of the carpets in the rooms and hallways.
I would just like to reiterate, though, that when you stay at a Hilton, there are certain expectations you have and very well should have and because we did not exceed your expectations I again apologize to you. You are a very valued guest to us and we greatly appreciate your business. I must once again thank you for your feedback from your previous stay as it brought to our attention aspects of our hotel that we need to work on – we are continually working on maintaining those Hilton standards. Without your feedback, we would not know what we can improve on and for this reason, I highly value your responses. I do hope that we will have another opportunity to host you and your family. I will personally make sure that you are in a well equipped room and that your room will be ready on time for your arrival. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Aubnurn Hills, MI
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Staying here while buying a house in Charlotte. I moved hear from an extended stay hotel on the South Side of town and it is a HUGE improvement. Free dinner M-Th and Free breakfast every day more than make up the $10 more daily rate. The place is like a small apartment complex on a lake. You dont have to enter and exit through a lobby. There is every kind of restauraunt, store and bar within 2 miles and its not that far from uptown.

Room Tip: Get one facing the lake. Super private.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
lancaster,pa
Reviewed June 11, 2012

HOTEL IS A LITTLE BEHIND THE TIMES IN DECOR that being said it was clean,comfortable bed,all the staff were friendly and helpful Free breakfast was outstanding(waffles with fresh strawberries,blueberries and pecan bits)pool area was clean with nice loungers.the lobby area where we had breakfast was fantastic.

Room Tip: was close to speedway,concord shopping mall and hendrick motorsports complex
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Campbell, California
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stay at about 20-25 Hilton properties per year so my standards may be a little high. However, as a HHonors Gold member, I requested a non-smoking room about a week in advance; however, when I arrived, I was told all non-smoking rooms were filled and they had moved me to a smoking 2 bedroom suite.

First and foremost, there seems to be two sides to this hotel as some are reporting fantastic conditions; however, where I was situated seemed to be in rough shape. I was in Room 203 and that side had faded paint with the walkways having paint scratching all over. The carpet in the room also had stains on it which was a little off-putting.

Secondly, the hot water in the shower was in very short supply. In fact, I had to start my shower in one of the bathrooms and then move to a second bathroom to finish showering.

Third, if you're planning to come back to this property around rush hour, please make sure to note that this hotel is on a very busy street. Getting from the highway to this hotel (~0.5mi) can take up to 20 mins as there is a lot of congestion.

Fourth, I had to turn off the A/C in the room as whatever was coming out of the vents was setting off my allergies.

On the positive side, the staff here is excellent and I had no issues. They were very helpful when I was in a rush to get to a meeting and there was no coffee. They went out of the way and got me some fresh brew from the kitchen.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 203
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear munjalm,
My name is Tien Ning and I am the general manager here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton – Charlotte/University. I am writing to you in response to the review that you had filled out on trip advisor in reference to your previous stay. I wanted to thank you for taking your time to write a review because I know how these can be very time consuming and being a gold member, I understand you must travel a lot meaning you are very busy. So once again, thank you. Without your feedback, we would not know what we need to improve on. Here at Homewood Suites, it is our goal to provide the best service and accommodations for all of our guests and to maintain those Hilton standards one would expect. Since you did not experience this, I greatly apologize to you and for your inconveniences relating to your last stay.
I would like to just use this time to address a few of the issues that you listed in your review. Since 2010, we have been undergoing very large renovations which began with the interiors of the rooms. We are currently still in the process of the renovations and are now beginning our stretch to update the exteriors of our buildings, even including some interior renovations. As you noted and I have observed, the exteriors of the buildings are in need of a makeover. In order to fulfill this and remain up to par with Hilton standards, we are improving several aspects of our property. These include (but are not limited to), the painting of all buildings on our property, the repair of any windows / screens / doors that are not in shape, the pressure washing and cleaning of our pathways / buildings, the replacement of all carpets in our buildings, and the replacement of our hot water heaters. This is going to take some time but we are sure that once they are finished, we will have achieved the expectations of a Hilton brand hotel. However, I must take the time to apologize as our lack of these improvements did not create a comfortable stay for you. Also, I have spoken with the front desk staff in order to prevent any future occurrences of a guest requesting a non-smoking room but placed in a smoking room.
As a gold member, you are a very valued guest to us and we greatly appreciate your business. I must once again thank you for your feedback from your previous stay as it brought to our attention aspects of our hotel that we need to work on – we are continually working on maintaining those Hilton standards. This feedback, without your provision, could remain unnoticed and make the stay less than desirable for other guests, therefore, I do highly thank you for your time. We hope to have another opportunity to host you in the near future and if you return after our renovations are complete, I know you will be very satisfied with your stay. In the mean time, if you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please feel free to contact me directly. Once again, I apologize as we did not meet your expectations but do hope to have you stay with us another time.