“Great Place to stay in Charlotte long term” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park

Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park
Ranked #48 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Aubnurn Hills, MI
“Great Place to stay in Charlotte long term”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Staying here while buying a house in Charlotte. I moved hear from an extended stay hotel on the South Side of town and it is a HUGE improvement. Free dinner M-Th and Free breakfast every day more than make up the $10 more daily rate. The place is like a small apartment complex on a lake. You dont have to enter and exit through a lobby. There is every kind of restauraunt, store and bar within 2 miles and its not that far from uptown.

Room Tip: Get one facing the lake. Super private.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
lancaster,pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

HOTEL IS A LITTLE BEHIND THE TIMES IN DECOR that being said it was clean,comfortable bed,all the staff were friendly and helpful Free breakfast was outstanding(waffles with fresh strawberries,blueberries and pecan bits)pool area was clean with nice loungers.the lobby area where we had breakfast was fantastic.

Room Tip: was close to speedway,concord shopping mall and hendrick motorsports complex
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Campbell, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stay at about 20-25 Hilton properties per year so my standards may be a little high. However, as a HHonors Gold member, I requested a non-smoking room about a week in advance; however, when I arrived, I was told all non-smoking rooms were filled and they had moved me to a smoking 2 bedroom suite.

First and foremost, there seems to be two sides to this hotel as some are reporting fantastic conditions; however, where I was situated seemed to be in rough shape. I was in Room 203 and that side had faded paint with the walkways having paint scratching all over. The carpet in the room also had stains on it which was a little off-putting.

Secondly, the hot water in the shower was in very short supply. In fact, I had to start my shower in one of the bathrooms and then move to a second bathroom to finish showering.

Third, if you're planning to come back to this property around rush hour, please make sure to note that this hotel is on a very busy street. Getting from the highway to this hotel (~0.5mi) can take up to 20 mins as there is a lot of congestion.

Fourth, I had to turn off the A/C in the room as whatever was coming out of the vents was setting off my allergies.

On the positive side, the staff here is excellent and I had no issues. They were very helpful when I was in a rush to get to a meeting and there was no coffee. They went out of the way and got me some fresh brew from the kitchen.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 203
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear munjalm,
My name is Tien Ning and I am the general manager here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton – Charlotte/University. I am writing to you in response to the review that you had filled out on trip advisor in reference to your previous stay. I wanted to thank you for taking your time to write a review because I know how these can be very time consuming and being a gold member, I understand you must travel a lot meaning you are very busy. So once again, thank you. Without your feedback, we would not know what we need to improve on. Here at Homewood Suites, it is our goal to provide the best service and accommodations for all of our guests and to maintain those Hilton standards one would expect. Since you did not experience this, I greatly apologize to you and for your inconveniences relating to your last stay.
I would like to just use this time to address a few of the issues that you listed in your review. Since 2010, we have been undergoing very large renovations which began with the interiors of the rooms. We are currently still in the process of the renovations and are now beginning our stretch to update the exteriors of our buildings, even including some interior renovations. As you noted and I have observed, the exteriors of the buildings are in need of a makeover. In order to fulfill this and remain up to par with Hilton standards, we are improving several aspects of our property. These include (but are not limited to), the painting of all buildings on our property, the repair of any windows / screens / doors that are not in shape, the pressure washing and cleaning of our pathways / buildings, the replacement of all carpets in our buildings, and the replacement of our hot water heaters. This is going to take some time but we are sure that once they are finished, we will have achieved the expectations of a Hilton brand hotel. However, I must take the time to apologize as our lack of these improvements did not create a comfortable stay for you. Also, I have spoken with the front desk staff in order to prevent any future occurrences of a guest requesting a non-smoking room but placed in a smoking room.
As a gold member, you are a very valued guest to us and we greatly appreciate your business. I must once again thank you for your feedback from your previous stay as it brought to our attention aspects of our hotel that we need to work on – we are continually working on maintaining those Hilton standards. This feedback, without your provision, could remain unnoticed and make the stay less than desirable for other guests, therefore, I do highly thank you for your time. We hope to have another opportunity to host you in the near future and if you return after our renovations are complete, I know you will be very satisfied with your stay. In the mean time, if you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please feel free to contact me directly. Once again, I apologize as we did not meet your expectations but do hope to have you stay with us another time.

Tien Ning
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

After being displaced from our home by a tornado on March 3rd, we checked in to this Hilton Family Hotel. We were extremely stressed and the staff at this hotel were extremely patient and kind. They took care of us to say the least!! The hotel was very clean even with their pet policy. No evidence that they allowed pets anywhere !!!

Hotel staff that actually walk up to you, SPEAK and are genuinely concerned about your stay?? Yes it still exists !!!

You cant go wrong with this Hotel...they do everything in their power to make you feel comfortable and "at home"

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NARGEE
Roanoke, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Let me start my review by saying my stay actually was NOT 100% problem-free (though, mind you, the issues were easily correctible, and are being addressed...so not to worry), but I was SO PLEASED with how Catherine Harris, the General Manager responded to my concerns that I would go back in a heartbeat, without hesitation, and I would reccommend friends and co-workers stay here as well. Bottom line, you're in good hands if you stay here...my review is a bit lengthy, but bear with me--it's worth reading about the entire experience.

I'd also like to point out that I ALWAYS use TripAdvisor when selecting a hotel and the community here has never steered me wrong and this place is no exception...before I booked my stay I saw many great reviews of this hotel and also noticed that the GM actively reads and comments on the feedback so I knew I was staying at a hotel that truly cared about their guest's experience, and to me, that's important.

Now on to the details...

I stayed here for one night while on a business trip. I booked the 573 sq ft 1BR King Suite which, according to the website, should have included a fireplace and DVD player. To my dismay when I got to my room there was no fireplace and no DVD player. I called the front desk right away. The girl at the desk said the fireplace rooms are on a first-come first-served basis (huh? well what's the point of making a reservation if you don't actually RESERVE the room for me?) and that all the DVD players were checked out (which surprised me as well, as it was listed as one of the room ammenities on the website---not as an "available upon request" sort of thing). In an attempt to correct things, though, the girl at the front desk offered to upgrade me to a much larger 2 bedroom suite, which DID have the fireplace. I gladly accepted. Something to note about the fireplaces--apparently they are regular log-fed fireplaces...I had assumed they would be gas. The front desk has logs for sale, but you wouldn't know that. You also have to come up with a way to start your own fire, as there's nothing in the room for that, either. ANYWAY as it turns out, it would be a moot point, as the room was 80 degrees during my stay and would not cool down despite having put the A/C at 50 overnight. Come to find out the cooling tower was broken and was in the middle of being repaired. Unfortunate for me, but obviously just an issue of bad timing and it wouldn't be like that normally.

One of the rooms in the 2BR suite looked like either terrible furniture movers had come through or cheap labor was used on rennovations--as there were black streaks all over the walls and baseboards (like something had been carried and dragged across them), there was a small piece of drywall missing under a vent in the bathroom, paint was scuffed up to heck on the door jams, and a closet door knob was pulled about one inch away from the door--bare screws showing. The other room in the suite showed some similar issues, though not nearly to the same extent. It's also worth noting that the room that the hotel originally had me in had no such problems and if these issues get fixed it would be a truly lovely place to stay.

Breakfast was good and included with the room rate...more than just the standard carbs that a lot of places include these days. Just enough to get you going for a day full of meetings and delicious. The staff working the breakfast area were extremely kind, courteous, and friendly as well (which, in my experience, is a first...at every other hotel I've stayed at these type of employees either keep to themselves or are just good-ol-fashioned grumpy).

I'd also like to point out that the grounds that the hotel is on are rather nice, with a pond in the back and such. Definitely gives you more of an apartment or condo-like feel than a cheap motel room or something like that....all while still having a reasonable rate.

AND HERE'S WHY I STILL LOVE THIS PLACE:

Upon checkout I made sure to catch the General Manager, Catherine before heading out. I told her about my experience and showed her pictures I captured on my cellphone to illustrate my point...Mind you I wasn't trying to make a big fuss about anything, but I wanted her to know so she could have the easily-correctable problems fixed. Catherine was SO geniuinely apologetic and disappointed to hear that my stay was less than ideal and she wanted to make it right. I won't go into all the details, but she went ABOVE AND BEYOND to take care of my current stay and ensure my return to the hotel the next time I was in Charlotte. At one point I even mentioned to her how much I loved the hotel towels (by far the best I've ever had at any hotel....the complete opposite of that sandpaper most places expect you to dry off with!) and a few days after I arrived home there was a FedEx pacakge on my doorstep with a fresh set of towels waiting for me--sent by Catherine Harris, of course! Now THAT'S the kind of care and attention to detail I want.

Catherine is a top-notch GM and is an example of how every employee in the hospitality business should be. As I said before, I had some bad luck/bad timing during my stay, but thanks to a fantastic GM, I WOULD NOT HESISTATE TO RETURN. You can confidently book your next stay here knowing you're in good hands.

Room Tip: There are two versions of the 1BR King Suite (one is much larger--573 sq ft--and includes a fireplac...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank HonestReviewer_in_VA
HWSCharlotteNorth, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Good Morning HonestReviewer_in_VA,

I wanted to thank you again for your time in our many conversations and for the feedback you have left on Trip Advisor.

As a General Manager, it is imperative to me that we do all we can to create loyalty and relationships for our hotel in both the good and the not-so-good circumstances. In order to achieve these results, I know that I cannot accomplish this alone -- it takes an entire team to run this hotel and we all share the same values: to provide the Best Service and Accommodations for all of our guests.

We (the Hotel Team) were defintely faced with that challenge during your stay with us when our Cooling Tower was being repaired. We knew what a burden this was for all of our guests, especially as the temperatures unseasonably increased throughout this particular week, and we knew a simple apology clearly could not express to you or any of our other guests how truly bad we felt.

HonestReviewer_in_VA, it was by far an absolute pleasure meeting and speaking with you. Again I sincerely apologize to you that your stay was less than exceptional. Please know all the concerns you spoke with me about have since been corrected, as we do not want any of our guests to have the same issues and concerns. When we are faced with unfortunate circumstances, we do try our best to not only correct those things within our control, but to also do all we can to prevent them from recurring.

I wish you and your family a very Happy Holidays! All of us here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Logan, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel twice now and are very impressed with the property. The staff is warm and accommodating. The rooms are super comfortable and clean. They offer one of the nicest complimentary breakfasts in the business. The location on Tryon St. is perfect for visiting Lowes Motor Speedway - just down the road, no need to get on the Interstate. Its also great for NASCAR Hall of Fame and all the attractions downtown. Its only a 15 minute drive to downtown and there's great shopping and restaurants near the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Raylo,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback with Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay with us as I know how time consuming this can be. I read and respond to each survey that comes in and use them as celebration and training tools so we can better be of service to our wonderful guests. Our goal is to provide the Best Accommodations and Service for all of our guests and when we see we have accomplished what we are here to do it puts a smile on all of our faces as this is our goal for each and everyone of our guests.

I do hope in the future when you are traveling back to the Charlotte Area we will again have the opportunity to host you during your time in Charlotte. We here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte North wish you and yours a very Happy and Safe Holiday. Again Raylo thank you for your feedback it is greatly appreciated.

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

After reading all of the great reviews on this site, I felt I had made a good decision in booking a room at this hotel. My disappointment began as soon as I arrived. The hotel is not so much a hotel, but a converted apartment complex that was converted to a wanna be hotel (more like a motel); wish someone would have noted that in their review as this would have been enough to make me reconsider my decision of booking a room there.

Upon walking in my suite I was greeted by a horrible stench of Indian food that permeated the air in my room. I complained to the hotel staff and was told they could only move me to a smoking room (I have asthma, so that was not an alternative). They offered to have someone spray something (ended up being Febreeze and took care of the smell for all of 30 minutes).

About 2 hours after checking in, I saw something crawling on the ceiling of the room above the bed; it was a spider. When I tried to kill the spider it fell on the bed. I ended up killing the spider on the bed and needed new bedding. Someone had to come change the sheets because the bed did NOT have a duvet or any form of bed spread whatsoever. There was a flimsly, $4 type cheap blanket available across the foot of the bed; otherwise, the bed simply had a fitted and a flat sheet, but NO DUVET as the hotel website states are on their beds. The king size bed also only had two pillows.

My room was on the first floor, so on a whim, I decided to make sure the windows were locked. 3 out of 4 were unlocked. Very safe for a woman traveling by herself on business.

The first morning in the hotel I killed an earwig on the bathroom floor and some other form of beetle on the floor as well. Mind you, I have traveled about 50 days this year and have never had to kill any bugs or spiders at the hotels I have stayed at before.

While I was at work the first full day at the hotel, they pumped ozone into the room to get rid of the Indian food smell. That night, the smell seemed to have cleared for the most part...until the next morning. It was back in full force.

I have never in my life found a hotel so have such deplorable conditions that I had to check out early, until this experience. Despite all of these annoyances, I felt the staff acted as though I was being nit-picky by asking to remove a nasty room smell, to have the room sprayed for bugs (I pay about $250 per year to spray for spiders and bugs at my house and have not had one in my house ever since the service began - seems the hotel could do this too), and ensure that the windows remain locked in my room. While they said sorry, they seemed more annoyed that I would complain about these things.

I would highly recommend that you not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HWSCharlotteNorth, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte-North/University Research Park, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear simpletraveler401,

My name is Catherine Harris and I am the General Manager for the Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte North. I am writing to you today in response to your recent review on Trip Advisor.

First of all thank you for taking the time to complete the survey, I use these reviews on a daily basis as a learning tool for our hotel and staff to better serve you as our guest. It is our goal to provide the best service and accommodations for all of our guests and we apologize to you as our guest that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

My Assistant General Manager contacted you in regards to your stay with us on November 17, 2011 and I want to make sure you did receive this as well. We want you to know that you are a very valued guest and your business is greatly appreciated. We want all of our guests to enjoy their stay with us where everything is as close to "Home" as possible.

Again simpletraveler401 we do hope in the future you will give us another opportunity to host you in the Charlotte Area. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to further discuss your stay with us or assist you anything else, you can contact me at the hotel 704-549-8800 or please feel free to email me. I do hope you have a wonderful day and safe travels. Have a safe and Happy Holiday.