“Single women pick another hotel with better security”

Hyatt Place Charlotte Airport/Tyvola Road
Ranked #40 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed June 21, 2010

The hotel is very nice. I liked the way the front desk was setup with a small lounge area. They offered adequate food selections (snack food) like pizza and sandwiches. They did have a bar in the lounge area to order alcoholic drinks.
My problem occurred at 3am. I was staying on the first floor of the hotel. Prior to going to sleep for the night I locked the door with the metal door lock. At 3 am someone entered my room. I heard the metal door lock catch and the door slam shut. I looked out the peep hole but didn’t see anything. The metal door lock was sticking straight out and no longer flat against the door. I contacted the front desk (Chris) and he stated someone had just checked in they must have tried the wrong room. I informed him that no one tried my door they actually opened the door. He stated that wasn’t possible but that he would check the hallway. I then checked my window to make sure it was locked and it was but the lock was not adequate and when unlocked the entire window opened up to the parking lot with no screen on the window. At this point I contacted my coworker and went and stayed the remainder of the night in her room. I returned to my room at 6am. When I checked out at 7am Chris was still on duty and informed he and security checked around but did not see anything. Since I left my room I was surprised that he never tried to follow up with me to ensure I was safe. There was no voice mail left on my phone nor were the police contacted. I did not feel that the he took me serious. I contacted the assistant manager Christine later in the day and she offered to compensate my room back to my account and offered that in the future I stay on an upper floor as the windows do not open. I thought the windows didn’t open so people wouldn’t jump out not to keep people out or to offer the guests safety? The fact that the first floor windows open up completely with no screens is not secure for the guests at all. In addition Christine said she would contact security and run a report on my room door lock to see what times keys entered the door lock. When she called me back she did not see any door key entering my room at 3 am. The only entry was 7pm, 8pm and 6am. I can only assume that whoever entered also knew how to enter without being noticed. I cannot in good conscience not warn other people that someone odd is going on at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed May 19, 2010

I stayed here for two nights, after arriving at the airport. I didn't have a car, which was a problem, as there is no restaurant at the hotel, just snacks, and the only close ones are fast food places. So if you're looking for a decent place for dinner, it's not easy. There is a sports bar a 12 minute walk away, but if it's raining you're out of luck (Ironically, there's another Hyatt Place right next to it). They have a shuttle, but you better plan plenty of time to get it... both times I tried the wait was over 20 minutes - for it just to arrive. I walked instead.

The internet is another problem. Although they have free wifi, it's pretty slow, and seemed to slow down at night, probably because everyone was using it. This is compounded by the poor AT&T cell service. It's non existent in the lobby, and spotty in the rooms.

On the plus side, they have a very nice continental breakfast, free newspapers including the WSJ, the rooms are spacious and nicely appointed.

But for a business traveler without a car, I'd skip it. You're isolated both physically and digitally.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Had to make a last minute reservation as Delta canceled my flight. Good experience .. only complaint is airport noise... had to be expected. Great friendly staff including the shuttle bus operator.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I was very excited that I got such a great deal on Priceline for this hotel (only $45+taxes). The room was simply amazing; a huge sofa area, coffee bar, desk, enormous tv, nice vanity area, and very comfy beds. Breakfast was awesome, lots of fresh fruit, yogurts, bagels, toast, cereals, and more traditional breakfasts were for purchase. I arrived late at night, they were very accomodating, helped me find something to snack on, and the shuttle service was right on time. My only complaints: there were no snack machines, and the ice machine on the floor was broken. There is only one restaurant nearby and it's a sportsbar, but stays open late. Also, if you're one of these picky travelers, I did find a hair on the counter and one in the tub. Not a big deal to me, it happens.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I had to wait more than 20 minutes for the shuttle to arrive at the airport after I called upon landing, apparently because someone called in sick and one shuttle was serving both nearby Hyatt Places. But, once I got to the hotel, the stay was fine. The rooms are modern with a comfy L-shaped couch and the best looking TV I have seen yet in a hotel (a 42" flat screen that pivots to either the couch area or the bed). The local channels are all in HD along with several others including HBO and ESPN. There's a switch panel that allows you to plug various devices in (for example portable DVD or laptop) for viewing on the big screen. The hotel is in an office park area. I stayed on a Sunday night and the area was very quiet (I didn't even hear airplane noise). There's a sub place and a Chinese grill in the building in front of the hotel but both were closed the evening I was there, so I took a pleasant half-mile walk down Tyvola to a Jocks & Jills sports bar, which was one of the nicer ones remaining in the chain. This restaurant is in front of the Hyatt Place City Park, so it's important to make sure you have the correct address when choosing these locations. The free Wi-Fi was easy to connect to, although the speed test I ran on my iPhone showed the connection speed was slower than the 3G over the phone. The breakfast fare wasn't elaborate, but the dining area was clean. The morning shuttle left for the airport at the scheduled time. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2010

This "Hyatt Place" is perfect for business travel. The Hotel is clean, in a safe area, and the rooms are huge, clean, and very comfortable.

I can assure you that you will not find a better hotel for this price. I travel often for business. I always stay in a higher end hotel. This hotel does not have the spa, indoor pool, large bar, or dining facilities that I am used too. However if you are on business, you will agree these features are never used anyway. If you are traveling for vacation, I would not stay here. There is not a lot to do at the hotel, it is very quite. Again perfect for business. The staff here are very accomidating, warm, and so friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to North Carolina for business purposes. Oh, and despite what is said, the wireless internet is FREE! I have rated this a four star simply because this hotel is best suited for business travelers exclusively, and is missing some features that a five star would have e.g. indoor pool (outdoor was closed during my visit), fine dinning, spa, etc. For my stay is was a FIVE star all the way.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed here for a day after being delayed at the airport. Airport shuttle was reliable and convenient. The staff here is very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are large but the layout is odd. The bathroom was not quite clean but the toiletries are very nice and fragrant. The included breakfast is pretty basic, you def have to pay for anything more substantial.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business