“Excellent Staff, Great Value!”

Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road
Ranked #90 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed February 17, 2007

I stayed at this hotel one night on February 16 and it was fantastic! I had a studio room and it was very spacious with a fully stocked kitchen and a large living area with bathroom. I have stayed at the Residence Inn before and I find all their rooms to be spacious, clean and comfortable. Scott, at the front desk was especially helpful and recommended many restaurants where I could order food since I got into Charlotte very late at night and was starving. I would definitely stay at this location again, and I was especially pleased at the low rate of $89/night. Perfect room, great value, helpful staff--I couldn't have asked for a better stay!

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank WorldTraveler526

Reviewed February 12, 2007

Stayed for one night on the way to Florida, was right off the I-77 south of Charlotte. Needed a pet friendly place, which Residence Inns accommodate. In my opinion the pet fee is high, at $75.
Used Marriott points because they had a pointsaver rate of only 10,000 points. Gave us a studio suite, which was clean, had a small but nice kitchen. Only had queen bed, which was comfortable enough. Couldn't see the tv from the bed very easily because of the chairs, so moved them out of the way.
Walked to Chile's restaurant
Will stay there again if in the Charlotte area.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed August 16, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for two nights August, 2006. We had a groundfloor (as requested), two bedroom, two bathroom suite. The rate was comparable to renting two separate hotel rooms but has the added bonus of the kitchen and living area. The living area was in the middle of the two bedrooms. Living area features a fireplace, sofabed, desk and kitchen complete with stove, full size fridge with icemaker and a dishwasher. Everything was spotless and in excellent condition! The kitchen had linen napkins, glass dishes and real glasses. (I hate hotels with cheap, plastic cups!) The beds were extremely comfortable with lots(!!) of great feather pillows! The outdoor pool was very clean and there is a basketball court and gas grill/picnic area, also. You also have use of the Marriott Hotel's gym and indoor/outdoor pool right next door (easy walk). The front desk staff was very helpful and courteous. The free breakfast was very good and had scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy, waffles, hot oatmeal, muffins, cereals, breads, bagels, juices, fresh fruit. Breakfast is from 6:30 to 9:30 AM weekdays (can't remember weekend hours). This hotel is right off of Route 77 at Exit 5. Great hotel for businesspersons or families. We loved this hotel, wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank PickyMama
Reviewed August 22, 2005

I stayed in a renovated penthouse loft & absolutely loved this spacious, contemporary room w/ ceramic flooring. I made use of the sofabed, the murphy bed, and the king sized bed upstairs. It was gorgeous, comfortable & clean & very nice for having a few friends over since I had two bathrooms & plenty of seating. I have stayed in Residence Inns throughout the country & this room was in the top 2 of my favorites. The staff was extremely nice.

I would give this establishment an outstanding rating, except that the breakfast was horrible compared to my experience at other Residence Inns. There was no meat of any kind & the only hot items were self-made waffles & eggs. It bordered on being a continental breakfast (w/ subpar fruit) as opposed to the wonderful buffet I've become accustomed to at other RI locations.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank iamloved
Management response:Responded May 18, 2006

Thank you for being so enthusiastic about our renovated guest suites. Yes, they are beautiful. I'm very sorry about the limited breakfast that we were offering at the time of your stay. I understand your dissatisfaction. The reason for the limited breakfast was due to the kitchen being renovated. We were not allowed to offer hot breakfast items until our kitchen was completely renovated based on safety regulations and codes we had to adhere to. Since November 2005, we have been offering the typical Residence Inn hot breakfast buffet. It's great!

Reviewed May 10, 2005

My husband and I travel to Charlotte frequently and usually stay here because of the great location and the fact that they allow you to bring pets.

The hotel is in a great location ~ very close to the South Park Mall which is one of the best malls ever and the Phillips Place Shopping Complex. The are many great restaurants in walking distance or a short drive away.

This hotel is not bad. It is very clean, has a full breakfast, every morning, and a wonderful staff that has always been great with us. If you are traveling with pets this is a great pet friendly hotel to stay in.

All of this being said, the rooms could use a little work. The furniture is starting to show wear, the linens desperately need replaced, and the beds have to be the most uncomfortable I have ever stayed in. The rooms are very clean though so I can't complain about that.

We stay here a lot and will continue to do so. if we didn't have the dog with uswe would stay at the Hampton Inn at Phillips Place.

• Stayed: March 2005
20  Thank brandyandbrian
Management response:Responded May 18, 2006

Thank you for consistently visiting our property during your trips to Charlotte. I am glad to hear that our rooms are clean. As far as the mattresses and linens are concerned, we completed our multi-million dollar renovation in November of 2005 and we now have very comfortable pillow-top mattresses with fresh new linens. All worn furniture have been replaced as well. Please come back so that you can see all our changes!

Reviewed November 23, 2004

THE WORST!! I'm a Marriott Platinum, stay over 100 nights a year at different hotels, primarily Marriotts. This is the WORST hotel I have stayed at since I was in college 30 years ago! DIRTY!! Disgusting would be better description. Most personnel were courteous and friendly, EXCEPT person (animal named Mike) at checkout in morning. Left message for GM to contact me, contacted Marriott corporate to have GM contact me. That was Oct. 31. The response of the GM, I believe her name is Mary Pat Hartman, is indicative of the level of professionalism at this eyesore. Ther isn't any!

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank bertnernie
Management response:Responded October 5, 2005

I was very sorry to hear about the Platinum guest's experience at the Residence Inn. I can say with confidence that whatever issues he may have faced have been remedied. In December 2004, we had top management changes and have focused very hard on identifying the areas that needed improvement and change. As far as housekeeping is concerned, we have new management overseeing that department and I haven't heard any complaints since. As a matter of fact, we received very high Marriott Q&A scores concerning the cleanliness of our property. In April 2005 we started a multi-million dollar renovation and it is scheduled to be completed in mid-October. The guest suites have new furniture, new pillow-top mattresses with more pillows and new bedding. Guests have loved the new decor of the rooms including the new beds! Because we were renovating the Gatehouse (where our kitchen is located), we were for a time unable to provide a full hot breakfast. This also changes this month (October). We have a great staff here and a newly renovated hotel that I believe have relieved any past problems we may have had. New photos will be posted within a month. Please contact me for any further concerns or questions. Remember, there is always two sides of a story so please read everything objectively when a guest makes a major complaint to any property.